Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    dedicate

Default Re: protecting the ball while driving in for a lay up?

Quote Originally Posted by Automajic23
    Are you serious? you posted in my other thread that you dropped 34 pts in a game with 8-10 assists and you have problems with this?

yes i do have this problem espeically against defensive oriented guards!

what does dropping 34 pts and having 8~10 assists have to do with this?

i usually pass and hit the open man before i get stripped but sometimes i need to buy a bucket or go to the line, i rather take it to the hole if you know what i mean , but when i try to do that, i always seem to mess it up hence i am here to get your advices to elevate my game :)

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by JG000
    I do this, and I'm the only person I've ever seen to do it...

I don't even protect the ball really, I actually do some slight of hand.

I put my opposite hand like I'm about to lay the ball up (empty handed, think of it like playing air guitar) then I bring my hand back down and actually go up for the lay-up

You'd be shocked on how many people that move jukes
    You're the only person to do it?
    I've seen so many people do it and it's not that good.

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    Good to know. I play with 15-20 different people at the park, and never see anyone else do it. A couple even question if it's legal.

And it works well enough for me. Opens up the lane every time.

you can't hate on the move if it works, and he is probably playing with underskilled people so it fools them frequent, but IT WORKS.

Play your game how you will in your environment

Quote Originally Posted by 623baller

yes i do have this problem espeically against defensive oriented guards!

what does dropping 34 pts and having 8~10 assists have to do with this?

i usually pass and hit the open man before i get stripped but sometimes i need to buy a bucket or go to the line, i rather take it to the hole if you know what i mean , but when i try to do that, i always seem to mess it up hence i am here to get your advices to elevate my game :)
    So you can score 34 pts in a game, but if someone actually plays defense on you, you instantly suck?

You can't possibly have the IQ and talent to distribute 8-10 dimes and get 34 points without knowing how to protect the ball driving to the basket unless:

-The competition your playing is terrible
    -Your team is amazingly good and you are getting wide open looks and taking a high volume of shots
    -you were literally on fire for a day

Unless you are experiencing 1 of those 3 you can't possibly drop a 34-10ast line if you can't do something as basic as protect the ball going to the rim

The only reason I score >>>> 20 pts in a game is because the team I'm playing on can't score or because I'm ballhogging, and the other teams D is suspect. When I actually play against legit competition in a game I won't score more than 10-16pts. Layups are probably the easiest way to get a basket how can you not know how to do it?

코비=GOAT

you can't hate on the move if it works, and he is probably playing with underskilled people so it fools them frequent, but IT WORKS.

Play your game how you will in your environment
    Not hating on the move. You can maybe use it one or two times, but after that the defender should learn to wait and block that ****.

Not hating on the move. You can maybe use it one or two times, but after that the defender should learn to wait and block that ****.
    I'm sure the defender isn't even playing defense. He said he scored 34 pts in a game, but can't even do something basic like this properly.

My Game's Nucking Futs The_Night_Elf's Avatar

I'm sure the defender isn't even playing defense. He said he scored 34 pts in a game, but can't even do something basic like this properly.
    Maybe he was taking jump shots all game. seriously though, you make a good point. I have never seen a guy get even 20PTS and 10 Assts if they don't know simple things like protecting the ball on a drive. Especially if the guy in playing PG. 34 and 10 sounds like himself and his teammates were on fire and hitting everything and the other team had no concept of how to play defense. Those two things combined is the only way I see that happening.

Sorry Baller, I don't mean to p!ss in your cereal or nothing it's jsut a bit shocking to hear this. If it went down then good on you man. As for protecting the ball I also try to keep it high and keep it moving depending on where the defenders are, as well as sometimes hold it like a running back...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Elf
    Maybe he was taking jump shots all game. seriously though, you make a good point. I have never seen a guy get even 20PTS and 10 Assts if they don't know simple things like protecting the ball on a drive. Especially if the guy in playing PG. 34 and 10 sounds like himself and his teammates were on fire and hitting everything and the other team had no concept of how to play defense. Those two things combined is the only way I see that happening.

Sorry Baller, I don't mean to p!ss in your cereal or nothing it's jsut a bit shocking to hear this. If it went down then good on you man. As for protecting the ball I also try to keep it high and keep it moving depending on where the defenders are, as well as sometimes hold it like a running back...
    Right

Power32 (OJ Mayo) O.J A 6'4Mamba's Avatar

Are you serious? you posted in my other thread that you dropped 34 pts in a game with 8-10 assists and you have problems with this?
    There is a perfect explaination for that This is his competition level

dedicate

LOL Automagic, you lmao,

i guess i can't be more of a pure shooter type of player? i avg 20 pts a game in recent years leagues/tournaments with a mix of 3s and mid range jumpshots against people that played high school varsity, but i guess they suck too?

yea, i did mention in my other post, the other teams guards were turning the ball over like crazy that's why i even scored 34 (i had a shiet load of 1 man fast breaks), and i probably shot probably 85% fg wise and i hit all my free throws. It was a brag post, and you would expect me to not post there when i scored 34? did i also not mention i didn't even play the entire game? i could probably have gone for 40~45? LOL but to your point , yea i would consider that game terrible competition at the guard positions which gave me the edge.

for impossible to hand out close to 10 assists comment:
    like i said in earlier posts, i dish the ball before they even strip/double me that's how i got my assists from ( when i burn the first guy or when people doubles me, i always find the open man, i m also good at organizing fast breaks and that's where most of my assists came from). if you want to call hitting the open man and passing before d sets up, no bball IQ, then whatever floats your boat.

i just played a decent guard, he didnt even attempt a lay up the entire game, and he had 25 + because he was lighting the 3 up, so again, that just proves everyone has a different style of play and different scoring methods. but i do agree with you that protecting the ball while driving is important that's why i even made the post because once i got that down, i am gona be unstoppable inside and out.

i'll let my game speak for myself, hopefully we do one of those forum meets one of these days, im sure i got lots to learn from yall

dedicate

Quote Originally Posted by The_Night_Elf

yea i definitely agree with you and him on this that's why i wana improve my game by getting advices from you guys, but i guess i should also be more specific on my style of play which is in the above thread

i should probably also be more specific about my question too. i do protect the ball while driving (you guys made me sound like i dont at all) but i do a horrible job of it, i guess i am asking how to effectively protect the ball while driving in , i cut the d up pretty good, just that sometimes i rather take it in myself then pass it off when i drew the double or help defense came that's where the strip occurs (the defender strips from behind or side)
    Last edited by 623baller; 10-01-2009 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 623baller
    LOL Automagic, you lmao,

i guess i can't be more of a pure shooter type of player? i avg 20 pts a game in recent years leagues/tournaments with a mix of 3s and mid range jumpshots against people that played high school varsity, but i guess they suck too?

yea, i did mention in my other post, the other teams guards were turning the ball over like crazy that's why i even scored 34 (i had a shiet load of 1 man fast breaks), and i probably shot probably 85% fg wise and i hit all my free throws. It was a brag post, and you would expect me to not post there when i scored 34? did i also not mention i didn't even play the entire game? i could probably have gone for 40~45? LOL but to your point , yea i would consider that game terrible competition at the guard positions which gave me the edge.

for impossible to hand out close to 10 assists comment:
    like i said in earlier posts, i dish the ball before they even strip/double me that's how i got my assists from ( when i burn the first guy or when people doubles me, i always find the open man, i m also good at organizing fast breaks and that's where most of my assists came from). if you want to call hitting the open man and passing before d sets up, no bball IQ, then whatever floats your boat.

i just played a decent guard, he didnt even attempt a lay up the entire game, and he had 25 + because he was lighting the 3 up, so again, that just proves everyone has a different style of play and different scoring methods. but i do agree with you that protecting the ball while driving is important that's why i even made the post because once i got that down, i am gona be unstoppable inside and out.

i'll let my game speak for myself, hopefully we do one of those forum meets one of these days, im sure i got lots to learn from yall
    IDK man big numbers like that are just not realistic at all, not even @ AAU level.
    Players generally don't drop 20-30 a game unless their team sucks, the offense is built purely around them, or the other team is terrible.

34 pts = 17 shot opportunities at least, 11.5 if you sank 11 3s and a layup. Just think about the numbers you are posting, not realistic unless the talent you are playing with is way below you.

Like I said, when I've played with better teams in the past, scoring 10-14pts was HIGH for me, because the team is GOOD. There is no reason for me to try to score more or I'd hurt my team. When you're on a good team that can attack in many ways efficiently, scoring more than 16pts is farfetched unless everything stopped working and you needed to "lebron" it in the closing minutes.

Just think about the game you described. 34pts with 10 asts. I posted a game where I scored 43pts once, but my team was horrible and I had the ball in my hands almost every possession and did not sit. The other team also had no bench so I literally ran down the court and layed it in (probably about 12 times). It was a high scoring game for me against a crappy team, with a crappier team cuz we still lost.

If you can drop 34, I honestly think the way you protect the ball going up is perfectly fine. If you are dropping 20+ pts on a legit team against legit comp then you shouldn't be taking advice from me because you are probably far better.

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

I usually do it once a game.

I always do flashy stuff like that, and I over-exaggerate all my ball fakes.

They work most of the time.

But my competition isn't that great

NBA Superstar

Edit: Nevermind, story was too long.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-02-2009 at 09:06 PM.