Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 60s Dream Team vs 2010s

Playing 60s rules, which means no 3pt line, crowded interior, dribbling rule enforced as specified in rule book, travelling enforced, higher pace.

Who wins? Oh and modern dream team has no time to adjust. They're thrown into a best of 7.

Motivation: Half of Real GM thinks the 67 all-star team would get destroyed by 2015 all-star team playing modern rules with 3pt line. No adjustment period allowed. And I have to wait 60 days to post after registering.

What I'd love to see is Hondo running James into the ground, and Russell doing the same for any modern era big.
    Last edited by Marchesk; 08-27-2015 at 02:48 AM.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Default Re: 60s Dream Team vs 2010s

I would love to see Curry run circles.... literally around Bob Cousy.

60s would get laughed off the court

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    I would love to see Curry run circles.... literally around Bob Cousy.
    Cousy can come in when Oscar and West need a spell. It's shameful to think what Oscar would do to Curry in the post.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1967.html

I am not going to give an opinion on this thread but the 1967 All Star roster was simply insane. Tons of true all time greats.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

With 60's legit basketball rules the 2010 players would turn the ball every time..they would need time to adjust. The lack of fundamentals would hurt them badly inside. I'm not sure who would be on the 60's team..am assuming

Oscar
    West
    Baylor
    Pettit
    Wilt

Hondo
    Cousy
    Thurmond
    Russell
    Jerry Lucas
    Hal Greer

That team would beat anyone especially with real basketball rules : 60's rules. Lebron travels all the time and can't play off the ball like a real SF. No 3pt'ers..so mid range jumpers would be tough for modern players. The 60's team is superior inside in all regards.

lol these people are killing me, 60s rules

10s would beat them WITHOUT dribbling the ball. that's how big the shooting difference is.
    You run a team with lebron '12/durant '13/curry '15/cp3/davis'15/howard and they'll bury that team with shooting, coming off screens. No dribbles taken at all.

They'll straight up outscore the 60s team, no matter what they do. The 10s team shots the 3 at a better rate than the 60s team shoots layups.

Y'all nigggas trippin in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by swagga
    lol these people are killing me, 60s rules

10s would beat them WITHOUT dribbling the ball. that's how big the shooting difference is.
    You run a team with lebron '12/durant '13/curry '15/cp3/davis'15/howard and they'll bury that team with shooting, coming off screens. No dribbles taken at all.

They'll straight up outscore the 60s team, no matter what they do. The 10s team shots the 3 at a better rate than the 60s team shoots layups.

Y'all nigggas trippin in this thread
    I don't think this is true since shooting 3s with 60s rules will only get you 2 pts.

'67 allstars (best of) vs 2015? 60s wins easily man. Realize all the contact that was allowed back then too. Harden (among others) would be flopping all over the place and Dwight would be getting knocked on his ass by Thurmond with no whistle. 2015 allstars would literally be in tears!

Oscar/West
    Barry/Hondo
    Baylor/Debusschere
    Thurmond/Reed (or Lucas for that matter)
    Russell/Wilt

Come on....

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    I don't think this is true since shooting 3s with 60s rules will only get you 2 pts.

'67 allstars (best of) vs 2015? 60s wins easily man. Realize all the contact that was allowed back then too. Harden (among others) would be flopping all over the place and Dwight would be getting knocked on his ass by Thurmond with no whistle. 2015 allstars would literally be in tears!

Oscar/West
    Barry/Hondo
    Baylor/Debusschere
    Thurmond/Reed (or Lucas for that matter)
    Russell/Wilt

Come on....
    basketball without a 3p shot is hot garbage tbh. All this shit about people being knocked on their ass should just tell you that you have no skill/athletic/tactical related argument, and in a game of basketball skill/athleticism/tactics wins. This ain't the UFC so gtfo with all the goonery, being overly physical just means you admit you're an inferior player.

if you take it no 3p shot and physical game you'd probably roll with a:
    lebron PG
    durant SG
    melo SF
    Ibaka PF
    howard C

which is as physical as it gets tbh. They'd just bomb from deep and defend with crazy length. They got enough size to rebound equally. Easy win, no dribbling.
    Last edited by swagga; 08-27-2015 at 03:10 PM.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

basketball without a 3p shot is hot garbage tbh. All this shit about people being knocked on their ass should just tell you that you have no skill/athletic/tactical related argument, and in a game of basketball skill/athleticism/tactics wins. This ain't the UFC so gtfo with all the goonery, being overly physical just means you admit you're an inferior player.

if you take it no 3p shot and physical game you'd probably roll with a:
    lebron PG
    durant SG
    melo SF
    Ibaka PF
    howard C

which is as physical as it gets tbh. They'd just bomb from 3 and defend with crazy length. They got enough size to rebound equally. Easy win, no dribbling.
    There are no 3's do you get that. So you would take long 2's sure go ahead. While the other team get's 2's closer to the basket which which is more efficient. They were also used to shooting mid range jumpers not long distance 3's so the mid range shot would not be an issue with them. Even the big men like Wilt, Thurmond, had mid range shots. Lucas had 3pt range. No flopping, that's something today's players would have to adjust to as well. Flopping is a no call or even a technical. You have to dribble with your hand on top of the ball, no palming the ball, that's a quick turnover. You can't tell me that Thurmond, Russell, Wilt, Oscar and others could not match today's players athleticism. As soft as today's players are they would not like the physical style of the 60's.

which is as physical as it gets tbh. They'd just bomb from 3 and defend with crazy length. They got enough size to rebound equally. Easy win, no dribbling.
    I agree the game now is about tactics and finesse. Back then, it was a battle of wills! Even so, the team you listed above (without the 3) would get beasted on. Bron would definitely get stripped by West (some of fastest hands ever by all accounts) and probably would have a difficult time posting Oscar (since we know Bron's post skills ). Durant would dominate Barry, then again, Barry would dominate Durant. Similar players tbh in terms of ease of scoring. Melo and Baylor would be an interesting matchup. Baylor is basically 60s bron so I'm guessing the match would go as such.

Then however you have the bigs...the paint. Ibaka is raped. I don't know what else to say. Raped. Dwight would be able to grab some boards but we already know how he gets when frustrated (hooray fouling out!). He gets dominated by Russ and Wilt and likely has to sit very early which opens an even bigger hole in the pain. I honestly don't see a possible way the 2015s could win. Btw, I find it funny you think these 60s players were so unskilled. They had significantly better fundamentals than today and we've seen how that manifests (Duncan/Love)

Edit: If you really think no dribbling would happen, how do you explain Jerry West still doing well vs Frazier? Frazier is a much better perimeter defender than anyone you listed.
    Last edited by Dbrog; 08-27-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Banned

60s is going too far back second half of 70s to today you can get good matches

basketball was still a game for sissies in the 60s everyone liked boxing hockey and baseball

a lot of careers were probably wasted because of low pays and exposure and i bet a lot of top talent never made it into the league because of it

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Jackson

basketball was still a game for sissies in the 60s everyone liked boxing hockey and baseball

a lot of careers were probably wasted because of low pays and exposure and i bet a lot of top talent never made it into the league because of it
    You do realize a late 70s allstar team would be significantly worse right? Have you studied anything about that era?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dbrog
    You do realize a late 70s allstar team would be significantly worse right? Have you studied anything about that era?
    i was a kid then and saw it happen the talent was definitely better

top stars look better when the rank & file are worse

not only would the depth on a 60s dream team suffer but the top 60s guys arent as good as they looked because they stood out so far above the rank & file

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Jackson

Greatness is greatness. You can't choose what era you are born in. The 60's had some seriously great superstars. I agree the talent pool was pretty weak but still, there were some great superstars.