Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Danny Ainge is the best GM in the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Remember when people gave Ainge crap for trading Perkins for Green?
    Believe it or not, my brother still does!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tontoz
    Yeah he loses points for the Green deal but overall he is a good GM.
    So you would rather have Perkins than Jeff Green right now?

Green is a really good person, but when it comes to basketball, he's really not that great. He's had about as much effect on winning as JR Smith this year tbh. He could be a really good 3rd/4th option though. He literally said himself that he doesn't like being the go-to guy, that it's too much responsibility and too difficult. Still, the Perkins trade was worth it. Haha.

Remember when people gave Ainge crap for trading Perkins for Green?
    I think it was a bad trade on both ends. Celtics got the better end of the deal though.

Jeff Green would never fit in OKC's plans because of Ibaka's increased role and the fact that Durant plays Green's natural position. Sure he could hypothetically be brought from the bench, but he's not a go to scorer who brings offensive power immediately. It's been clear that Green isn't a primary scoring option either as noted by this past season. He's got such a nice kit to be a offensive focal point, but he's not naturally comfortable approaching the game that way, which is why he's not working out so well in the Celtics's plans.

Perkins wouldn't really help with the Celtic's later playoff runs because of his injury. Trading him destroyed moral for both the Celtics and Perkins. Maybe Rondo and KG covered his deficiencies so well, but now these days, he just seems like he can't be counted upon to do his role. Perkins looks sad and out of place. Certainly overpaying him was a bad idea too.

The Green/Perkins trade made perfect sense for the C's at that time. They needed a big, athletic wing to throw at LeBron James. Paul Pierce couldn't do the job by himself.

It was projected that both O'Neals would be ready for the playoffs (which turns out didn't happen), so having a 70% healthy Perkins was deemed less necessary.

Also, Green >>>> Perk in general.

Quote Originally Posted by ballup
    I think it was a bad trade on both ends. Celtics got the better end of the deal though.

Jeff Green would never fit in OKC's plans because of Ibaka's increased role and the fact that Durant plays Green's natural position. Sure he could hypothetically be brought from the bench, but he's not a go to scorer who brings offensive power immediately. It's been clear that Green isn't a primary scoring option either as noted by this past season. He's got such a nice kit to be a offensive focal point, but he's not naturally comfortable approaching the game that way, which is why he's not working out so well in the Celtics's plans.

Perkins wouldn't really help with the Celtic's later playoff runs because of his injury. Trading him destroyed moral for both the Celtics and Perkins. Maybe Rondo and KG covered his deficiencies so well, but now these days, he just seems like he can't be counted upon to do his role. Perkins looks sad and out of place. Certainly overpaying him was a bad idea too.
    It was bad for both teams at the time, I agree. But people were acting like OKC got the better end of the deal at the time. People didn't realize Perkins was just a product of KG, Perkins has been AWFUL in OKC, especially in the playoffs. There is no doubt Jeff Green is the more productive player right now.

It was bad for both teams at the time, I agree. But people were acting like OKC got the better end of the deal at the time. People didn't realize Perkins was just a product of KG, Perkins has been AWFUL in OKC, especially in the playoffs. There is no doubt Jeff Green is the more productive player right now.
    Maybe I only remember my side cause I don't recall OKC fans being enthralled about the deal. They got Nate Rob in the deal, who came off of a positive playoff situation. Maybe that's why.

I would much rather have had a shot at the 2011 NBA Finals over Jeff Green. All we had was a hurt Shaq against a Miami team that was beatable.

I 100% let Perk walk for nothing to free agency for a shot at title 18.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    I would much rather have had a shot at the 2011 NBA Finals over Jeff Green. All we had was a hurt Shaq against a Miami team that was beatable.

was 2011 the same year Rondo suffered an injury vs Miami in the playoffs? Even with Perkins they would have lost.

Banned

2011 Celtics with Perk looked like legit Championship contenders. The trade for Green has turned out better for us now, but it cost us a shot at the Finals possibly. I thought we could've beaten the Heat and the Bulls that year with Perk, don't know about the Mavs with the form Dirk was in though.

No. Perkins sucks but that doesn't change the fact that Green is way overpaid. Not sure what Ainge was thinking giving him that much money.

I wouldn't want either one.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Shade8780
    2011 Celtics with Perk looked like legit Championship contenders. The trade for Green has turned out better for us now, but it cost us a shot at the Finals possibly. I thought we could've beaten the Heat and the Bulls that year with Perk, don't know about the Mavs with the form Dirk was in though.
    At the start of the year I thought the 2011 Celtics were the strongest they ever were in the Big 3 era. They just couldn't stay healthy, and the Perk trade happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Derka

Perk wouldn't have done much fron a personel standpoint. Did you see how slow he was when he came back?

I am your soldier!

was 2011 the same year Rondo suffered an injury vs Miami in the playoffs? Even with Perkins they would have lost.
    If by suffered you mean Wade hurt him.

If they had a healthy Shaq/JO/Perk they would've been fine. The team became a patchwork of scrubs due to health issues.

The team should've been:

Rondo/Bradley/Delonte
    Ray/Nate
    Pierce/Quis
    KG/Baby
    Shaq/JO/Perk

Quote Originally Posted by ballup
    Perk wouldn't have done much fron a personel standpoint. Did you see how slow he was when he came back?
    How slow he was? At what point was he ever anything that could maybe be confused as quick?

Once that defense got set in the halfcourt, they would have been fine.

Its debatable that anyone could have stopped Dirk and the Mavs that year, for sure. But the C's would have been there and I have no doubts about that. Miami wasn't ready yet.