Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #46
qwerty
(o_0)
 
qwerty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,434
Default Re: want hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlDeRaDo_64
Im 13 and doin 250 calf stretches a day, is that safe cos i realy wanna grow.. when im 14 ill do 500 and when im 15 ill do 1000, i realy hope it doesnt co ive been doin it for like ages now



thats actually really bad for you. you probably already stopped growing. u shouldnt be doing any exercises until your at least 18. i would go to your doctor immediatly.
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:20 AM   #47
orfeomorfeo-ita
I usually hit open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: want hops

sheesh! please don't talk nonsense.
olderado, you won't stop growing because of calf stretches.
Let's get clear about this issue once and for all.
"problems with growth" doesn't mean "you'll stop growing"
Trainings so hard to stop your growth are great weight lifting exercises.. not some calf raises..
This doesn't mean that you didn't make a mistake, olderado: the fact is this (again):
connetive tissue (ligaments, and tendons) are slower to reach the complete development than muscles. Moreover, they are far less reactive to training than muscles are. You have to imagine your muscle like an engine attached to two springs. If you train, the muscle will react, and try to increase its properties, that's to say, its strenght. It will become fast a bigger and stronger engine. Unfortunately, tendons and ligaments don't react so quickly, and they spend a longer time to develope. In a developed body (19 yrs and over, at least), ligs. and tends. are strong enough to stand the strenghtening of the muscle. During the big growth phase, when they are already stressed by the lenghtening of the bones, they are not able to stand a great increase of strenght for the muscles. The consequences are injuries like tendinitis, ligaments weakening that could result in a major injury in the future (breaking of the ACL, i.e., is a classic)..
This is why you don't have to exaggerate with strenght increasing. That doesn't mean you have to stop training your strenght. Simply, remember that in your body there are "silently" weak parts, that you cannot force to train.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 AM   #48
orfeomorfeo-ita
I usually hit open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: want hops

double post
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #49
The Phenom
Saw a basketball once
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2
Default Re: want hops

Dear Lilspyda,

I'm glad that you seem to have come to a truce with Nexus, because it was kind of getting annoying. (Now I'm not one to hate but if any of you guys take offence to this I apologize) As an 11 year old don't you think it was a wise idea to listen to Nexus after all? I'm not saying your stupid or dumb, I'm just saying that instead of having the tiffle in the first place you could've just tried what Nexus said and maybe have saved some of the flaming done around here. I know you would be sick of my little rant so I will conclude with this: Good Job on finally listening Lilspyda You proved your not totally immature at all. ;P.

Dear Nexus and other ballers to whom it may concern,

I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

STEP 1: First warm up by doing a lot of stretching.
STEP 2: Then do 40 calf raises on each leg.
STEP 3: Next do 50 wall squats.
STEP 4: Then do mini jumps.
STEP 5: Finally stretch some more.

I feel developed enough to do either of these choices but being a mere 14 year old, I also know I'm am still young and naive and the older ballers will have more experience and knowledge than I. If you say I should do neither, what do you recommend I should do in order to train my "game" (Taking into account the fact the I haven't been playing ball for very long so I don't have everything "down" yet). Maybe you could prescribe a little training regime that I could do in order to become a better baller on the whole rather than in just one aspect.

In closing, I would like to thank you all for putting up with this long post/rant and hope that I may be able to receive more help from someone offering to give it to me in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

The Phenom.
The Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #50
orfeomorfeo-ita
I usually hit open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: want hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phenom
I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

STEP 1: First warm up by doing a lot of stretching.
STEP 2: Then do 40 calf raises on each leg.
STEP 3: Next do 50 wall squats.
STEP 4: Then do mini jumps.
STEP 5: Finally stretch some more.

Well:

Stretching doesn't warm up muscles. Instead, stretching when you are not already warm up somehow is quite dangerous, because you force muscles to elongate when they're not ready.
Best ways to warm up for a total-body activity are running and ropejumping.
Running is a bit more boring, for me, howevere you have to keep at a low pace for at least 15 minutes, if you want to be sure your warm up is complete. Ropejumping has some advantages, if you want to warm your bball play, but you need to learn to do it well and quickly. And however 15 minutes are necessary.

Then, you can stretch.

When you've finished stretching, a small rule for strenght trainings: You have to execute first the most complex exercise, and/or those that involve more muscles and joints in your body. Then the most simple and repetitive ones.

And also keep in mind that a strenght training must be complete. Strenght must grow in a homogeneus way in your whole body, or you'll creat small inbalances that will eventually generate minor injuries.

So you have to add at least other exercises for your lower body (and train your upper body during another session), that's to say: buttocks, femoral biceps and whole back side of the leg, the shinbone muscle, the feet muscles..

It's better if you do some more complete exercises and reduce the number of raises, i.e.

a good exercise in italian is called something like "dippings" : you have to execute a very long step, keeping your torso vertical, a step so long that you have to let your buttocks get really near to the ground. With your hands on your hips, you walk a few steps (20, for 3 times) this way. You obviously raise yourself anitime you lift the hind leg, and lower again yourself when you bring it far in front of you.

This is just one exercise.. in recent messages about this topics in this forum there're some more tips. I gotta go now. Bye


Orfeomorfeo:

PS

However, as I told you all several times, during this age you should learn anything that is techical, or that concerns abilities.. like handling, jumping techniques, movements on the floor, everything that doesn't depend on how strong is your body but on how well your head makes it move. There's plenty of time in the future to increase your strenght, but your sensibility to technical trainings (coordination and similar abilities) reduces quickly from your age to, say, 22 yo.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #51
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,779
Default Re: want hops

touching net is easy. any ~5'6" to 5'7" with average hops can touch net.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #52
KZ_23
Saw a basketball once
 
KZ_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40
Default Re: want hops

My advice is dont use a stupid program. With all the time people look on the internet and search for a program, they could be doing basic leg training and working on their jump. You dont need a stupid program to get hops, just work on it. If you want ideas, just gimme a shout and i'll give you basic training exercises. Dont spend your money on stupid air alert and other programs. Its not worth the money.
KZ_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 PM   #53
mrsulko
Saw a basketball once
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Default Re: want hops

I don't know about you but the program that I've had the best experience with
is aware jump. It's at www.aware-jump.com
I'm tired of all that crap out there on improving your vertical game. All these co called "mentors" are just trying to get most of our hard earned money. some programs are costing over $200. We are young and not all of us have that much money. If you are looking for a cheap program that is really effective, look no further and check out aware jump. It will really help you improve you game on a lot of levels.
mrsulko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #54
Chocogrease
Decent playground baller
 
Chocogrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: house
Posts: 394
Default Re: want hops

dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:55 PM   #55
otmtheshank
High School Starter
 
otmtheshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 844
Default Re: want hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocogrease
dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad

Your mom and dad are both around average height for their gender, so you'll probably grow to around the same height as your dad. However, my mom and dad are 5'8, and 5'7, and I am already 6'1, so it varies from person to person, so you might be able to reach 6 feet or taller.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #56
Chocogrease
Decent playground baller
 
Chocogrease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: house
Posts: 394
Default Re: want hops

alright thx
Chocogrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #57
cantrelle00
Saw a basketball once
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 27
Default Re: want hops

well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@
cantrelle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:15 AM   #58
orfeomorfeo-ita
I usually hit open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: want hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantrelle00
well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@


briefly, because you should learn to check the freaking amount of messages all about the same topic in this forum:

a) liftinq weight at yur age is dangerous. It's too early, and you could risk serious or minor injuries
b) dunking is not a duty. When judgin' an athlete, you often refer to the quality of his "feet".. that means that regardless of his muscular mass, his athletic talent depends on how reactive his feet are. By reactive I refer to a bunch of neuromuscular qualities and abilities that are hardly trainable.
So, if you have slow feet (and I guess you have) either you grow much more than this or you won't dunk. And who cares.
If you wanna dunk only because you wanna dunk, that's stupid.
If you wanna dunk because you think you'd be a better player, you should increase other sides of your play, in particular, at your age it's CRITICAL that you devote the greatest part of your trainin time to coordination, technique, and generally all those abilities that make you play well, not play strong.
Learn the play really well. Then, in a few years, adding muscular mass could have a meaning. Right now, it's a waste and a danger.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #59
otmtheshank
High School Starter
 
otmtheshank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 844
Default Re: want hops

There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:00 AM   #60
orfeomorfeo-ita
I usually hit open layups
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 157
Default Re: want hops

Quote:
Originally Posted by otmtheshank
There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.


But what the hell, do you know what you're talkin about?

A) there's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16: Yes, there's a lot wrong. It's dangerous for de muscular, scheletrical and connettive tissue.

B) You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height: No. There's an enormous amount of variables, but growth isn't over until 22.

Please, when you try to be helpful about things that regard also health, be sure you know something about it, instead of giving your fallen-from-the-sky opinion.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube










Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy