Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #436
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

The difference was very noticeable to those who watched the two.

Something more recent?....how about this:


Minnesota Vikings rushing
2012 - 2,634 total yards, 5.4 YPC - (healthy Peterson)
2013 - 2,081 total yards, 4.9 YPC - (banged up Peterson)
2014 - 1,804 total yards, 4.4 YPC - (no Peterson)
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #437
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

The RB matters...this trendy way of thinking that is going on, that the RB is the least important position in the game, it will fade.

The RB may be less important career wise because they tend to have the shortest careers, but it is not the least important position in any single year. DeMarco Murray was easily one of the most important players on the Dallas roster last year. The guy got MVP votes ffs.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:09 PM   #438
FUTěN
Great young streetballer
 
FUTěN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Back up off the FUTěN
Posts: 545
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

It definitely matters, it's just that there's probably only 10-15 RB's at most that consistently make a significant impact in the W column, many of whom were not 1st round picks which rightfully should make teams hesitant to use a 1st round pick. And health concerns make teams balky to spend huge $ on these players. That's the only devaluing that should be going on, a great RB still does a lot for your team.
FUTěN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #439
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 8,103
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I believe he got booted from our team because of his lack of passion for football. His vibe rubbed people the wrong way. He felt entitled.

His actual play on the field last year was.....let's just say I had no complaints, we were an elite offense with him playing an awful lot. Not because of his greatness, but he did his job I thought. I have no reason to defend him now that he's not on my team, but that's a genuine opinion.

Judging him on his #3 draft slot he is a HUGE bust. You're not looking for a guy who just "does his job" with that type of pick.

It does kind of reaffirm my position on RB value. I think the OLine has more to do with great running games than the back does.

Brings me to my next point. I am very intrigued how the Cowboys run game does with those no name guys they have. It's almost a litmus test for my theory. I believe the Cowboys will still have a good running game.

LOL numbers dont matter when theyre not on your side but they do when they are. Whatever fits your argument SMH.

Never said RB dont matter either. Look at the bold.

I would put AP in that rare category where he can make a great run game without consistent blocking. The fact they only dropped half a yard going from the GOAT runner to guys that are pretty random kind of speaks to the point.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 PM   #440
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTěN
It definitely matters, it's just that there's probably only 10-15 RB's at most that consistently make a significant impact in the W column, many of whom were not 1st round picks which rightfully should make teams hesitant to use a 1st round pick. And health concerns make teams balky to spend huge $ on these players. That's the only devaluing that should be going on, a great RB still does a lot for your team.
Did you know that if you made a top-10 all time RB list, the entire list would probably be composed of players that were drafted in the top-10 overall, with the exception of Emmitt Smith who was 20th overall.

While it seems that 'good' RBs can be found in the later rounds...'legendary' RBs are almost always drafted very high.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:20 PM   #441
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
LOL numbers dont matter when theyre not on your side but they do when they are. Whatever fits your argument SMH.

Never said RB dont matter either. Look at the bold.

I would put AP in that rare category where he can make a great run game without consistent blocking. The fact they only dropped half a yard going from the GOAT runner to guys that are pretty random kind of speaks to the point.
I don't think the o-line had more to do with it in Minny...but yeah obviously in general the line does more than the RB...that is 5 players vs 1

I do think that the RB is more important to the running game than any one single lineman
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #442
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 8,103
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

You can compare 2010 Vikings and 2011 Vikings (AP only played 12 games) and the 2010 team had 382 for 1722 at 4.5 YPC and the 2011 team had 366 for 1846 for 5 YPC.

You and I can find numbers that contradict each others stance. Its just my opinion the OLINE and blocking have more to do with having a great run game. Considerably more.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #443
FUTěN
Great young streetballer
 
FUTěN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Back up off the FUTěN
Posts: 545
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Did you know that if you made a top-10 all time RB list, the entire list would probably be composed of players that were drafted in the top-10 overall, with the exception of Emmitt Smith who was 20th overall.

While it seems that 'good' RBs can be found in the later rounds...'legendary' RBs are almost always drafted very high.

That's true enough. I'd be interested to see how often 1st round RB's busted in the past, maybe it's not so much worse now than it has been for all I know.
FUTěN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #444
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUTěN
That's true enough. I'd be interested to see how often 1st round RB's busted in the past, maybe it's not so much worse now than it has been for all I know.
They probably don't bust as often as QBs do.

RB is such an injury prone position though, lots of Ki-Jana Carters out there.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #445
knickballer
NBA All-star
 
knickballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2010 offseason
Posts: 9,259
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

The dominant RB era is closing and I think it can be explained for many reasons. First, teams are having are using multiple running backs in their offense which splits the carriers(gets more fresh runners) and more specific skilled runner. Patriots are a good example, they'll have that one back who is a power runner, another who is the versatile receving back, another who is a shifty back, etc. It creates a more creative and diversified running game instead of having one premier back who may be an elite power back but can struggle outside the sticks or isn't much of a reciever.

Then there's the fact that QB's are becoming more important. It's all about the passing game in todays NFL. You usually don't see great RB's paired with a great QB/passing game and it makes sense(less carries)

Also runningbacks are easier to find and they're success ties alot with the overall offense.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #446
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper
 
Bless Mathews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the underground
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
The dominant RB era is closing and I think it can be explained for many reasons. First, teams are having are using multiple running backs in their offense which splits the carriers(gets more fresh runners) and more specific skilled runner. Patriots are a good example, they'll have that one back who is a power runner, another who is the versatile receving back, another who is a shifty back, etc. It creates a more creative and diversified running game instead of having one premier back who may be an elite power back but can struggle outside the sticks or isn't much of a reciever.

Then there's the fact that QB's are becoming more important. It's all about the passing game in todays NFL. You usually don't see great RB's paired with a great QB/passing game and it makes sense(less carries)

Also runningbacks are easier to find and they're success ties alot with the overall offense.


Word.


And with all the rule changes favoring the qb and receivers and passing game, teams are passing way more and the running game is more and more in the background.
Bless Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #447
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~
 
~primetime~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ~dallas,texas~ team: ~cowboys~
Posts: 15,377
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

That's true for the NFL as a whole but Dallas and Seattle running more than ever...bottom 2 teams in pass attempts

last year Murray had more carries than Emmitt ever did, 392 carries...(7th all time)



there are still teams that dominate on the ground
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #448
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 8,103
Default Re: Trent Richardson traded to Colts for 1st round draft pick..

The Seahawks foundation on offense is the run game. They made the last two superbowls and have won one. Many ways to skin a cat.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy