Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Default Re: Isn't upper body strength almost useless in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by giantgonzolez
    It may have been 15 instead of 50, but anyway, he does multiple reps and that's WITH a 7'10" wingspan. IF he had short arms he WOULD be doing 50 reps. Here are some of his lifts according to some Indian Bodybuilding Federation or something

Dalip is the largest powerlifter ever and his resume includes reps over 600+ bench press, 300+ shoulder press, and curling over 200 lbs with one arm. He is not diagnosed with gigantism etc.
    http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10965
    If he was an actual body builder it'd be a little more credible. Professional wrestlers are notorious for taking steroids.

It may have been 15 instead of 50, but anyway, he does multiple reps and that's WITH a 7'10" wingspan. IF he had short arms he WOULD be doing 50 reps. Here are some of his lifts according to some Indian Bodybuilding Federation or something

Dalip is the largest powerlifter ever and his resume includes reps over 600+ bench press, 300+ shoulder press, and curling over 200 lbs with one arm. He is not diagnosed with gigantism etc.
    http://seatstaysup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10965
    you should note that every time one of those bench records is set, the guys are wearing one of those crazy looking tank tops. those are shirts that are actually *engineered* to increase bench performance. i'm not making this s**t up. if you read articles from a lot of these guys, they'll make reference to different types of bench marks they've set. one of them uses the term "raw"... that term means they did it without a bench shirt. you'd s**t your pants if you found out how big the difference is with those things off.

no, he would not be doing 50 reps with 600 pounds. even with shorter arms. for that matter, i challenge you to find me any footage of *anyone* (steroids, bench shirt, or no) doing a single set of 15 reps at or above 600 pounds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    If he was an actual body builder it'd be a little more credible. Professional wrestlers are notorious for taking steroids.
    Ofcourse he was, this was back when he was a 17 year old 7'3" 387lbs kid in India.

Here is a 21 year old Shredded @ 7'3" 420lbs in CONEST SHAPE @ 1% Bodyfat Dalip Singh.
    He would have OWNED ANYONE in the world at Half Court Black Top Basketball(completely different than NBA No fouls, no 3 seconds, etc) when he was young and Agile and not old and slow like now.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hito da god
    it sounds to me like you have never played basketball before
    what he said

Ofcourse he was, this was back when he was a 17 year old 7'3" 387lbs kid in India.

Here is a 21 year old Shredded @ 7'3" 420lbs in CONEST SHAPE @ 1% Bodyfat Dalip Singh.
    He would have OWNED ANYONE in the world at Half Court Black Top Basketball(completely different than NBA No fouls, no 3 seconds, etc) when he was young and Agile and not old and slow like now.
    1% bodyfat = dead.

your f**king brain's composition is very high in fat, kid. that's not a clever diss. brains *actually include a high % of adipose tissue*.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

I rarely use ignore, but let's try it out

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    1% bodyfat = dead.

your f**king brain's composition is very high in fat, kid. that's not a clever diss. brains *actually include a high % of adipose tissue*.
    NO, you're not dead, because it's only for a VERY short time. Contest Shape means just that, you get into this kind of shape slowly approacing a contest and then go back up in bodyfat percentage after the contest.
    At least he doesn't have to hide a beer belly and manboobs like Shaq does.
    Shaq's basically a taller skinner black version of Peter Griffin.

NO, you're not dead, because it's only for a VERY short time. Contest Shape means just that, you get into this kind of shape slowly approacing a contest and then go back up in bodyfat percentage after the contest.
    you missed the part about me being a trainer, didn't you?

there's no safe way to become so lean that your brain and internal organs are ravaged.

even for 1 second.

most pro bodybuilders--even freaks known for extreme conditioning--never get down to 3.0% bodyfat. at that point, the fat under your skin is virtually nonexistent, and just about the only fat left in your body is internal organs.

check out the career of Ronnie Coleman, and the ridiculous quest for "striated glutes" that he caused in other pro bodybuilders. even dexter "the blade" jackson, shawn ray, etc--guys KNOWN for their conditioning--have a hard time getting so lean that you can see striations in their glutes. here's a hint... at 3.0%, your glutes would look like someone carved them with a broad-toothed comb.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

dumb fu cks 1 percent body fat lol. u need over 1 percent for the brain to even function. besides if u he's not even 4 percent at that picture other wise he'd be waaay more shredded. Don't pretend you know bodybuilding knowledge when you don't

lol at 420 lbs contest shape are u implying that he has like 420 lbs of pure muscle? if ur stating he has 1 percent bodyfat

Decent playground baller krazy19's Avatar

Future D1 Dad

helps down in the post pushing for postion.

I mean David Robinson could probably curl and bench more than any of the top 10 centers in NBA History(have you seen how big his arms were in that Spalding commerical with NBA greats shooting freethrows?), but it's not really that useful in the NBA.
    I think it's actually better to have a funny looking pear shaped bottom heavy body like Shaq for basketball.
    sir, please stop.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by Biddy77
    LOL at the guy in that thread saying karl was at 2.9% bodyfat.

ridiculous.

here's the reason why those claims are so laughable...

a lot of your internal organs are partially composed of adipose tissue. yeah. fat.

karl malone supposedly peaked at 275 pounds or so. that's huge. he's also 6'9". you know how much a 6'9" guy has inside him? that's a lot of guts.

that particular one is also laughable, because i've seen karl malone in the gym before--from about 5 feet away. my dad and i ran into him years ago when the jazz were in town to play against the blazers. he was sneaking in a weight session at the weight room in the Marriott where my dad did his lifting on lunch breaks. i had gone down there to work out with my dad, and wow... talk about a surprise.

malone is f**king huge. very small waist for his overall size. crazy how fit he is. 2.9% bodyfat, though? LOL, f**k, no.

michael phelps swims six hours a day. granted, he eats a truckload of food, but even he is only around 6%. that's about where malone was at his leanest during his playing career. at that level, your abs pop even when you aren't flexing, and you see striations/"cords of muscle" in shoulders, triceps, etc--even when you stand relaxed.

I read in Playing for Keeps that Michael Jordan was at 4% body fat after he trained for the upcoming 1995-1996 season. In your opinion, is that true?

If this is true, Aaron Brooks has 2.7% body fat, the lowest ever tested in the NBA.

http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?title=Aaron_Brooks

Doesn't this guy have carpets to clean, or my burritos to make?