Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Imagine if the Nba always had a "Top 16"...

We would have never got to see this classic performance
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3-to7R2e44

In 1986, the Bulls snuck into the Playoffs with a a whopping 30 wins

I think a total of 18 teams had a better record.

Now I ask, if you had to make a decision either Top 16, or keep it the way it is now, would you?

It's not the NBA playoff format that's broken, it's just the league ain't as star driven as it once was. Now I would love to see KD and Goatbrook, as well as AD in the playoffs, but why should the rules change just cause they currently are looking out?

Default Re: Imagine if the Nba always had a "Top 16"...

...And just imagine all the upsets and quality basketball you're missing out on when the TOP teams don't actually get in.

And can you think about how many good series and performances didn't happen because of this system?

And this ain't about KD, Westbrook or Brow, this is a long time problem since the West is much stronger and usually has 10 .500 teams while in the East you got 2 teams sub .500 going to the playoffs.

Top 16 is a great idea.

East teams get it easy enough padding their W/L against each other...why should they also be allowed to get into the Playoffs with 38 wins.

The only counter-arguments are bullshit. Who the **** cares about rivalries? The don't exist anymore, and the ones that do are on basketball terms, not historical or geographical ones.

I'm not from America so this argument intrigues me (although I'm not sure how true it is):

Casual fans from the East coast wouldn't get home early enough or stay up late enough to watch a W/W Finals (forget which one). And vice versa for the West.

Does this argument have any stock, or was I just reading BS?

So ya'll support when Eastern conference players Collude and basically weaken the already weak conference, reducing it to what it is now?

And don't say this isn't about the Thunder or Anthony Davis, cause this is exactly what it's about. This is where the gripes started coming from.

Thunder are my team(Now that the Lakers are rebuilding) but if they can't pull it together with the remaining games they have left, that's too damn bad, better luck next year. This is the way it's always been, and will most likely always be.

Quote Originally Posted by theoneneo
    So ya'll support when Eastern conference players Collude and basically weaken the already weak conference, reducing it to what it is now?

And don't say this isn't about the Thunder or Anthony Davis, cause this is exactly what it's about. This is where the gripes started coming from.

Thunder are my team(Now that the Lakers are rebuilding) but if they can't pull it together with the remaining games they have left, that's too damn bad, better luck next year. This is the way it's always been, and will most likely always be.
    Were you watching last year? People, myself included, were up in arms about the Suns missing the Playoffs.

Star power is overrated. People are starting to see it.

We want good basketball. The Horford-less Hawks last year had no business being in the postseason. The Suns, who would've been a top 5 seed out East (arguably higher given they'd have a joke of a schedule), had lots of business being there.

Again, this isn't about Durant or Davis. It's about seeing the best teams compete. The fact that this year's Heat or Nets might compete in Playoff ball is disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Top 16 is a great idea.

East teams get it easy enough padding their W/L against each other...why should they also be allowed to get into the Playoffs with 38 wins.

The only counter-arguments are bullshit. Who the **** cares about rivalries? The don't exist anymore, and the ones that do are on basketball terms, not historical or geographical ones.

I'm not from America so this argument intrigues me (although I'm not sure how true it is):

Casual fans from the East coast wouldn't get home early enough or stay up late enough to watch a W/W Finals (forget which one). And vice versa for the West.

Does this argument have any stock, or was I just reading BS?
    The only counter arguments are from "fans" of teams that are doodoo and not in the playoff hunt. I understand WHY they would be opposed to this BUT I'm a basketball fan first, team homer second. The games inegrity and quality would be so much better under this new format. It would probably get teams to quit tanking as well (always a plus).

BTW, The East Coast (New York) is 3 hours ahead of the West (California).

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Were you watching last year? People, myself included, were up in arms about the Suns missing the Playoffs.

Star power is overrated. People are starting to see it.

We want good basketball. The Horford-less Hawks last year had no business being in the postseason. The Suns, who would've been a top 5 seed out East (arguably higher given they'd have a joke of a schedule), had lots of business being there.

Again, this isn't about Durant or Davis. It's about seeing the best teams compete. The fact that this year's Heat or Nets might compete in Playoff ball is disgusting.
    I understand, but the west has been tough literally for the last 10 years or so. That's just what it is. But you can't penalize teams because of that.

Eventually the east will bounce back once it's young stars start developing.

If you want a tournament style post season then watch College Basketball.

The playoff format is fine the way it is. If teams make the playoffs in their conference with 30-35 wins, good for them. The other teams that misses out from the other conference with 40-45 wins, sad that you are in a tough conference. But those are the breaks. It is a cycle.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Everyone's making a big fuss over teams that will just lose in the first round anyway. The 1, 2 or 3 seed of the conference will advance to the finals like 99% of the time anyway.
    Last edited by Sarcastic; 02-07-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    ...And just imagine all the upsets and quality basketball you're missing out on when the TOP teams don't actually get in.
    This.

Learning to shoot layups

I saw an idea someone had a few months ago that I kinda like. Top 6 teams from each conference, then take the next four teams with the best record, doesn't matter their conference

Quote Originally Posted by Spokelahoma
    I saw an idea someone had a few months ago that I kinda like. Top 6 teams from each conference, then take the next four teams with the best record, doesn't matter their conference
    This is the best idea. And if they can implement it with Wild cards it'll make it that much better.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Everyone's making a big fuss over teams that will just lose in the first round anyway. The 1, 2 or 3 seed of the conference will advance to the finals like 99% of the time anyway.
    Exactly. People are acting like the world was deprived because we did not get to see a few more games of the Suns last year.

All this is overreaction. The West is slightly deeper with 10 solid teams but the East has 6 solid teams now. There will be a disparity in the first round but when we are down to the final 8 teams in the second round there will be comparable strength among the teams. The top teams in the East are comparable to the top teams in the West. People are overreacting last season when key injuries to the Bulls, Nets and Hawks decimated the ranks of East contenders, leaving only the Heat and Pacers. The East was solid in the early 2010's and the final years of the 2000's.

One small change that could reduce the short-term imbalance between the conferences is putting Memphis in the East where it should be. Other than that, stay the course. Preserve the rivalries. The AFC lost the Super Bowl for 15 consecutive years and the NFL survived.
    Last edited by Roundball_Rock; 02-08-2015 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Exactly. People are acting like the world was deprived because we did not get to see a few more games of the Suns last year.

All this is overreaction. The West is slightly deeper with 10 solid teams but the East has 6 solid teams now. There will be a disparity in the first round but when we are down to the final 8 teams in the second round there will be comparable strength among the teams. The top teams in the East are comparable to the top teams in the West. People are overreacting last season when key injuries to the Bulls, Nets and Hawks decimated the ranks of East contenders, leaving only the Heat and Pacers. The East was solid in the early 2010's and the final years of the 2000's.

One small change that could reduce the short-term imbalance between the conferences is putting Memphis in the East where it should be.
    Smh

The playoffs must be incredibly boring to you guys then when its the top 2-3 seeds anyway.

Shit like this makes my blood boil. You have a ****ing Warzone in the West, 8 something elite teams opposed to 3 in the East (last year the East was a Barbie beachhouse), and you guys act like it doesn't matter... ugh