I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease PMshooter's Avatar

Default Your Fantasy Scoring System?

I commish a small league every year and it's turned out to be pretty guard and defense orientated. I'm trying to balance out scoring a little more, and I was wondering what other folks have set up for their scoring system.

My previous scoring was:

point = 1
    assist = 2
    d reb = 1
    o reb = 1.5
    steal = 2.5
    block = 2.5
    m fg = -.5
    m ft = -1
    to = -1

Upcoming scoring:

point = 1
    assist = 2
    d reb = 1.5
    o reb = 2
    steal = 2
    block = 2
    m fg = -.5
    m ft = -1
    to = -1

The changes will hopefully rewarding scoring and rebounding a little more. I'm hoping this balances stuff a little better. What's your scoring system?

Decent college freshman tian820's Avatar

Default Re: Your Fantasy Scoring System?

I always went category based for fantasy basketball. I did one point league last season and we used bonuses for some stuff like double-doubles and triple-doubles. Can't remember what all the scoring was completely though, but it seems like you could just use total rebounds as 2 pts and I would also keep steals/blocks higher than assists/rebounds. You get quite a bit fewer of those from players in comparison and they should be emphasized

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

I personally can't stand pts based scoring. Roto or H2H reward all players pretty equally. I would run with a Roto league if you are using pts based. H2H is entirely different.

Quote Originally Posted by tian820
    I would also keep steals/blocks higher than assists/rebounds. You get quite a bit fewer of those from players in comparison and they should be emphasized
    That's a good point. I might bump those back up to 2.5 . . . but then it's like, is a steal really worth more than a bucket? I looked up the frequency of blocks and steals last year. Blocks happen much less often - but they don't necessarily lead to possession, so I kept them at the same score.

Quote Originally Posted by PMshooter
    That's a good point. I might bump those back up to 2.5 . . . but then it's like, is a steal really worth more than a bucket? I looked up the frequency of blocks and steals last year. Blocks happen much less often - but they don't necessarily lead to possession, so I kept them at the same score.
    I don't look at it from a standpoint that it effects the game itself, more from a pure statistical point of view. I don't think stats matter at all really in basketball as a sport. I just see it simply that steals and blocks are tougher categories to come by than points and rebounds. Therefore they should be scored in such a way. I do agree (with RapsFan) that a point system isn't the most ideal method for scoring in fantasy basketball

Quote Originally Posted by tian820
    I don't look at it from a standpoint that it effects the game itself, more from a pure statistical point of view.I don't think stats matter at all really in basketball as a sport. I just see it simply that steals and blocks are tougher categories to come by than points and rebounds. Therefore they should be scored in such a way.
    Yeah, I'm of the other school. I think stats can represent the players actual impact in a game - to an extent. You can't measure things like the confidence you give your teammates, or the fear you strike in your opponents.

Stats don't matter in any sport. Results do. There we can agree. But since we can't watch every game, and recaps are pretty incomplete, stats are the only unbiased way to absorb most of what happened in a game.

In the long run, the game is about putting the ball in the hoop and even though that happens the most often it's definitely the most important component of the game. That's why Kobe Bryant is wealthy, and Bruce Bowen is rich. And why I think you need to weight these things on a slightly more subjective scale - given that the entire league agrees with your reasoning.

I do agree (with RapsFan) that a point system isn't the most ideal method for scoring in fantasy basketball
    So, how do these other scoring systems work? If you're not looking at the stats of the players? I'm kind of confused on that. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PMshooter
    So, how do these other scoring systems work? If you're not looking at the stats of the players? I'm kind of confused on that. Thanks!
    Just use a standard (or add/subtract a few) 9 category system (points, rebounds, FG%, FT%, 3PTM, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers). Seems to work the best for H2H scoring. I'm not as experienced with roto, but websites have pretty standard point systems for roto as well (don't know them off the top of my head though)

Thanks Titan. I looked up a few examples of roto and H2H scoring. I definitely like my scoring system best (though I may be a little biased ).

standard H2H scoring seems to do nothing to take into account the fact that a point guard handles the ball all game and will have more TOs than a PF or Center, or any other position for that matter. And it doesn't seem to take into account the efficiency of a player either. Or if you're a good player on a bad team.

Roto is just weird to me! Though I guess it's the original scoring system before fantasy sports was what it is today.

I usually hit open layups Big Money Mike's Avatar

I play on CBSsportsline

point = 1 point
    rebound = 1 point
    steal = 1 point
    block = 1 point
    assist = 2 points
    turnover = -1 point

thats it.

head to head, your week's average versus the other dude's.

Fantasy Forum Mod haterofhaters's Avatar

Yeah, I've always done points system and with Yahoo Fantasy. I think I tried head to head before in my first fantasy year (on NBA.com) and I just never really took the time to understand it.