Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default When was Michael Jordan in his prime?

Some say it was from 1987-1990. Some say it was from 1991-1993. Some even say he never had a prime. Is it possible that Michael Jordan never had a prime?

National High School Star

Default Re: When was Michael Jordan in his prime?

anywhere from 87-93. IMO it was 91-92

Serious playground baller

physical prime was 1988

overall prime was probably 1992

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

In his prime? Definitely during the first three championships. But he was still without question the best player in the league when he came back in 1995.

I think he got better as he aged. He wasn't able to do the same things in 96-98 but his basketball decision making was at it's best. His last 3 seasons with the Bulls were my favorite to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I think he got better as he aged. He wasn't able to do the same things in 96-98 but his basketball decision making was at it's best. His last 3 seasons with the Bulls were my favorite to watch.

His athletic peak was long over at that point, but his ball IQ was off the charts. Larry Bird and possibly Magic Johnson were the only ones that came even close in terms of IQ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    His athletic peak was long over at that point, but his ball IQ was off the charts. Larry Bird and possibly Magic Johnson were the only ones that came even close in terms of IQ.
    you basketball was actually being played before the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Younggrease
    you basketball was actually being played before the 80's.

Care to name any others that can match those 3 in terms of IQ?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BULLZ
    physical prime was 1988

overall prime was probably 1992
    I would agree.

I may even put his physical prime a year earlier... '87.

Banned

His prime was from '89-'93. Physical prime from '88-'91 imo.

If I had to narrow it down further, his absolute peak all things considered was from '90-'92. Just watch some of his playoff games from then and you'll see.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by White Chocolate
    Care to name any others that can match those 3 in terms of IQ?
    Bill Russell, Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    Bill Russell, Bill Walton

They may have been great, but I don't think of those 2 guys when I think of highest ball IQ.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

From the 87-88 season till 92-93. If I had to narrow it down I'd say the first 3-peat. Athletically he peaked in 88-89 - I'm watching a game from that season right now against the Hornets(LOKI should know this game - him having uploaded a few plays from it on YT) and just watching him move is a sight in itself. Best athlete to ever play the game.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

88-92 and if I needed to pick just one year...id say either 1990 or 1992. He was always a near unstoppable scorer but his man to man D fell off a bit after then and before then his defense was more statistically great than really great. Jordan did not play his best defense as the DPOY. He just played the most obvious and highlight reel worthy defense.

As a total player I think he peaked when he stropped caring what it looked like he was doing and just willed the team to win by any means. None of that pointless gambling for steals or athletic ability based gimmick defense to get blocks. No going to the scorers table to check if they had his points and assists right since he wanted to prove he coulkd get triple doubles so bad hed make unneeded passes and demand players shoot outside their comfort zones to get the assist.

Jordan peaked when he didnt give a damn anymore and just went to work. He just happened to be so crazy talented and skilled that he could be better than everyone else while not playing the most fundamental ball.

In 87 to 89 or so he was the best in the league(or least least not behind anyone) but by 92 he was just better than everyone by such a margin it was laughable.

And now in direct contradiction of what I just said I must add....Hakeem, Robinson, and Barkley might have been close in 92. But close in the way Duncan and Garnett were close to Shaq in 2000-2002. That "Its close...but it isnt close" way.

I agree with the general consensus. Jordan's peak was about 91-92 as an overall player.

They may have been great, but I don't think of those 2 guys when I think of highest ball IQ.
    At least not on the offensive end of the floor. Bill Russell was definitely the master of the defensive end, however. Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, and Michael Jordan were certainly masters of the offensive end.