Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: to everyone shaking their head about lebron and company taking paycuts -

Quote Originally Posted by 3LiftHeatCurse
    If you think about it, winning on the basketball court increases their off-court salaries tremendously. Sponsorships go up, commercials, better deals..... so taking a paycut on your basketball salary can actually increase your non-basketball salaries.

If you took your max basketball salary, but now you have 0 championships, you won't be as famous or get anywhere near as many sponsorships.
    By that logic, Robert Horry should still be getting paid on his many endorsement deals for winning seven rings. But your logic is usually pretty awful, so no surprises here.

Default Re: to everyone shaking their head about lebron and company taking paycuts -

The way I see it, if we're just gonna have stars colluding to bolster their championship numbers instead of competing against each other...what's the point of a salary cap at all? All it really does is screw the guys who aren't superstars out of money they could be making in winning towns.

The ESPN article that made mention of Miami's Big 3 scaling their pay to give Riley a full mid-level and a biannual, to me, made the most sense. You can get something good for that and improve in a couple of key places. If the Big 3 take insane paycuts just to lure superstar help that also decides to take an insane paycut, that's horseshit.

If they are rejecting easy millions to have a better chance to win then credit to them.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derka
    By that logic, Robert Horry should still be getting paid on his many endorsement deals for winning seven rings. But your logic is usually pretty awful, so no surprises here.
    There's a difference between a role player like Horry and all stars like Wade/Bosh. Don't act like you don't know the difference

But I thought Lebron was seeking a max contract and NOT taking a paycut?

NBA All-star

is it legal for a team to contact sporting companies regarding to marketing deals with their potential employees?

you know, big market team.

"tell LeBiatch to JUST DO IT, or I'm BUYING ADIDAS from now on"

"hello? hello?"

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Somehow for 60 years before 2010 the best players in the league managed to win titles without taking paycuts but now it's the only way. Smh at the number of excuses made for the big 3. Face it none of these guys believe they are championship material without having the most stacked team
    Spurs players took payouts to stick together.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    There's a difference between a role player like Horry and all stars like Wade/Bosh. Don't act like you don't know the difference
    The post I was replying to doesn't acknowledge a difference, ergo neither will I.