Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:17 AM   #166
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Blue Jays Season 2014

Quote:
ESPN The Magazine & ESPN.com unleashed our experts & an army of researchers to rate 122 teams on the strength of each franchise's analytics staff, its buy-in from execs & coaches, its investment in biometric data & how much its approach is predicated on analytics.

After looking at the stats, reaching out to every team & dozens of informed sources & evaluating each front office, we ranked an overall top 10 & bottom 10. Each team was placed in one of 5 tiers.

In a Moneyball world, a number of teams remain slow to buy into sabermetrics.

1) BOS
5) NYY
6) OAK
9) TB
10) BAL

17) TOR
In the epilogue to "Moneyball," Toronto was anointed as the direct descendants of Billy Beane's A's, having hired J.P. Ricciardi & Keith Law, an alum of both Harvard & Baseball Prospectus, as a special adviser.

4 years later, Ricciardi was the keynote speaker at the inaugural MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

But Ricciardi -- who is revered for his scouting acumen -- never embraced sabermetrics to the extent that Beane did. He & Law had a falling out around the time of Law's departure in 2006, & Ricciardi was fired in 2009.

These days the team's analytical operation is run by Joe Sheehan, who also has experience in the Pittsburgh Pirates organization.

Last year, Toronto lost assistant GM Jay Sartori -- who had overseen Sheehan's development of the Jays' baseball information system -- to Apple, but solidified their development team by plucking Jason Pare from the Indians.

The Sheehan-Pare pair make a formidable combo & Alex Anthopoulos has indicated interest in expanding even further. However, the promise of a mid-market, Canadian version of the "Moneyball" A's has never been fully realized.

LINK

Old 02-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #167
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Blue Jays looking at OF Dayan Viciedo to replace Saunders in the meantime. Apparently Saunders will only be out 4-5 weeks after surgery, much sooner then expected. Viciedo is a power bat with poor plate discipline and fielding skills. He will likely platoon in the OF when Saunders returns, if the Jays sign him that is.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #168
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
OF Dayan Viciedo .... power bat with poor plate discipline & fielding skills. ...

interesting add. there's obvious potential there.

Quote:

Uni Watch Power Rankings

1) STL
2) PHI
3) CHC

4) TOR

Yeesh, remember this old look?

It's now clear that the Jays' 2012 makeover was the best MLB redesign in recent memory.

This set is beginning to feel like a modern classic -- here's hoping they stay with it for a long, long time.

ESPN
Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #169
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
No I'm saying I doubt any of our pitchers win > 16 games this season.

No disagreement

I would correctly say you are right on but 5 guys in the 12-15 range can translate to 87 wins with the aforementioned no decisions etc etc etc.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #170
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbiT

this team's margin of error is so thin. this is going to hurt the everyday lineup.

snip 87 wins end snip

that's obviously being optimistic. 81-81 is more likely imo

I don't strongly disagree or agree with you.

81 is possible and frankly so is 75 depending on how the injury bug rolls around the team.

Having said that...

Baltimore was 96 - 66 and I will suggest the under

Yankees finished 84 - 78 and very much under

Blue Jays were 83 - 79 last season... I am reasonably sure that the overall talent is 4 + games better

Tampa was 77 - 85 ~ bet the under

BoSox finshed 71 - 91 ~ I think I would bet up to 82 games but their magin is also razor thin.

The Jays should face each of the above about 10 times (but not the Yankees??) and a 4 game favorable swing in division against Tampa / Baltimore / Boston is a reasonable expectation out of this team.

They also get a fair number of games verse Miami, NYMets, Twins, and Indians with only a handful vs Tigers / Rangers. I am not following improvements in the Marlins, Mets, Twins, Indians but I suspect a 4 game favorable swing is possible in out of division play.

Between the 2 ~ 88 games seems right to me. But as agreed upon frankly it is marginally thin as that is based on few injuries and "pitcher adjustments"... the young guys will have to pitch through and not get smoked by season end as big league hitters learn to read them and target their stuff.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #171
BRabbiT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I don't strongly disagree or agree with you....

yeah, I could see them winning 88. all has to go right.

can't wait to find out.

Quote:

March 2, 2015 - July 2nd Spending Plans Are Coming Into Focus

With BOS recently adding Yoan Moncada to the fold last week (details & audio interview), the biggest international domino has fallen & now there’s more certainty for teams and agents going forward about what teams can spend on July 2nd.....

Vladimir Guerrero, Jr., RF, Dominican

I’ve written about Guerrero a good bit in the past & not just because of his name; he’s arguably the top prospect in this year’s class.

I say arguably because, at this age, it’s almost impossible to get a unanimous opinion from scouts on anyone & it should probably always be that way, given the uncertainty.

The first thing fans ask me about Guerrero is if he had his dad’s arm & right now, he doesn’t. It ranges from fringy to solid average by the day, but he’s still going to add a good bit of weight & it’ll likely improve, so I’ll project him in RF.

Guerrero ran a 7.25 in the 60 at this showcase, which is 40-45 speed on the 20-80 scale, & he showed above average to plus bat speed & power, which likely end up at the top end of that range at maturity.

He didn’t perform very well in the two games I saw, but I’m told he’s looked much better in terms of game hitting performance in the past. Guerrero’s draw is big bat speed, big power & physical projection, along with the bat control & feel to hit to tap into those skills in games.

I reported earlier that Guerrero has a deal with TOR for $3.2 million, but I’m now told the number actually starts with a 4, with most sources saying it’s $4.4 million or $4.5 million.

TOR can trade for up to $3.486 million in their bonus pool, so if this deal goes down as expected, this would push them into the penalty range.
FANGRAPHS
Old 03-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #172
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:

snip predict 88

81 is possible and frankly so is 75 depending on how the injury bug rolls around the team.

So Stroll is gone for the entire season. A pitcher practicing "fielding bunts"...

Really ??

Who the h - e - double hockey sticks made that call.

That ultra thin margin would seem to be blown up.

It would also appear I "may have" underestimated the Yankee's Bullpen ; but I am still not sure the Yankee's will be strong with all the Arod distraction and noise... and frankly New York noise around this team.

Revised prediction : 81 wins
Old 03-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #173
BRabbiT

Quote:
So Stroll is gone for the entire season. A pitcher practicing "fielding bunts"...

tough, tough loss
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread