Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Give me:

Coach: Rick Adelman

Mo Williams/Kirk Hinrich
    Michael Redd/Mike James
    Bruce Bowen/Kings Peja
    Hedo Turkoglu (run with the Magic)/Anderson Varejao
    Prime Hakeem/Mark Eaton

Basic guidelines for me were:
    - Go for comparative advantage and compensate for your flaws.
    - Think of the frontcourt first. Don't worry too much about point guards when someone else can create shots, and choose shooting guards for their ability to shoot.
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 04-06-2013 at 08:56 AM.

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    not nearly enough scoring. Worthy is a 2nd option, Stockton is the prototypical pass-first PG, and Dale Ellis can't consitently create his own shot. Defense would be suspect as well IMO.
    I actually made the team with Worthy as the 1st option in mind, but I forgot how underrated his scoring ability is. Oh well...

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I'm surprised someone built around Russell. I figured that with the steeper penalty for choosing a player from tier 1, Russell would be one of the players without any takers.

George is a player I'm considering from the fourth tier. I chose Terry and Ibaka in the 2011 game, and Cooper's on my draft list for Russell as the 7th man/defensive stopper for all the high-scoring wings if he's available.

I have a player in mind for post scoring, but I don't know if he'll be considered good enough with all the competition. I'm taking Thibodeau for the simple fact that as assistant coach with Boston with Garnett, the Celtics were one of the greatest defensive teams of all time. So I would want to see what a Russell-anchored defense coached by Thibodeau would look like, with the two of them working together.

I'm also concerned about not having an all-time scoring option, as it was felt last time that my Russell-centered team didn't have enough scorers to score in such an environment against some of the teams, though it garnered Honorable Mention. In these type of things if seems that one is at a disadvantage without a historic-level scorer, as most people are going to stack their teams with as many as the rules allow. But that makes it more challenging, and also more interesting to try.
    It is really hard for me to not pick Kareem over Russell. I consider Kareem to be the greatest C ever (Kareem -- WiltShaqRussell -- Hakeem are top 5). So why pick Russell? I love defense, and most people ignore it, so I wanted to see what would happen. Hard to fill holes, though. And while I don't think my team is obviously better than all the others, I do think that my team would have a healthy shot of winning a 7 game series against any team listed.

And like I mentioned with my coach... really, really hard to not put Thibs as the coach.. but I guess I"m relying on Russell being the "coach" on D, and needed that extra bit of offensive firepower that Adelman would provide.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BoutPractice
    Give me:

Coach: Rick Adelman

Mo Williams/Kirk Hinrich
    Michael Redd/Mike James
    Bruce Bowen/Kings Peja
    Hedo Turkoglu (run with the Magic)/Anderson Varejao
    Prime Hakeem/Mark Eaton

Basic guidelines for me were:
    - Go for comparative advantage and compensate for your flaws.
    - Think of the frontcourt first. Don't worry too much about point guards when someone else can create shots, and choose shooting guards for their ability to shoot.
    Sound theory, I just disagree with a lot of your choices. Mo Williams is streaky, as is Mike James. Hedo was pretty solid in Orlando, but without looking at the tier/player lists, I am sure you could find a better option.
    I do like that you have strong defensive players, as Bowen can guard wings, Hinrich points, and Varejao and the Cs can obviously guard big men.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    My only real issue with the team is lack of consistent 3p offense. Love and Okur are your 2nd and 3rd best options, behind Curry. Pippen, even though being Bulls all-time leader in 3s made, is streaky. Andre Miller and Ramon Sessions have no 3p shot. I think that trading Brandon Roy for Steph Curry, Allan Houston, Eddie Jones, or someone similarly adept at 3p shooting would improve your team, especially since Roy is not being relied upon to be the primary creator (Pip) or a wing defender.
    I don't believe in 3p offense. Good shooters are what's important for spacing. Besides, Broy was a pretty good 3p shooter. If I have to replace him I'd go with Paul George.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    I actually made the team with Worthy as the 1st option in mind, but I forgot how underrated his scoring ability is. Oh well...
    Worthy was a great player, didn't win an finals MVP for nothing. However, you must admit that he is not a good choice as the player whose shoulders you're putting the scoring load on every night. He's not proven to be that player. I might think differently about it if his supporting cast had more proven scorers, but Dale Ellis and John Stockton are not going to cut it.

Any takes on my team?

Coach: George Karl (4)
    C: Mutombo (3), Noah (4), Bradley (7)
    PF: Horace Grant (5), Horry (5)
    SF: Pippen (2), Prince (6), Kapono (7)
    SG: Curry (4), Cooper (6)
    PG: Payton (2), Terry (5)

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Worthy was a great player, didn't win an finals MVP for nothing. However, you must admit that he is not a good choice as the player whose shoulders you're putting the scoring load on every night. He's not proven to be that player.
    He wasn't really given a chance tho. By the time Magic retired his legs have given up. Worthy is a specific case, more I watch his games more I'm stunned by what I see. He was just as explosive as Bernard King and had an equally quick release. And in the post he was Hakeem of the forwards.
    Anyways, I do not wish to derail this thread any further, thanks for your opinions

kshutts1 > I suppose Mo Williams could be replaced by say Raymond Felton or even Jason Terry and Mike James by a Mo Peterson. Neither of them are the most crucial pieces.

Turkoglu's a risky choice, but I think it works out well with Hakeem. Certainly worked out well with Howard, he was one of the main reasons Orlando reached the Finals in 2009.
    He's actually a difficult player to replace, in that he can work as a stretch 4 ala Horry but also play a quasi point guard role, allowing me to put in a scoring backcourt. Not many players in the history of the league fit that description.

Note that if you're worried about Turkoglu's defense on 4s, it's also possible to go with a mismatch lineup with Turkoglu at the 3, Hakeem at the 4 and Eaton at the 5, for instance.

Learning to shoot layups Mboglee's Avatar

Group 2

2 from 2
    Yao ming
    durant

1 from 3
    Rodman

3 from 4
    Tom thibodeau
    Igoudala
    Brandon Roy

3 from 5
    Micheal Redd
    Barbosa
    Okur

2 from 6
    Jose Calderon
    Mcgee

2 from 7
    Steve novak
    Anthony parker

Coach:Tom hibodeau

Depth Chart
    Yao Ming/Mcgee
    Rodman/Okur
    Durant/Iggy/novak
    Brandon Roy/Micheal Redd/Anthony parker
    Jose Calderon/Barbosa

Mcgee simply for the highlights
    Defense for the 2nd unit could be better but meh, whatever
    pretty fun thread, got me out of lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Tell you what...if we looked at this as a keeperl eague...where they got to grow and gel...that team wins 2-3 rings even with this insane competition. Kyrie/KD/peak 29ppg Ewing with a 6'8'' do it all all star George who is like....24? Noah the "Insult the other teams fanbase and shut down pick and rolls" guy....Kirk off the bench throwing a blanket on guards....OJ and JR the best combo of off the bench scorers you could get....Jefferson in Nets form who would be an insane 9th man....with 2 shot blockers in low enough minutes to not worry about foul trouble....so they are all out on EVERY attempt in the lane? And Novak to help space the floor now and then with Durant on the other wing?

Only weakness is Kyrie possibly getting lit up vs some of these backcourts and finding the balance between Ewing and Durant when Ewing is in "Give me the ball" mode and KD defers too much. Let Ewing settle into 22-25 a game mode...KD takes over in the 4th...with Kyrie more likely to not get in his way than Westbrook with Ewing always an option and Kyrie if the play breaks down?

That team could compete with any team ever in a 7 game series.

Not my sure winner so far for a one year thing...but let Kyrie/George peak with a still prime KD and Ewing in like 92-93 form?

[Reference you dont get]Oh my god...DANGER![/You were born in the 90s]
    Thanks for the props.

I like my idea of going with Ewing and KD. I don't think either would get in the way of the other - in fact I think the inside out combo they would provide would be deadly.

The youth with the guards makes the teams potential really have no limits. Kyrie and Paul George are already All Star players, having them as option 3a and 3b is a luxury to say the least. I also think both players have a winning attitude and would put team first, especially realizing the potential this squad would have.

The size of my team alone would be tough for anyone to handle, pair that with the defensive mind of Thibs and it gets really dangerous. There is some great depth off the bench, but I also see that being the only area where egos would get in the way. OJ Mayo - JR Smith pair off the bench could get interesting.

If I were to make one change to the team, I'd likely swap OJ Mayo for Nate McMillian. I feel as the team has plenty of offense, and a guy like McMillian would help the ball move on offense, and be able to provide defense off the bench.

Learning to shoot layups AndOn3's Avatar

Give me....

Coach: Stan Van Gundy (4)

PG: Stephen Curry (4) / Jason Terry (5)
    SG: Michael Cooper (6) / J.R. Smith (5) / Bruce Bowen (6)
    SF: Ron Artest / Shane Battier (6) / Steve Novak (7)
    PF: Larry Nance (4) / Horace Grant (5) / Earl Clark (7)
    C: Wilt (1) / Mark Eaton (5)

Offense:
    In essence, this is what SVG had in Orlando, except this time with a center 5000000x better than Dwight, and more versatile scoring threats in Artest and Curry. Curry, IMO the greatest shooter we've ever had in this league, will light it up from the perimeter as Wilt diving hard on PnR's creates open scoring opportunities. Larry Nance and Artest were both 20ppg scorers in their primes, and provide other threats so that a defense cannot successfully double the most dominant player ever to play the game. Horace Grant, an integral title piece on the Bulls 1st three-peat, makes an appearance along with the Jet and JR to run pick and rolls and create havoc off the bench. Novak and Clark are reliable backups that will rain it in from outside and provide some energy and spark off the pine.

Defense:
    Defensively, you have two DPOY's in the starting lineup and a third probable one in Wilt. In addition, coming off the bench, you have the single-season blocked shots record holder in Mark Eaton, the defensive-savvy and game changing Shane Battier and Bruce Bowen to hold leads until the starters come back in. Defensively, outside of Wilt and Eaton, the team can virtually switch everything and with their length and athleticism, wreak havoc on opposing offenses. Wilt and Nance mask Curry's defensive deficiencies and allow him to leak out on the break for transition opportunities.
    Last edited by AndOn3; 04-07-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Saw a basketball once

I'm going with Group 2.

Coach: Tom Thibodeau (4)

Starters:
    PG: Gary Payton (2)
    SG: James Harden (Now) (3)
    SF: Scottie Pippen (2)
    PF: Serge Ibaka (6)
    C: Marc Gasol (4)

Bench:
    SG/SF: Paul George (4)
    PG/SG: Jason Terry (Mavs) (5)
    C: Mehmet Okur (Prime Jazz) (5)
    PF: Horace Grant (5)
    SG: Arron Afflalo (6)
    PF/C: Larry Sanders (7)
    SF/PF: Steve Novak (7)

On offense, any of Gary Payton, James Harden, Scottie Pippen, or Marc Gasol can run the show; with any of Payton/Harden/Pippen running pick and rolls/pick and pops with Ibaka or Gasol, Marc or Scottie running the offense through the high post, or post-ups for Gary, Scottie, or Marc - where they pass it to open cutters, or find the open man out of the double-team.

Off the bench are Jason Terry, Arron Afflalo, and Paul George, all of whom shoot the three well, and are able to create their own shots, Horace Grant, who can hit the mid-range jumper and crashes the offensive glass well, Mehmet Okur, a center with excellent three-point shooting ability, Larry Sanders, a very active PF/C, and Steve Novak, who is only out there to shoot 3's and little else.

Defensively, with Gary Payton and Scottie Pippen manning the perimeter, Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol defending the interior, and with Thibs at the helm; this team will be quite hard to score on. Even Harden will improve on defense with Coach Thibodeau's scheme and coaching; but if he's having trouble with his assignment, Paul George and/or Arron Afflalo can come in to lock it down. When Payton's out, Jason Terry has to defend the PGs. On the interior, Ibaka and Gasol are very good defenders - man, help, and pick and roll - , and are supplemented with Horace Grant, Larry Sanders, and Mehmet Okur.
    Last edited by J.Pullicin; 04-07-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Good High School Starter jcsrplumply's Avatar

(2) Payton
    (2) Paul Pierce
    (3) Dennis Rodman
    (4) Tom Thibodeau
    (4) Paul George
    (4) Joakim Noah
    (5) Robert Horry
    (5) Mark Eaton
    (5) J.R. Smith
    (6) Tayshaun Prince
    (6) Michael Cooper (can't pass this guy up :p)
    (7) Kurt Rambis
    (7) Manute Bol

PG - Gary Payton/Michael Cooper
    SG - Paul George/J.R. Smith
    SF - Paul Pierce/Tayshaun Prince
    PF - Dennis Rodman/Robert Horry/Kurt Rambis
    C - Joakim Noah/Mark Eaton/Manute Bol

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    I've also think that Hinrich was a good pg to match with a more ball dominate shooting guard (Roy was pretty ball dominate and worked better with Steve Blake as opposed to Andre Miller)
    This is why I don't get why I've seen people pairing Roy with Miller.

[QUOTE]It

Learning to shoot layups

One from each method:

bird 1
    ak47 4
    Dale ellis 4
    Coach thibbs
    Chandler 5
    mookie blaylock 5
    Theo Ratliff 5
    richard jefferson 5
    cooper 6
    James Posey 6
    ibaka 6
    Eddie house 7
    jason kapono 7

Mookie/Cooper/house
    Ellis/Posey/rjeff
    ak47/rjeff/Posey/kapono
    bird/ibaka/ratliff
    chandler/ibaka/ratliff

Coach Thibbs

We'll ride Bird at the 4 for tricky low/high post action as our focal point. Ellis our secondary option with catch and shoot play. Thibbs can work out top level defense with that kind of lineup. AK47 covering the top swingman, or even a 4 a lil quick for Bird. 2nd team D is even tougher.
    _________

Option 2

Nash 2
    Durant 2
    Rasheed 3
    Camby 4
    Eddie Jones 4
    George Karl 4

Redd 5
    Laphonso Ellis5
    Jr Rider 5
    Ben Gordon 6
    Okur 6

Stromile 7
    Alvin Williams7

Nash/Barbosa/Williams
    Ejones/Redd/Gordon
    Durant/Rider/Ellis
    Sheed/Ellis/Stromile
    Camby/Okur/Stromile

George karl drive and kick ball. 4 folks with range + good slashers. Also, nash/sheed nash/durant/ pick and rolls.

On D, a lot of long arms and instincts, more than enough to cover for nash.

Oh, and karl uses the NC connection to keep sheed's head in the game. Victory!