Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #46
srv_fan
Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Soccer Players are World Class Athletes??

Quote:
a jar of LT's piss > David Beckham

Beckham isn't even close to a top level player in the Euro leagues, and he never was. He was hyped because he played for England, a country which wildly overrates any half decent player they have, he made one very memorable goal, and he's a big marketing icon. Claiming he is a top player is like trying to say Travis Henry is an elite RB- it's just not true.

LT is a crazy athlete, and I'm sure he could truck any soccer player, but I'm equally as sure Thierry Henry would blow by him in any race past 20 yards or so, and could keep running for a much longer period.

I love football and soccer, why can't people accept they require different types of athletes?
srv_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #47
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv_fan
Anyone who tries to claim top flight soccer players aren't sick athletes is basically saying that Allen Iverson, Nate Robertson, Ben Gordan, etc. aren't good athletes either. Because I guarentee that Thierry Henry, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, or Samuel Eto'o are just as quick, fast, explosive, and coordinated.

Enough with the ignorance.

Nate Robinson is on a completely different level than AI and Ben Gordon. So he's a bad comparison. He's an NFL player playing basketball. Dude is absolutely jacked which overall as an athlete puts him above AI and Ben Gordon.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #48
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young HkM
Or instead I can stop reading where I see a problem and reply to a borderline retarded post.

yeah,again,learn to read...
I wasn`t the one who started comparing NFL and NBA players with soccerplayers,it was a R-E-S-P-O-N-S-E...
I`ve never said that a soccerplayer has a chance in the NBA or the ABA...
but it`s V-I-C-E-V-E-R-S-A

Make It Rain said,that a handful of NFL players could survive in professional soccer,and I said "no way".

and vice-versa,a soccerplayer has no chance in the NBA...

That said,I think skills are more important than athleticism in any sport.
Caught my drift?
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #49
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Beckham isn't even close to a top level player in the Euro leagues, and he never was, you ignoramus. He was hyped because he played for England, a country which wildly overrates any half decent player they have, he made one very memorable goal, and he's a big marketing icon.

LT is a crazy athlete, and I'm sure he could truck any soccer player, but I'm equally as sure Thierry Henry would blow by him in any race past 20 yards or so, and could keep running for a much longer period.

I love football and soccer, why can't people accept they require different types of athletes?
Because only one type of athleticism is need to succeed Soccer and that's endurance. You can't be just be one type of athlete in the NBA or NFL. You have to be well-rounded.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #50
srv_fan
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Nate Robinson is on a completely different level than AI and Ben Gordon. So he's a bad comparison. He's an NFL player playing basketball. Dude is absolutely jacked which overall as an athlete puts him above AI and Ben Gordon.

Fair enough. Just insert any really quick, explosive, athletic player who's under 6'4.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #51
Make It Rain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk
I wasn`t the one who started comparing NFL and NBA players with soccerplayers,it was a R-E-S-P-O-N-S-E...

Make It Rain said,that a handful of NFL players could survive in professional soccer,and I said "no way".

Caught my drift?
I was speaking in terms of athleticism. We're talking about sheer athleticism with equal skill as a given. Obviously you can't just expect a player from one sport to succeed in the other. Use common sense and some grammar and spell checks. Add some spaces after punctuation while you're at it.
Make It Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #52
-primetime-

Quote:
Beckham isn't even close to a top level player in the Euro leagues, and he never was. He was hyped because he played for England, a country which wildly overrates any half decent player they have, he made one very memorable goal, and he's a big marketing icon. Claiming he is a top player is like trying to say Travis Henry is an elite RB- it's just not true.

if you read my previous posts you would see that I said this exact same thing you just did

and I am fully aware that Beckham is just famous because women find him good looking and he married a spice girl...he is past his prime and no where near the best..

I was just making a point that a star football player is more athletic than a star soccer player
Old 08-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #53
Dr Giggles
Not airballing my layups anymore

Ok, soccer players are not as strong as NFL players, and you rate that part of athleticism pretty highly. Simple reason is that being over 200 pounds is absolutely useless for playing soccer, in fact, it's a hindrance. I'm quite sure that there would be a huge number of soccer players that, if needed would be able to put on the necessary muscle mass to compete with the NFL players, don't forget the large amount of African players that play soccer. Thing is, having huge muscles is not needed in soccer, and being very tall is usually an inconvenience too.

And for the record, I think NBA players are the best overall athletes in the world, they have the strength, the endurance, speed and skill, more well rounded than soccer and NFL football IMO.
Dr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #54
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
a jar of LT's piss > David Beckham

Damn,my piss>David Beckham...

Becks is one of the most overrated athletes in the world...
Old 08-11-2007, 07:01 PM   #55
srv_fan
Learning to shoot layups

Quote:
Because only one type of athleticism is need to succeed Soccer and that's endurance. You can't be just be one type of athlete in the NBA or NFL. You have to be well-rounded.

Quote:

I was just making a point that a star football player is more athletic than a star soccer player

Let's examine this NFL versus top flight soccer thing.

Strength- NFL by a mile. They're way stronger.

Endurance- Soccer by a mile. They have to cover much more distance.

Flatout speed- If you compare the fastest players from each league, it's about equal. However, I will say that due to superior musculature, someone like Devin Hester is probably faster in a short sprint (first 20 yards), while I'd take, say, Robinho in a longer sprint (say, 40 yards).

Quickness (NOT explosion. I'm talking agility and change of direction)- again, comparing the most agile players from each league, equal. Football is more downfield, strong cuts type of thing. Soccer is many small quick moves in the middle of a crowd- more shifty than anything else.

Toughness- football by a mile. Not even debatable.

Coordination and skill- Close, but on average, soccer. The coordination required to be an NFL quarterback measures up to the level needed to control a ball. Same with a wide receiver making a tough catch. But when you start thinking about how many players in the NFL rarely, if ever, touch the ball, you have to give it to the sport where everyone has to be able to control and move with the ball.

Sounds pretty even to me.

Serious question to anyone posting on this thread: how much Euro league soccer have you watched?
It's a fair question, because I think a lot of people are associating soccer in the U.S., which ABSOLUTELY gets the reject athletes from bigger sports. American football players destroy American soccer players athletically. However, in virtually every country besides America, the best athletes are playing soccer, not football. Do you guys actually think a talent pool drawing from the best athletes of a population of several BILLION can't produce an equal athlete to NBA guards or NFL wide recievers? Think of all the gold medal winners in sprints, long distance running, high jumps, weightlifting, wrestling, etc. that come from countries other than the US. I'm pretty sure if they can produce gold medal winners in every other sport, they can get athletes as good as the best American ones.

Last edited by srv_fan : 08-11-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #56
Rockets(T-mac)
NBA rookie of the year

They are also world class floppers.

In all seriousness though, they are world class athletes. They are great at basically anything that involves their legs. Most have crazy hops, but we don't see them use it too much (only for headers). They might not have the athletic ability as say NBA guards but they are still very good.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #57
Dr Giggles
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
They are also world class floppers.

In all seriousness though, they are world class athletes. They are great at basically anything that involves their legs. Most have crazy hops, but we don't see them use it too much (only for headers). They might not have the athletic ability as say NBA guards but they are still very good.

True, once Real Madrid couldn't train on their usual grounds because of a storm or something, so the coach just let them goof around in the basketball gym and most of the guys managed to dunk pretty easily, most of them between 5'8 and 6'2 which is more or less the average soccer player height. I remember because it was on the sports news since it was quite an unusual event.
Dr Giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #58
CAYO
Serious playground baller

Yes They Are
CAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #59
dhenk
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make It Rain
I was speaking in terms of athleticism. We're talking about sheer athleticism with equal skill as a given. Obviously you can't just expect a player from one sport to succeed in the other. Use common sense and some grammar and spell checks. Add some spaces after punctuation while you're at it.

Im fine with my english,although my german is better.
Common sense is the point. We`re not talking about sheer athleticism.
Americans talk about sheer athleticism. Especially american NBA fans.

With equal skill as a given?

Skill is much harder to achieve than Athleticism.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #60
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenk

Caught my drift?

Do you even know what the **** vice-versa is? Vice versa would be a professional soccer player playing in the NFL not the NBA dip****. Looks like you're the one who needs to learn to read.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: