Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: How great would a white-american superstar be for the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by KelticForce1349
    No. I believe it's the over-dribbling, ball-hogging/chucking, non-passing, slow tempo, ticky-tack fouls that is turning casual fans away from the game. Throw in a bit of nostalgia for the good old days and then try to watch this younger generation of stars grabbing their jerseys, pumping their fists, etc while remembering Sir Charles, Magic, Bird, Dr J, Jordan, etc...

The Basketball of today doesn't stack up the glory days. White, brown, black, red, whatever-whatever my friend.
    I agree somewhat.

There is a study somewhere that just came out that said that there is more passing now than back in those days.

However, the way the game is played to draw fouls and create contact because players use the "ticky-tack fouls" to their advantage and play to get fouled and or three point plays....they flop....make all kinds of gestures and fall to get a call and a lot of the time it's just energy wasted.
    Last edited by Go Getter; 05-29-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Another thing is most people think basketball is for blacks only. Was just on HFBorads(hockey fourm) and someone said in the tv ad for the Stanley Cup reminds him of basketball, because of the Enimem song and he hates basketball.

I would like someone to stop thinking anyone who likes basketball is black and likes rap.

I'm telling you guys tho, it's a mental thing.

I think in America these days, Black people are viewed as tougher and more dominant... so when a white guy finds himself matched up against a black guy, I think they get intimidated, especially if the black guy is talking trash trying to get in his head. Not everyone will get intimidated, but many white people grow up in predominately white neighborhoods and are used to people just playing... not a lot of trash talking, flash, or aggressive play. Black people grow up in environments where that is very prevalent... and in sports those help intimidate others and boost self confidence/performance.

That's my theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    I'm telling you guys tho, it's a mental thing.

I think in America these days, Black people are viewed as tougher and more dominant... so when a white guy finds himself matched up against a black guy, I think they get intimidated, especially if the black guy is talking trash trying to get in his head. Not everyone will get intimidated, but many white people grow up in predominately white neighborhoods and are used to people just playing... not a lot of trash talking, flash, or aggressive play. Black people grow up in environments where that is very prevalent... and in sports those help intimidate others and boost self confidence/performance.

That's my theory.
    stereotypical at its best

growing up in both white and black dominated neighborhoods, I totally disagree with your statement. I understand where you're coming from, but in my opinion it has more to do with population than race. I see it as cities vs suburbs rather than blacks vs whites.

It would be huge. Jason Williams had the highest selling jersey in the league at one point, and he played for the small market Kings. Part of the reason Adam Morrison went so high was because of his box office potential if he panned out. He was getting superstar level endorsement deals before he ever played a minute. Do you remember him starring in those EA Sports commercials?