Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Raptor Truth - 2009-2010 Preview

Raptors=Dangerous. Elite teams better watch out.

From what I've seen in preseason. The Raps are still soft on interior D. Could/will be an issue moving forward.

Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads... but it seems people keep going overboard describing/comparing players all around this board. What business does Jose Calderon have being mentioned against Steve Nash, or Andrea Bargnani against Dirk Nowitzki?

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Maybe I'm just reading the wrong threads... but it seems people keep going overboard describing/comparing players all around this board. What business does Jose Calderon have being mentioned against Steve Nash, or Andrea Bargnani against Dirk Nowitzki?
    Agree, both are poor man versions of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    Agree, both are poor man versions of the other.
    Almost poorer than poor.

You can say Beasley is a poor mans version of Jamison... because who is Jamison? an allstar, sure, but he hasn't done much in his career. At best he's a second option, but probably better suited as third.

To call Calderon and Bargnani even a poor mans version of Nash & Dirk is a big compliment. Those are 2 former MVPs you are talking about. At this point, I'm not even sure Bargnani or Calderon can be a legit second option on a contender, let alone first option like those two.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    Calderon needs to learn that word.

Local High School Star indiefan23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lyoto15
    Great to hear!
    I actually wasn't up to date about his starting position what so ever. Im sure he will impress them up in toronto and play the majority of the minutes sooner or later.
    I was seriously pumped about Derozen going into the draft. There were like, 4 people worth much of anything in the whole thing and I never thought his stock would drop that much. He's like Anthony Randolph in that he's totally exciting and unlike the Warriors, they'll give him minutes.

The one thing I really dig about the coaching change... I think Triano realizes that winning long term has little to do with winning short term, and management is on the same page.

Well, cuz at this point in his career, Calderon is light years ahead of where Nash was, and at his height, theres no other player in the league who can do with Bargnani does except Dirk. Its pretty obvious. If you take out Bargnani's second year on the bench doing nothing their stats are even similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    Calderon needs to learn that word.
    Okay, can 'anyone' explain to me why people say this about point guards? Having a lock down PG is no where near as important as having a point who can run the offense, take care of the ball and make good decisions. Count the rings on Tony Parker's fingers and remember how great Nash's MVP teams were. Consider that TP has started at point on the best perennial defensive team of this decade. Great defensive teams are not built around point guards. They are not. Having a lock down point is really nice to have, but Kirk Hinrich is NOT starting on the Bulls because good D at the 1 is just not that important. The raps are not fantastic on D, and that granted, but to slam Calderon cuz he doesn't 'shut people down' is just silly. Points need to play team D, not lock people up.

Almost poorer than poor.

You can say Beasley is a poor mans version of Jamison... because who is Jamison? an allstar, sure, but he hasn't done much in his career. At best he's a second option, but probably better suited as third.

To call Calderon and Bargnani even a poor mans version of Nash & Dirk is a big compliment. Those are 2 former MVPs you are talking about. At this point, I'm not even sure Bargnani or Calderon can be a legit second option on a contender, let alone first option like those two.
    Love ISH. ;0 So the PG who's far and away got the best assist:turnover ration in the league and never misses FT's is not capable of playing point on a contender huh?

BTW, comparisons were made, no one stated Barg/Jose were Dirk/Nash. The discussion is about where they're going, not where they are.

Whats up indie fan? Good to see you back.

Like who?

What Cs or Pfs are available through trade or free agency who are better than Bosh who can play from the low post & defend the low post?

But you are right... that team needs an Elton Brand. Someone who can defend & play from the low post while being offset by all those shoters. Either that or just force Bosh into the low post... he's effective once he commits himself.
    Would Kaman or Biedrins fit on Toronto well?

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by Huey Freeman
    Would Kaman or Biedrins fit on Toronto well?
    Absolutely. They are 2 players that I've wanted at C beside Bosh for a while.

The Raptors will probably start too slow to get anything better than the 6th seed. Also, they will not be entertaining. Too many boring, methodical European players.