Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Dwight is statistically the worst offensive center in the league

Unless you are only looking at PPG that is.

Howard has shot 20-of-60, or 33 percent, on post-up attempts this season, per Synergy Sports. That would have ranked 88th out of 92 players who recorded at least 75 post-up plays last season. He has turned over the ball on an astonishing 24 percent of his post-up chances this season, per Synergy. That would have ranked last among those 92 players last season.

Default Re: Dwight is statistically the worst offensive center in the league

Another Dwight thread? Really?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
    Another Dwight thread? Really?
    This thread is actually about advanced statistics from Synergy sports.

I know a lot of Insidehoopers are fans of numbers and statistics. I thought they'd be interested in knowing these numbers and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

I know a lot of Insidehoopers are fans of numbers and statistics. I thought they'd be interested in knowing these numbers and statistics.
    this thread is about dwight

suck a dick bro

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young

only if you included the stats of every other center in the league. after all, what's the point of your title if you're only going to talk about Dwight? i imagine when you say, "Dwight is the worst offensive center in the league" you'd be pointing out to us a comparison, and that means stats of other centers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    this thread is about dwight

suck a dick bro
    You don't find it interesting how the best center of this generation is so awful during his peak years?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Wow man. All that training with Hakeem isn't getting through his head atm. What about the other players? Like are Deandre Jordan and Blake Griffin are better than him? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    You don't find it interesting how the best center of this generation is so awful during his peak years?
    i'm not a stat guy

and howard isnt the best center in the league. + this era is weak as shit when it comes to centers

at least the rockets isnt paying javale mcgee 11 mill a year

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

No 17ppg player shooting 54% has ever been the worst offensive player at any position in any league ever and they never will be. And a glance at your own post make it obvious that isn't even what is being measured there. And that it would have to consider non centers just to get to 92 players who posted up 75+ times....LAST season.

There is Dwight Howard not scoring as much/as well as some would like...and there is Asik having as many sub 10 point nights last season as Dwight has in 8 years combined.

There is Dwight scoring an ugly 20 and....Bismack Biyombo scoring an ugly 4.

Dwight is gonna end up a 20,000 point scorer. I believe there have only been 10....ever. Dwight is around 13,000 at 28. But yea....an eventual top 10-12 all time scorer for his position is the worst scorer at that position in the league in his prime.

Give behaving like a normal person a shot. Just...for today.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 11-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    No 17ppg player shooting 54% has ever been the worst offensive player at any position in any league ever and they never will be. And a glance at your own post make it obvious that isn't even what is being measured there. And that it would have to consider non centers just to get to 92 players who posted up 75+ times....LAST season.

There is Dwight Howard not scoring as much/as well as some would like...and there is Asik having as many sub 10 point nights last season as Dwight has in 8 years combined.

There is Dwight scoring an ugly 20 and....Bismack Biyombo scoring an ugly 4.

Dwight is gonna end up a 20,000 point scorer. I believe there have only been 10....ever. Dwight is around 13,000 at 28. But yea....an eventual top 10-12 all time scorer for his position is the worst scorer at that position in the league in his prime.

Give behaving like a normal person a shot. Just...for today.
    just cause he compile that many points in no way suggest he was actually a top 10-12 scorer in his position in term of offensive abilities. there's a difference between those two statements, don't conflate them. Dwight is not a dependable scoring option down low

This is not a startling trend. Here are Howard's post-up numbers for the preceding three seasons:

2010-11: 50.6 percent shooting, 14.5 percent turnover rate

2011-12: 49.9 percent shooting, 13.6 percent turnover rate

2012-13: 44.5 percent shooting, 18.2 percent turnover rate

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

just cause he compile that many points in no way suggest he was actually a top 10-12 scorer in his position in term of offensive abilities.
    I felt that was too obvious to bother explaining. You wouldn't feel a bit...spoken down to...if someone tried to explain to you that total points isn't the same as offensive ability?

I would.

That said....you don't score 18-22 a game in the nba and be the worst scorer at your position. Not even if its Dajuan Wagner shooting 35%.

The worst players never get put in position to even attempt to score at the rate you have to to be a 20 thousand point scorer. Which I also felt was too obvious to bother pointing out but it seems you want clarity on things I know you aren't dumb enough to actually need me to explain.

I generally assume people know I know better when its something that clear....so I don't waste time with lengthy explanations. My posts get too long as it is.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I felt that was too obvious to bother explaining. You wouldn't feel a bit...spoken down to...if someone tried to explain to you that total points isn't the same as offensive ability?

I would.

That said....you don't score 18-22 a game in the nba and be the worst scorer at your position. Not even if its Dajuan Wagner shooting 35%.

The worst players never get put in position to even attempt to score at the rate you have to to be a 20 thousand point scorer. Which I also felt was too obvious to bother pointing out but it seems you want clarity on things I know you aren't dumb enough to actually need me to explain.

I generally assume people know I know better when its something that clear....so I don't waste time with lengthy explanations. My posts get too long as it is.
    so you agree you brought up something completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand?

Dwight is on the court because of his defense and his points are byproduct of that and putbacks/dunks/offensive rebounds/fastbreak points etc

Nothing at all pertinent to his post up efficiency
    Last edited by STATUTORY; 11-20-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

No not at all, just stop you're embarrassing yourself.

his offense when he posts up is terrible this year. makes me wonder why houston just won't use him on the PnR more. just get it to him there it creates open shots and he has finished very well the few times they have this season.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    only if you included the stats of every other center in the league. after all, what's the point of your title if you're only going to talk about Dwight? i imagine when you say, "Dwight is the worst offensive center in the league" you'd be pointing out to us a comparison, and that means stats of other centers.
    Do you deny these statistics and numbers then?