Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Iguodala leads the NBA in true shooting and effective field goal pct

Maybe the most important factor in Iguodala's offensive success this season has been his three-point shooting. Long an inconsistent-at-best three-point shooter, Iguodala has made 52.4 percent of his attempts from beyond the arc this season. The main reason for this? He's always open.

Iguodala is often the fifth-biggest offensive threat on the court. Of his 407 minutes played so far this season, he's been on the court with the Curry-Thompson-Lee-Bogut foursome for 192 of them. In those minutes, Iguodala has made 61.9 percent of his three point shots, according to nbawowy. Of the 18 spot-up threes he has had made this year, per Synergy, I count 14 that were taken without so much as a hand in his face at the moment of release.

Because of the myriad offensive threats around him, Iguodala finds himself having to take only the most wide open shots from the perimeter. As such, he's attempting fewer shots per game and per 36 minutes than at any time since his second season in the league, and his efficiency has skyrocketed.

He's shooting 60.9 percent from the field and his 72.2 true shooting and 72.8 effective field-goal percentage both lead the league. These percentages are bound to come back to earth over the next few weeks, but the quality of looks he's getting from, and creating for his teammates, and denying the opposition is a real thing that should stay consistent over the course of the season.

Jared Dubin works for Bloomberg Sports, writes and edits for the ESPN TrueHoop Network sites Hardwood Paroxysm and HoopChalk, is a freelance contributor toGrantland, and is coauthor of We'll Always Have Linsanity.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...state-warriors

Default Re: Iguodala leads the NBA in true shooting and effective field goal pct

Right now he's shooting 19% better from 3 than his career 3P%, 15% better from the floor than his career FG%, 17% better than his career TS%, and 23% better than his career eFG%.

In other words, it's highly likely him maintaining this level of insanely efficient scoring won't continue, and when he does start to regress to the mean, it's going to be sudden and drastic.

Meant to add...I don't think he'll completely come back to his career averages, because I do agree that playing alongside players like Curry, Thompson, Lee, and even Barnes (who has looked pretty good lately) will give him more open looks than he's ever had in his career. But there will be some level of regression, and it will still probably be pretty drastic. He's not going to have a 60/50 FG/3P season along with 70%+ TS and eFG.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-19-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Iguodala leads the NBA in true shooting and effective field goal pct

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    Right now he's shooting 19% better from 3 than his career 3P%, 15% better from the floor than hsi career FG%, 17% better than his career TS%, and 23% better than his career eFG%.

In other words, it's highly likely him maintaining this level of insanely efficient scoring won't continue, and when he does start to regress to the mean, it's going to be sudden and drastic.

Hey, teams gotta focus on curry and klay, so iggy will continue to get his open looks if they're on the floor. Plus bogut and lee pass well to him.

No.

I'm not so sure about that. Iggy is in the perfect situation for his style of play. Iggy likes to be a playmaker, not a scorer. On this Warriors team, they don't NEED him to score a single bucket, and the level of freedom that creates has him playing at a level he's never achieved in his career. I'm not saying he's going to maintain his current percentages, but I expect Iggy to have a career best year in efficiency, and by a wide margin.

Right now he's shooting 19% better from 3 than his career 3P%, 15% better from the floor than his career FG%, 17% better than his career TS%, and 23% better than his career eFG%.

You sure about that? Iggy hasn't been in this position yet in his career. He's the 4th offensive option on the team. Teams aren't paying attention to him and he's getting a ton of open looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcats2013
    You sure about that? Iggy hasn't been in this position yet in his career. He's the 4th offensive option on the team. Teams aren't paying attention to him and he's getting a ton of open looks.
    Yeah, and then I get the bad edit in way too late. I meant to say I think he'll probably be beter than his career averages, but he's not going to keep up this level of efficiency. And I'd be highly surprised if he's within 10% points of any of his current efficiency numbers. Meaning...

His career averages : 46% FG, 33% 3P, 55% TS, and 50% eFG

Current: 61% FG, 52% 3P, 72% TS, 73% eFG

So if I think he comes down by 10-12 percentage points in every category, he'd still be above his career averages. I should've clarified better in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Drew
    No.

Yes. all you're proving is iguodala has taken far more shots than all the above. Iggy has taken less than Lebron, but much more than Quincy Adams.

Yeah, and then I get the bad edit in way too late. I meant to say I think he'll probably be beter than his career averages, but he's not going to keep up this level of efficiency. And I'd be highly surprised if he's within 10% points of any of his current efficiency numbers. Meaning...

His career averages : 46% FG, 33% 3P, 55% TS, and 50% eFG

Current: 61% FG, 52% 3P, 72% TS, 73% eFG

So if I think he comes down by 10-12 percentage points in every category, he'd still be above his career averages. I should've clarified better in my first post.

Maybe, but I think he's going to go up 5 to 10 percent

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

It's impressive, but hard to get all worked up about a player averaging only 14 ppg in terms of efficiency.

Great college starter

dude only takes 8 shots per game

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

lol that kobe pic is killing me

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopz2332
    dude only takes 8 shots per game

He's a glue guy and not selfish. He could take 0 shots per game and still be effective.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    He's a glue guy and not selfish. He could take 0 shots per game and still be effective.

I agree but he's not as good as lebron, like you said in that other thread. He's not even as good as Paul George.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopz2332
    I agree but he's not as good as lebron, like you said in that other thread. He's not even as good as Paul George.

I didn't say that in the other thread