Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Celtics Big Three era comes to an end. What now?

- build around Rondo
    - trade Allen for a young player and/or picks. I'd imagine that there would be some teams interested
    - KG is almost impossible to trade due to his huge contract; let it expire and use that cap space on young, athletic players who can run with Rondo
    - trade Pierce too if you can get good value; the whole "let him retire as a Celtic" idea is silly. Not interested in handing out lifetime achievement awards
    -re-sign Green, Bass
    - Use your picks and cap space to rebuild the team on the fly during the offseason

The situation isn't as daunting as some make it.
    Last edited by JohnnySic; 02-21-2012 at 10:57 AM.

Rondo+JO for Lowry+Dalembert?

Decent playground baller PTstyle272's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGXEN
    Guys i think Boston should try to trade for: David Lee, Paul George, Nicolas Batum.
    Most your going to get out of Indy is DC,Hansbrough, picks

You are going to be in the middle of the totem pole anyway, either 7th or 8th seed or just miss the playoffs. I would just play it out this one final year unless its a no brainer trade decision. KG and Allen coming off the books. There will be a lot of cap room and Rondo and Pierce are both playing well, that may be attractive to free agents. I gotta say I hated Boston's guts during the era where the Cavs were contenders, they eliminated us twice! But, nothing but respect for the big 3, it was a great run.

Why would you trade Rondo?

Their major players are coming off the books. Let Ray and KG walk. Keep P2 and Rondo.

Try to sign Eric Gordon. Make a play for Howard.

There are many free agents to be had.
    Last edited by RaininTwos; 02-21-2012 at 11:05 AM.

Rondo's inconsistency really bothers me. In some games when he is really aggressive, he looks like the best PG in the NBA and yet in the other games, he becomes passive as hell and simply stands around along the perimeter ordering guys around and be contented with it. Honestly I feel that the PG position is really overrated. You cant win a championship with your PG as the primary focus of your offense. Historically maybe only Magic did it, but Magic was really unique unlike modern PGs.

I'd love to have guys like Jrue Holiday or maybe Lowry running the point. Guys that play hard night in and out.
    With the no-hand check rules, nobody has a bigger influence on an NBA game than the PG. Now, do you win a championship with a PG? No more than you do with one great player at any position. Magic had a few pretty good players around him.

Rondo is always going to be a bit limited offensively, but his defense and playmaking set him several notches above the likes of Holiday or Lowry. He gets to the rim, rebounds well for his position, and is a very heady player. Holiday hasn't proven he's a true point. Lowry hasn't shown he can produce in a winning situation.

This Boston team has squeezed out a couple years of competitiveness due to Rondo. Pierce still a great player, though he's worth more to Boston than anyone else. Garnett and Allen are one dimensional. Bass is an upgrade over Davis, but that's not the kind of move that brings you closer to a championship. The bench has been lean. They're just not that good, and Rondo has hidden lots of their warts. If he's not reduced to playing with one hand, last year's EC could have played out quite differently.

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    - build around Rondo
    - trade Allen for a young player and/or picks. I'd imagine that there would be some teams interested
    - KG is almost impossible to trade due to his huge contract; let it expire and use that cap space on young, athletic players who can run with Rondo
    - trade Pierce too if you can get good value; the whole "let him retire as a Celtic" idea is silly. Not interested in handing out lifetime achievement awards
    -re-sign Green, Bass
    - Use your picks and cap space to rebuild the team on the fly during the offseason

The situation isn't as daunting as some make it.
    u dont build around offensively limited PGs such as rondo.....he requires alot of talent around him for him and this team to be successful. Trade him for young wing player and a pick.

It has been a good run Celtics, seriously. Too bad you know its impossible to prevent this team from falling when KG gets dominated by the likes of Yi Jianlian and Malik Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    u dont build around offensively limited PGs such as rondo.....he requires alot of talent around him for him and this team to be successful. Trade him for young wing player and a pick.
    You build around a young wing and an undetermined pick?

More to the game than scoring. That's why there are always young wings and unproven picks available, and not many top line PG.

National High School Star I.R.Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    You build around a young wing and an undetermined pick?

More to the game than scoring. That's why there are always young wings and unproven picks available, and not many top line PG.
    Who the hell is he gonna pass to?.....rondo is not a cornerstone type of player he's the last piece to a puzzle. You build a talented team , then u bring in a guy like rondo....not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by I.R.Beast
    Who the hell is he gonna pass to?.....rondo is not a cornerstone type of player he's the last piece to a puzzle. You build a talented team , then u bring in a guy like rondo....not the other way around.

Their situation is they have Rondo and big expiring contracts. Zero business sense to let KG and Ray walk, try to deal Rondo for value, and build around 34year old Paul Pierce. You can't turn over your entire roster, and Rondo & Pierce give you two solid guys to fill in pieces around.

Bass + Ray Allen for Amare.

Or something like that.

So what would you do if you were in Danny Ainge's shoes?

For me, I will be open to trading anyone especially Rondo. I think Paul should retire a Celtic, and he would still be valuable as a scorer and facilitator at times for the team even 2 years down the road.
    KG is done, for sure. But his massive $20M contract running its last year this season makes him a valuable asset to teams looking to shed salary to entice top free agents in the FA next season.
    I'm not sure what to do with Ray. He is still serviceable, and he is still a great shooter but same as KG, his $10M contract expires after this season so he could be another asset to move as well.
    I would be very open towards trading Rondo. He has a very reasonable price tag (4YEARS, $46M) for an elite PG who is still young and can contribute greatly to contenders.

Like what AMISTILLILL has posted before, I agree with him that we should start rebuilding now than waiting for KG and Ray's contract to expire. Rebuilding process should start ASAP to prepare for the next era in Boston.

So what do you guys think?

Do the Celts really want to give up on Rondo?

Allen would draw some interest from some contenders, and a little something back is better than nothing back.

Decent playground baller PTstyle272's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    Bass + Ray Allen for Amare.

Or something like that.
    lol

Rondo+JO for Lowry+Dalembert?

Oh I like that idea!