Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Default The Ignore List is your friend.

Once I've found out person's intentions aren't sincere and have added someone to my ignore list it definitely improved the experience of this board. We currently have a very talented troll. You may want to just ignore him and spare him the attention he craves. Just Saying.

Why do Trolls Troll?
Quote:
Attention and recognition, even if negative
The emotional release of venting
Power (the power to disrupt)
Vandalism
The thrill of breaking social conventions
Sabotaging groups the troll dislikes
Immaturity

KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
LamarOdom
Banned

Default Re: The Ignore List is your friend.

Bagelred is a trool
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

You just listed reasons why kids act like assholes on the internet. None of those are why real trolls...troll.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
gigantes
‪ ‪

personally i like to let a lot of different parts of myself fly on this site, particularly as i'm working on breaking up some old logjams in my mind. this site is such a madhouse of reasoned opinions and utter absurdity that it seems like an appropriate place for it. :P

OTOH, i do not actually like hurting ppl if i can help it, although my opinion of civilisation is low to say the least and i DO sometimes try to nudge ppl a little to help them out of their mental boxes. which is probably not appropriate really, so i should really cut that shit out if i can possibly help it. >_<

if anybody ever has an issue with something i said, pls let me know. i'll generally either apologise or try to explain what i was really getting at. okay, peace!
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
gigantes
‪ ‪

btw, i think trolls are actually a pretty good test of adulthood for the user in question. they're extreme and manipulative because of the safety of the internet, but they come straight from RL, so that's always an ongoing education right there.

often a trolling is a nice little opportunity to exercise your facts, reasoning, mental stability, etc. so, like... shame on him for the 1st round or two. but then it becomes shame on you if you get too riled up to disengage. it that case, it prompts you to work on your ability to let things go, a gloriously useful skill anywhere and always.

sort of like that saying about your enemies being some of your best teachers, or however that goes.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
btw, i think trolls are actually a pretty good test of adulthood for the user in question. they're extreme and manipulative because of the safety of the internet, but they come straight from RL, so that's always an ongoing education right there.

often a trolling is a nice little opportunity to exercise your facts, reasoning, mental stability, etc. so, like... shame on him for the 1st round or two. but then it becomes shame on you if you get too riled up to disengage. it that case, it prompts you to work on your ability to let things go, a gloriously useful skill anywhere and always.

sort of like that saying about your enemies being some of your best teachers, or however that goes.

Whatever you say Zen Master.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes

The reason I say this troll is skilled is he tries different tactics to keep you engaged.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #8
gigantes
‪ ‪

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Whatever you say Zen Master.
sorry grasshopper, am preaching to choir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
The reason I say this troll is skilled is he tries different tactics to keep you engaged.
if someone was targetting me personally w/ trolling, that would be the crossover pt.
going beyond case of skill-polishing of one's bomb defusement teams.

there is a classic hack install for vB... too bad jeff doesn't have installed. it not only mutes them, it turns their every post and some other actions completely invisible.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: