Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Reggie Miller > Steph Curry

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    Disagree about Miller. He was the only constant in those Indiana teams from all those years. That was't coincidence. Some guys are just natural leaders who guys follow and I think Miller was one of them. The game isn't played by robots. You need good leaders to win imo. Miller was leading teams deep into the playoffs well into his late 30's. That carries weight to me. Winning carries weight (I know he didn't win a ring). Clutch matters to me so does leadership qualities. He passed my eye test. He wasn't afriad of the moment. Many guys are, he wasn't.
    Being a good leader doesn't make you a good basketball player. It just makes you a good leader. It's not a basketball specific skill so I dont rate it as such. And like I said I know for a fact in one of these debates that Kblaze produced a quote where Larry Brown, the actual coach of the team, called McKie the leader of the team, so it's arguable whether Miller was really even the leader on some of those teams or not.

I give you he wasn't afraid of the moment too, but again that's not a basketball specific skill. It does help your team win more, but I rate on basketball skill, and that alone. Anything opens you up to paradoxes and contradictions.

I mean I don't think Miller's a bum. And I feel like he could be possibly a second and deff a third option on a legit title contender. Basically like Klay now. I mean how high do you have Klay ranked in the current league based off his skill level compared to his peers? And how different do you really think there skill levels are? They're basically at the same level skill wise IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizko
    Being a good leader doesn't make you a good basketball player. It just makes you a good leader. It's not a basketball specific skill so I dont rate it as such. And like I said I know for a fact in one of these debates that Kblaze produced a quote where Larry Brown, the actual coach of the team, called McKie the leader of the team, so it's arguable whether Miller was really even the leader on some of those teams or not.

I give you he wasn't afraid of the moment too, but again that's not a basketball specific skill. It does help your team win more, but I rate on basketball skill, and that alone. Anything opens you up to paradoxes and contradictions.

I mean I don't think Miller's a bum. And I feel like he could be possibly a second and deff a third option on a legit title contender. Basically like Klay now. I mean how high do you have Klay ranked in the current league based off his skill level compared to his peers? And how different do you really think there skill levels are? They're basically at the same level skill wise IMO.
    All the intangibles matter to me. And calling McKenzie a leader is akin to P. Jackson calling Fish the leader of the Lakers. It's one thing to lead in the locker room but another to do it on the court.

But to your point, Miller had the burden of being "the man" for all his years. Defenses focused on stopping him first in all those playoff runs. That makes it harder. Klay has never had such attention. Sure, he's done it in stretches but that is different from almost 2 decades of defensive attention. And that matters.

In a vacuum, you can argue both have similar games but Miller is the only one where he PROVED that he can be "the man" and still take his team deep in the playoffs.

All the intangibles matter to me. And calling McKenzie a leader is akin to P. Jackson calling Fish the leader of the Lakers. It's one thing to lead in the locker room but another to do it on the court.

But to your point, Miller had the burden of being "the man" for all his years. Defenses focused on stopping him first in all those playoff runs. That makes it harder. Klay has never had such attention. Sure, he's done it in stretches but that is different from almost 2 decades of defensive attention. And that matters.

In a vacuum, you can argue both have similar games but Miller is the only one where he PROVED that he can be "the man" and still take his team deep in the playoffs.
    Fair enough. Those aren't bad points. I would bring up that in 98 the Bulls put Pippen on Jackson to stymie the Pacers offense before they could really get into it, so at least in that case I feel like Reggie had a teammate that faced more defensive attention them him, but overall? Yea he did face the most.

I mean at this point i feel like we should agree to disagree? Your viewpoint isn't wrong and you lay your arguments out well so I can't exactly disagree with you. I just have a different way I rate players that I kinda feel differs from the norm I guess.

Fair enough. Those aren't bad points. I would bring up that in 98 the Bulls put Pippen on Jackson to stymie the Pacers offense before they could really get into it, so at least in that case I feel like Reggie had a teammate that faced more defensive attention them him, but overall? Yea he did face the most.

I mean at this point i feel like we should agree to disagree? Your viewpoint isn't wrong and you lay your arguments out well so I can't exactly disagree with you. I just have a different way I rate players that I kinda feel differs from the norm I guess.
    Fair enough. I also understood all your points. We just see Miller through slightly different lenses.

Fair enough. I also understood all your points. We just see Miller through slightly different lenses.

Your a good dude. Too much of the forum is dumb trolling now. Thats why I've decided to post more. Help level out the trolls a bit.

Your a good dude. Too much of the forum is dumb trolling now. Thats why I've decided to post more. Help level out the trolls a bit.

Yup. The trolling has been too epic for my liking since the finals. Makes it less enjoyable to visit this forum.

Miller handled the physicality of playoff bball better. Curry can correct that as he has many long, playoff runs left but he's got a rep right now as a guy who can't handle physicality, and rightfully so.

Miller was great from the most basic, fundamental offensive position, the triple threat (quick first step, can drive, 1 and 2 dribble pull up) while Curry has NO game from the TT. And that is the primary reason why Miller was noticeably more effective against playoff physicality. Not to mention a great off ball, catch and shoot game. But Miller was superior to Curry at fighting through picks too. Not to mention, being 3-4 inches taller helped.

In a vacuum, Curry was better but add in playoff bball and physicality into the equation and you can argue Miller was better. His playoff stats, clutch play, etc don't lie.
    The absolute king of stupid posts.

The crown is taken from KiddlovesNets and passed to you.

Un-freaking-believable. Some other kid will probably read it and take it as gospel. Jeff seriously needs to ban stupid people like you.

Reggie is a legend but Steph is a better shooter, shot creator and just his presence on the court trumps Reggie. Steph would've strived in any era.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Not really. Klay is a closer comparison for Reggie.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Steph Curry has more mvps amd more rings

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

People forget that Reggie was one of the best ever off the ball, it's an art that not many people are great at.

But what's truly underrated is Reggie's ability WITH the ball. Ball in hand, Reggie is still deadly because he understands how to read the defender.

True, he may not be flashy or athletic, he doesn't have Curry's handles, but HE DIDN'T NEED THEM. He had exceptional footwork, knew how to get people off balance and take advantage of a player's defensive mistakes. He was simply good at reading the defense and using small shakes, shimmies, jabs and 1-2 dribbles to get shots off.

His post up game was also nice as once again, he knew how to get a shot off based on the player's body/position.

People will rush to highlights and claim "he's taking wide open shots!" well that's the point of being a good player, is getting the easiest shot possible. His shots were a result of his footwork and ability to find spots and set up his shot. He simply didn't stand there and wait for the ball, he lays waiting for his defender's mistake, he put in work and watched his status escalate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Reggie Miller would quite possibly be the 7th man for the Warriors. 5th best player probably. But hes not starting and he wouldnt be more important than Iggy for many matchups.
    Damn didnt know Kblaze is a Reggie a hater?

Prime Reggie would start over any Klay Thompson, come on man... can you imagine such a competitive assassin playing with this goat stacked team? Running around screens (which he was the best ever at, even Ray Allen did admit he studied his bag of tricks) with no attention... catching & shooting... no physicallity... no handchecking.... wow...

Better yet can you imagine Klay being in the 80s/90s seat of Reggie? Being a #1 option surrounded with scrubs mostly, max attention, getting hammered by the most physical play, competitiveness & handchecking ever.... he would go into a fetal position... Maybe the same would go for Curry in that seat, with the physical play+handchecking he wouldnt be able to do the things he does at the moment, he could have been like a peak Mark Price and at worst Mahmoud Abdul Rauf... he would still be damn good, but nothing like what you see today... Reggie would be dancing on roses in todays era, he would be on a relaxing vacation....
    Last edited by pauk; 07-25-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Reggie Miller would quite possibly be the 7th man for the Warriors. 5th best player probably. But hes not starting and he wouldnt be more important than Iggy for many matchups.
    This has to go in the "dumbest things said on ISH" thread.

Curry's better than Reggie, but this is pathetic trolling by a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Damn didnt know Kblaze is a Reggie a hater?

Prime Reggie would start over any Klay Thompson, come on man... can you imagine such a competitive assassin playing with this goat stacked team? Running around screens (which he was the best ever at, even Ray Allen did admit he studied his bag of tricks) with no attention... catching & shooting... no physicallity... no handchecking.... wow...

Better yet can you imagine Klay being in the 80s/90s seat of Reggie? Being a #1 option surrounded with scrubs mostly, max attention, getting hammered by the most physical play, competitiveness & handchecking ever.... he would go into a fetal position... Maybe the same would go for Curry in that seat, with the physical play+handchecking he wouldnt be able to do the things he does at the moment, he could have been like a peak Mark Price and at worst Mahmoud Abdul Rauf... he would still be damn good, but nothing like what you see today... Reggie would be dancing on roses in todays era, he would be on a relaxing vacation....
    Your praising for the players you love and bashing of their teammates is so damn annoying. Any of Reggie's teams that made some noise was well rounded. They weren't loaded, but they weren't Reggie & scrubs either.

That said Reggie had that extragear in him for the playoffs that some players simply don't have - some even shift down. That's why I think him being ringless is a bigger shame than Karl Malone.

Klay > Reggie Miller