Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ***the ultimate RINGs Guide*** ~ olympic style

What would you guys give

'05 Manu
    '08 KG
    '08 Pierce
    '16 Kyrie

Does anyone from the '04 Pistons get a gold?

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    i see there is still some confusion here , with regards to the question "which rings should count and which shouldn't?" in comparisons .. and in honor of the Olympics goin on right now.. i bring to ISH ring counting, olympic style ..

for career rankings only, titles w/ ..

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Gold[/COLOR] = superstar impact*
    [COLOR="SlateGray"]silver[/COLOR] = all star impact*
    [COLOR="Sienna"]bronze[/COLOR] = role player impact*

Gold medal is winner and each subsequent medal below tie breaker..

Russell - 11 Gold
    MJ - 6 Gold
    Magic - 5 Gold
    Kareem - 4 Gold, 2 silver
    Duncan - 4 gold, 1 silver
    Kobe - 4 Gold, 1 silver
    Shaq - 3 Gold, 1 silver
    Lebron - 3 Gold
    Bird - 3 Gold
    Wilt - 2 Gold

damn ... that actually looks like a solid list.
    what you say, ish

*superstar impact is defined as having a top 3 playoff run for the year in question. Making 1st team all nba (top 5 player) may also be acceptable, but restrictions apply. All star impact, is simply had you made the all star or 2nd/3rd all nba team and played at that level whilst winning in the playoffs, and role player impact is robert horry level.
    Excellent list. Although I would swap Lebron with Bird since Bird had a significantly better chance at winning "gold" in all his finals appearances vs 3/7 Lebron.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

KG was all nba first team, 3rd in MVP voting, the DPOY, led the Celtics in playoff scoring and rebounds...and 4th quarter scoring. Hard not to call that superstar impact. Though some still try.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    Excellent list. Although I would swap Lebron with Bird since Bird had a significantly better chance at winning "gold" in all his finals appearances vs 3/7 Lebron.
    LeBron never won a title with a Finals as bad as Bird's in '81

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s-celtics.html

Didn't even win FMVP

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    John Havlicek 7 seasons of his prime...playoff averages

24/9/4
    27/8/3
    26/9/8
    25/10/6
    27/8/6
    24/5/5
    27/6/6

4 of his 8 rings are in that stretch and for 3 of the other 4 rings he was a 17, 18, and 20 ppg player. Other season he was a rookie..and even then he was a 14/7 player who had 18 in game 7 to win a ring. He had 40/10/7 to close out the 68 finals. Hit big shots his whole career. He might well have 9 rings if not for getting hurt in 73 after leading the Celtics to 68 wins. He was at the top of his game. He set the still standing playoff record for made field goals that year when he dropped 54 on the Hawks. He was all D team 8 times...despite it not existing till he was 28 or 29.

He was coming off the bench to lead the team in scoring plenty of times as a rookie....was on his "Havlicek stole the ball!" heroics in I think his second or third year....was making playoff game winners already...and had 28/8/4 in the last game of his career:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vekb4RhplI

Hes one of those guys downplayed only by people who were not around to see him play...which is kinda sad. He had good numbers...but by all accounts was more respected than just about anyone in sports.

Just saying is all.
    that guy is probably severely underrated all time .. i know guys back then got lots of stats though, so maybe he wasnt always top 3 playoff performer or top 5 player in the league? dont know..

but its not perfect, just an idea

Too broad... Kobe's contribution to the 2002 title, for example, is several tiers behind LeBron's 2012, 2016 ones.. besides the fact that none of his runs touch those two, or he's also been almost always shit when they didn't win (when did he ever play well and it wasn't enough?), same cannot be said for 2009, 2014, 2015, or even 2010 LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Also, a "superstar impact" is seriously undermined by a teammate winning FMVP over said player

I have suggested a "Batman-Robin Meter" be implemented to get a better more accurate result

For instance;

LeBron has a 100% Batman Rating (3-3 FMVPs)

Kobe has a 60% Robin Rating (2-5 FMVPs)

Multiply Kobe's suggested 4 gold total by 0.6 for his Real World Total of 2.4 gold total
    lol wtf is this?
    bron stan destroyed another quality thread.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    What would you guys give
    '16 Kyrie

I would say kyrie this year has a moderate case for Gold run under the clause "top 3 player in the playoffs" .. as he clearly outplayed everyone from the East except his teammate bron, and then thoroughly dominated everyone from golden state.. WB and KD choked too hard while kyrie was too clutch for me to put them over him.

'05 Manu

manu imo has a slightly weaker case for Gold.. would be harder to make .. because his averages dont look that crazy.. but when you dig a little deeper, 124 ortg, 104 drtg, +20 ?? he doubled duncan in that.. was crazy clutch and did it against great competition. I'm really tempted to give him the Gold (w/ duncan of course) under top 3 player in playoffs article but its not a super strong case.

'08 KG

Definite Gold by every measure.

'08 Pierce

easy silver .. and another case study refuting the batman / robin theory.

Does anyone from the '04 Pistons get a gold?

this is hard, because you probably have to have KG, Shaq and Duncan as top 3 playoff performers, so its hard to make a case for big ben being top 3 in the playoffs impact wise and he just missed the cut for all NBA first team.. but he did..

Anchor the greatest defense of all time.
    Posted defensive rpm that were even better than KG / Timmy.
    Posted a drtg of 87.. seriously .. lowest ive ever come across.

according to the rules i cant give him a gold, just a strong silver, but it succks because if a guy like Steve Nash ever won a ring anchoring the greatest offense of all time, yall would easily give him a Gold, yet Ben does same thing on other side of the ball but nobody even acknowledges what he did.

it seems like the pistons players didnt really get the recognition they deserved until 2 years after they won a ring and year after b2b Finals when Rip, Chauncey, Sheed, and Big Ben all made the all star team at the same time .. the 04 team impact wise mightve had 4 silvers..