Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Hakeem/Lebron or Shaq/Wade or Duncan/Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Obviously, Shaq became more skilled as the seasons went by. The same can be said for virtually any all-time great. But I do find it fascinating the in many cases, players hit their "statistical primes" very early on. Kareem's came in his 2nd and 3rd seasons (his 2nd seasons numbers were less because he only played 40 mpg, compared to 44 mpg in '72.)

And it seems to follow suit with centers, more than other positions. Shaq's best statistical season may have been in his second season. Chamberlain's is a little tougher. He was actually MORE skilled early on, at least with more range. MJ's best statistical seasons were early in his career, as well.

Of course, you can find players who became better later...like Magic, Bird, and Hakeem. But even in their cases, the numbers didn't go up dramatically (and they usually involve a decline in other areas, too.) Magic put up some HUGE seasons, in terms of FG%, in the early to mid-80's.

And, I have also noticed that the all-time great rebounders, tend to have their best seasons very early in their careers, as well.

Having said that, most all-time greats tend to shoot on more efficiency later in their careers, too. But, that is usually accompanied by far less attempts, as well.
    Well, sometimes players put up big numbers early because they're on worse teams than later.

Either way, Shaq's 2000 season was also his best statistically. Career high in scoring, second highest rebounding season, career high in assists, and his second highest block season.

Jordan's 3 best statistical seasons were from '88-'90. I'd say his true prime started in the '89 season. The following year Phil took over and implemented the triangle which lowered his all around numbers slightly from the ball dominant role Doug Collins had him in, going from 33/8/8 to 34/7/6. Pretty similar numbers despite Jordan playing more off the ball in the triangle, while he played point guard for the last 24 games of the regular season and the playoffs in '89.

Jordan's 3 best years overall, not going by statistics, but level of play were '90-'92. His numbers dropped a little in '91 because the coaches made a real effort to get him some more rest that year, though he did start looking for his shot more early in games because of that. His numbers continued to drop in '92 because his team was much better than 2 or 3 years earlier with Pippen joining the NBA's elite and Horace Grant also improving noticeably.

Players usually enter their primes in their mid 20's, and they usually seem to peak at 27 or 28, sometimes a year or 2 out of that range either way. And most player's primes end around 30 or 31, but there are some exceptions like Malone, Hakeem and Kareem.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Teams would still double Hakeem. They just wouldn't double off of Lebron.

And those 2 players are good enough to be dangerous, but I just don't think it's as natural of a fit as the other 2. Both other two duos can play their games without being limited while playing together, but Lebron and Hakeem seem less natural to me. I don't see Duncan/Kobe and Shaq/Wade having to make any real adjustments to their game while playing together.

So I have to rank that duo 3rd in this hypothetical.
    Man I *** everytime this guy post, easily the best poster on here

DON'T FEED THE TROLL arifgokcen's Avatar

I would go with hakeem/lebron.Just too good to pass up.Even though shaq is the most dominant player of that group,lebron/hakeem duo is just too good offensively and defensively.Both of them are one of the best defensive and offensive players of their respective positions.

Without a doubt Hakeem/Lebron

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Umad101
    Man I *** everytime this guy post, easily the best poster on here
    I agree.