Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Has anyone ever noticed that Chris Mullin...

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I thought so. I'd only heard Chris Mullin talk at length back then during, like, NBA Superstars videos and I remember thinking it was one heckuva Brooklyn accent. Doesn't seem nearly as thick now.

Edit: Here's the NBA Superstars clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_kX6mQh8Yc
    Nice clip. I wish I got to see more of his pro career, but Warriors games were scare on the East Coast.

He's lived on the West Coast for a while and probably had broadcasting training. Did you read the Sports Illustrated article I linked to?

Can you imagine that article being written today?
    Chris (Mo) Mullin is just a guy from da naybuhhood. Da same as Joey and Mikey and Mo's big bruddah, Roddy, and all dose udder guys who talk like Vinnie Barbarino. Like, it's ridikilus how heavy-duty a naybuhhood guy Mullin is, and guys bust his chops about it all da time, but to tell da troot, it explains a lotta tings.

At 17 Mullin made a controversial decision to transfer from Power Memorial Academy in Manhattan to Xaverian High in Brooklyn, in part because he wanted to get back wit da guys from da naybuhhood. He chose St. John's University over the leafy groves of Duke and Virginia and, forgive him, Father, Notre Dame, because St. John's was a naybuhhood type of place. Like, da joint wasn't even in da naybuhhood; it was in Queens.

Mullin goes to Mass at St. Thomas Aquinas in da naybuhhood and drinks his beers at da Cuckoo's Nest in da naybuhhood. (But only in the off-season, right, Mo?) And before he goes to bed each night Mullin watches The Honey-mooners on TV, which is about some more heavy-duty naybuhhood guys. Bang-zoom! Right to da moon, Alice. Why, just last summer, after he had helped America win the gold medal in basketball at the Olympics, Mullin skipped out on breakfast with the President of the United States because he had to get back to da naybuhhood. Mullin didn't know it, but there was a block party waiting on his arrival home, and more than 500 people would show up from da naybuhhood. "I was lookin' forward to meet da President but he was, like, real late and I hadda plane to catch," Mullin says. "I hadda get back to Bruk-lun."
    I don't have a Brooklyn accent, but my wife says she every so often in comes out and there are some words you can notice it. Orange is one of them. My wife would get excited when some of the words I screamed when cut off in traffic would show up on the Sopranos a few weeks later.

Some of the guys I went to high school with would say things like "Trow th ball." Unfortunately it's dying out.

Learning to shoot layups SchoolRumble's Avatar

aww so cute; the first few posters were so sensitive :)

aint proved shit yet until i hear chris say fo shizzle my nizzle

Great college starter 50inchvertical's Avatar

He's from Brooklyn. Black or not, it's a very identifiable accent and overall swagger. I wouldn't really call it a black guy voice. And at people getting offended over something as insignificant as this and then replying with worst "racism." What jackasses this site attracts

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Nice clip. I wish I got to see more of his pro career, but Warriors games were scare on the East Coast.

He's lived on the West Coast for a while and probably had broadcasting training. Did you read the Sports Illustrated article I linked to?

Can you imagine that article being written today?

I don't have a Brooklyn accent, but my wife says she every so often in comes out and there are some words you can notice it. Orange is one of them. My wife would get excited when some of the words I screamed when cut off in traffic would show up on the Sopranos a few weeks later.

Some of the guys I went to high school with would say things like "Trow th ball." Unfortunately it's dying out.
    Ha, wow. No I didn't read your link initially. I must have glanced over it. I've only read the first page so far and already, I'm thinking Mr. Kirkpatrick must be awfully embarrassed about writing this article.