Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Which opposing player did you respect the most and why?

As a huge LeBron stan, I'm going with Kobe.. wish my favorite player had even a quarter of his the toughness, will to win and skills... LeBeta has disappointed me time and time again.. Speaking as again a HUGE stan of LeBrick.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Can't believe I forgot Shaq. Add him to my list.
    With Shaq when I got into watching ball in the early 90s, I remember with him it was always a given he'd be a yuge star and win lots of rings. He got selected to that 50 greatest at NBA at 50 without having won a ring. Lots of people were sore about it, but the level headed said it was only a question of time and it would look really dumb not to have him on in the future.

I think with Shaq, he actually dissapointed in his career. Young Shaq was a phenom, the hype was extreme, never had anyone seen play like Shaq at such a weight. Young Shaq moved so nimble and quick.

The criticism of Shaq in his early years about rapping, doing (bad) movies and spending too much time outside the game.

Was that why Shaq had his best defensive years and rebounding years in his first couple in Orlando?

Truth is Shaq should have had 14 rebound 3-4 blocks every year of his career.

He won with Lakers but took a marked decline in his defense and a marked incrase in weight.

When I think about who you respected with Shaq it isn't the fat Lakers Shaq beating up on old guys and weak centers, but the young beast Shaq who held his own against prime Hakeem. That young Shaq in those years had the potential to be GOAT.

Very good NBA starter

In no real order:

Dirk Nowitzki - tough competitor who had some severe down moments, also had some big games against 'my' spurs, but the way he bounced back post-2007, kept growing as a player, and improved his post game is respectable. Comparing his career to contemporay non-Duncan and KG power forwards, e.g., Brand, Boozer, Stoudemire, Gasol, etc., and it's impressive how much he's maintained impact as a loyal franchise player. Not a defensive stalwart or anything, but he's an easy player to root for and respect when it's all said and done.

2003-2005 Pistons - ok... this isn't a player as much is it is players... but I have a huge amount of respect for Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, Sheed, Ben Wallace, McDyess, and Larry Brown. It could be argued they played the best defense of the mid-2000s (Spurs I see as the only other choice) and the undrafted Wallace earned himself a few DPOY's and a championship in the process. The way they played as a team and collective was just great basketball.

Shaq, Kobe, and Phil Jackson - easily the best player/coach trio the Spurs ever faced and Spurs were both on the losing and winning end of the matchup. As much as I hated their personalities and selfish tendencies (and Phil Jackson's general hatred for the Spurs), there's no denying they were a force. Shaq was a bulldozer in the paint while Kobe was a scoring machine. From 2000 to 2002 the Spurs were never able to get over the lakers hump. Jackson is def one of the greatest coaches in NBA history. Without this trio I don't think the Spurs would be the Spurs we knew in 03 and beyond.

Honorable Mentions: Jordan, Hakeem & the Rockets, Kevin Garnett, Steve Nash, Lebron James, and Kevin Durant

Gone_Fishin
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Nash and Bird. Guys like Livingston and Hill.

I respect all NBA players though. The great ones, the shitty ones, the ones clearly unaware of how lucky they are. They were able do something I assume we all wanted to do at some point in our lives.

Nobody, until now. Curry

Damian Lillard
    The Spurs in general because they've been shitting on the Dubs for ages

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

I hated it at the time, but when Nash put up 32 and 13 against the Lakers in game 6 in 2006, essentially ending the series before an inevitable game 7 win, I had to respect him.

Dude was just a brilliant, brilliant offensive player in his prime.

Kobe and LeBron as well, obviously. Too bad people here would have you think you can only like one of them

Decent playground baller

Spurs fan:

Kobe

Dirk

Nash

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Duncan.

Kobe

I always hated the Lakers, especially when they had Shaq, but I respect him a lot now. The NBA is losing a real legend, thank god Curry stepped up to save the league

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Duncan.
    good call, another player I never cared for but respect a lot now

Not airballing my layups anymore

1. Hakeem
    2. Dirk
    3. K.G.

Hakeem Olajuwon.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Easily Duncan.

Not only does he own the Mavs, but he's absolutely deserving of respect.

Edit;

Watching SCdac try and complement Dirk is great comedy...he just can't really bring himself to do it.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 03-14-2016 at 08:53 PM.