Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The next nba star Andrew Wiggins' senior year mixtape

The three things you can take away from that mix (imo):

1) The guy just flat out jumps higher than most people. His normal leap going for a simple dunk is as high, if not higher, than most players exerting all their energy to try and poster someone. If you watched him play, he does it consistently throughout the entire game. There's no drop off from the opening minute to the last. His leaping ability is very impressive.

2) His second jump is unbelievably quick and, again, gets up unusually high. Seriously... Who gets up that high from a flatfooted standing jump after just landing? Go to 2:11. He misses a tip jam and then dunks his missed tip dunk attempt. That's incredible.

3) The quickness of his moves. The eurostep at :50, his spin move all over the video, his crossover (which needs tightening, but still). Particularly the eurostep. Remember that he's 6'7-6'8. His agility and body control is very good.

With him it's the potential of what he can become and the steady growth he's had since he's been a freshman in high school. Remember that he was once considered the top freshman, then the top sophomore, then the top junior before he reclassified only to become the top senior in a stacked high school class. That doesn't happen often. Players usually catch up athletically, or the guy on top doesn't progress like what you want to see, or the attention gets to his head, etc... Wiggins hasn't had any of those problems.

He's not LeBron and he's still pretty raw all around. Like I mentioned, he needs to work on his handle some and continue to improve his jumper. The improvement in his handle of the last year has been noticeable. We will see if the jumper ever comes around. At the very least I envision him to become an elite slasher at the NBA level. Which should buy him enough time to develop a respectable jump shot.

Tracy McGrady is probably the best comparison.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Hoiids's Avatar

inb4 he lied about his age and is 22

Quote Originally Posted by maybeshewill13
    How does he look anything like Durant from that video?

It's just a compilation of dunks.. impressive but nothing like the way Durant plays. [COLOR="White"]INB4 HURR YEAH NOT LIKE DURANT THERE WERE NO FREE THROWS!![/COLOR]
    So Durant doesn't dunk or has highlight dunks ?

And yeah, McGrady is a good comparison too. Need to see more of his passing game.

Just think guys it'll be two short years til he's in the nba and hated by at least half of y'all

Original ISH CLTHornet CLTHornets4eva's Avatar

I can't wait to see him in a UNC jersey next year...

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Just think guys it'll be two short years til he's in the nba and hated by at least half of y'all
    That would be like every other NBA superstar.

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

When the kid actually learns how to play basketball he'll be a force. Right now he is just relying on his superior genetics to bully weaker players. He has the superstar body at such a young age but can he become a good player?

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

/wouldtankfor

<3 LeBron <3 Heat <3 The Choken One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CLTHornets4eva
    I can't wait to see him in a UNC jersey next year...
    I think he's going to Kansas...but I wanna see him at Kentucky. Their team would be godlike if they brought in Wiggins along with the other 6 stars they got coming in, not to mention if any from the current team stay for some experience.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGang
    When the kid actually learns how to play basketball he'll be a force. Right now he is just relying on his superior genetics to bully weaker players. He has the superstar body at such a young age but can he become a good player?

he may suck in college but we all know that not all guys who played great in college = all star / superstar in nba...

but if i am to choose if anthony davis and wiggins were on the same draft based it on potential alone. id go with wiggins... the guy can play on both sides of the court right now .. he may not score 20ppg in college but am pretty sure he will be a atleast a decent defender.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

He should not have to go to College.

Local High School Star beau_boy04's Avatar

He should come to the chicago bulls and paired up with Derrick Rose and become the deadliest 1-2 punch in the Nba in few years.

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    totally true

its weird how it works like that.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Put this way, worst case is he maybe Rudy Gay? That's honestly better than we can say about any player in this year's draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
    Put this way, worst case is he maybe Rudy Gay? That's honestly better than we can say about any player in this year's draft.
    Doesn't have Rudy's jumper yet. Assuming his jumper does improve though, the Rudy Gay comparison isn't bad.

Best case scenario I do see a Durant/Wade Hybrid like Legends has said. He's got the length and jumper than elevates over others like Durant. He's also very quick with the ball like Durant. He doesn't hold onto the ball like others, but as soon as he gets it he makes a quick move, either jumper, drive, or pass. Also has quick post moves (though obviously very raw) like Wade, so again not holding onto the ball at all almost. With his length I also see him grabbing 7-8 rebounds throughout his career, while keeping his assists relatively low so a star (maybe at max 4-5) like Durant. He will finish at the rim over people with his length and vertical, and so far he's also pretty lanky like Durant, not as dominant physically as LeBron.

Like Wade he's very creative getting to the rim, using Euro steps, spin moves, hesitations etc. He could also be a very good shot blocker for shooting guard.

I don't like the McGrady comparison yet, because he hasn't shown the ridiculous range that Tmac had (not just making shots but creating shots out there. The 3s he hits are usually from a stand still position or catch and shoot, doesn't create from that far out like Tmac), nor does he have the extensive post game or playmaking of Tmac.

To me he's got the perimeter game of Durant and the slashing game of Wade, and his finishing is almost exactly in between them in terms of style.