Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Vertical

Decent playground baller

Default My Vertical

Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?

Dunking on everybody in the park LebrickJames84''s Avatar

Default Re: My Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer
    Im a bit above 5 foot 8 and if the highest i can reach when i jump is the backboard alittle bit above the padding. Is this good?
    depends how old you are really. Your looking at anywhere from a 25-30 inch vertical.

ISH Jump Crew

Not really. If you want to improve though just ask, or look through this section... tons of good information.

Decent playground baller

im in gr.10

Decent playground baller

I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

I can just touch above the grey part on the bottom of the backboard
    Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.

Dunking on everybody in the park LebrickJames84''s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
    Almost the same with me, except I can reach just a bit higher and I have an inch on you. Your vert is probably around 23-24 inches right now. I read somewhere that the average for guys my age (15) is actually 17, but these are for regular guys. Not necessarily athletes. However, if you're around 13 or 14 years old, then that's pretty good.

could be a rim with a lower backboard.

Good High School Starter Splitz77's Avatar

Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..

Quote Originally Posted by Splitz77
    Not really. My sophmore year i could touch the bottom of the rim. Now that im a senior, I can get about a good 5-6 inches above the rim..Just keep workin at it..you'll get a good vert sooner or later..
    can you dunk?

haha sounds EXACTLY like me back in 9/10th grade. i was like around 5'8 too @ 195-200lbs lol..

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LebrickJames84'

could be a rim with a lower backboard.
    Could be. From the pic, though, it seems pretty much like what I based mine on.

Decent playground baller

I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.

I'm about 5 foot 8, 110 pounds. I've never noticed that im not as athletic as others until this year cause people shorter than me can already touch rim.
    5'8 and touching glass is still a relatively good vertical, if the backboard has a high cutoff. (some backboards extend almost a foot below the rim)

Is it good? No... is it terrible? No. It's pretty average. As with everyone, it depends on your reach. If your reach stinks then you could be jumping high but not getting high on the rim because your reach is short.

but yea those guys with 17 inch verts are the guys who sit at home and play video games or guitar all day... they don't do anything to stimulate their muscles so there verts are terrible. Average running vert for a High School athlete is probably around 30 or so... standing probably like 26-27. A good athlete will be 35 or higher so shoot for that and hope you get higher.

it is important to practice your jumping and work on your vert. Focusing too much on the numbers and your exact vert wont matter if you cant take off from any angles.

I find a lot of times I never get up as high in games because I'll rarely get the perfect pass or my steps to taking off will be altered by the defense. Don't worry about how high you can jump on paper, but keep working on it. Quick jumps are important in game play as well as getting up as high as you can from any angle.