Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan 1997 Playoff Run

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Another great post, and great analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by catch24

Amazing post, TJ
    Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to say is...a talent like Michael Jordan only comes along every blue moon. I'm glad he broke the rules a bit and didn't always play the "right way" or at least the way most other successful players had to play to win. During that 3-4 year peak we saw some of the best guard play we're ever going to see because he broke the rules. Shooting over double teams, jump shots fading away from the basket (it's a bad shot unless you master it), driving to the hole challenging the interior defense, going all out on defense when he's the only real offensive threat on the team, scoring 30 points a game, developing a workout routine when everyone thought he'd lose his quickness advantage, etc all went against conventional wisdom. It was obvious he was good enough. He was making it up as he went along. Neo from The Matrix. You just have to ride that as long as you can.

The problem is that he was so good (to the Bulls, to the league and to the game of basketball) that we want another one. Now you have little copycat Picasso's breaking the rules without having the total package Jordan had. In our desire to create another Jordan, we don't realize that Jordan was an anomaly. Now every wing player wants to score 25+ points, feel the need to guard the opponents best player and always take the clutch shots at the end of the game or they "failed" or "aren't playing the way they should play". You're never going to get another Picasso. Just like in other fields, there are and will be other supremely talented basketball players but the next transcendent player won't play anything like Michael Jordan. Why? Because now the exception has become the rule. Rule = To be the best, you must play like Michael Jordan did. But as I explained to you, the next guy to grab our attention like Jordan did will know how to break the rule.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 07-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Lightbulb Re: Michael Jordan 1997 Playoff Run

Da Realist

NBA is now in post-modern era. Its impossible to produce another player-athlete of MJs calibre.

MJs was truly an anomaly. Even his NCAA career didnt predict what kind of monster he will develop into.

thus the 3rd pick overall after Hakeem & rightly so. But MJ goes on to beat Hakeem who himself had a damn good rookie yr for ROY honors

Remember the famous statement " a scoring leader cannot be a champ"

MJs fundamentals were off the charts thanks to dean smith & UNC program. He just cut loose right from the rookie year displaying his superathletic ability along with Magic, Bird like fundamentals.

NBA will never produce another Jordan. Its just impossible. It takes atleast 2 yrs of NCAA to understand this game & develop that court vision & Bball IQ.

Even if next true MJ is there. He'll skip NCAA & this will be his demise. & will run after quick millions he can make as an 18 yrs old rookie on a piss poor nba franchise.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    Thanks. I guess what I'm trying to say is...a talent like Michael Jordan only comes along every blue moon. I'm glad he broke the rules a bit and didn't always play the "right way" or at least the way most other successful players had to play to win. During that 3-4 year peak we saw some of the best guard play we're ever going to see because he broke the rules. Shooting over double teams, jump shots fading away from the basket (it's a bad shot unless you master it), driving to the hole challenging the interior defense, going all out on defense when he's the only real offensive threat on the team, scoring 30 points a game, developing a workout routine when everyone thought he'd lose his quickness advantage, etc all went against conventional wisdom. It was obvious he was good enough. He was making it up as he went along. Neo from The Matrix. You just have to ride that as long as you can.

The problem is that he was so good (to the Bulls, to the league and to the game of basketball) that we want another one. Now you have little copycat Picasso's breaking the rules without having the total package Jordan had. In our desire to create another Jordan, we don't realize that Jordan was an anomaly. Now every wing player wants to score 25+ points, feel the need to guard the opponents best player and always take the clutch shots at the end of the game or they "failed" or "aren't playing the way they should play". You're never going to get another Picasso. Just like in other fields, there are and will be other supremely talented basketball players but the next transcendent player won't play anything like Michael Jordan. Why? Because now the exception has become the rule. Rule = To be the best, you must play like Michael Jordan did. But as I explained to you, the next guy to grab our attention like Jordan did will know how to break the rule.

Great Post Da Realist.

I think what made Mike special, setting aside the athletic ability and everything, is that he knew specifically where the "kill points" were during a game, meaning he knew when to go for a steal, when to lay it up, or when to go for a dunk to demoralize a team.

It's so subtle these games within the game that you sometimes might miss them. One of the things I remember Jordan's dad saying is that he always knew how to "play possum", where it would look like he wasn't doing much, but when you look up, he's already got 20 pts, 4 rebounds, a block and 2 steals before the 1st half is even finished.

Only a few players have mastered the ability of knowing when to rely on teammates and win to take over a game. Jordan was simply the best at it. Re-watch game 6 during the 4th qtr of the 93 finals. NO ONE would accuse MJ of Ball Hogging, or "forcing the issue" during that game. Had that been the case he would've forced up the game's final shot, which he didn't do.

The Picasso analogy is a very fitting one for those who were rooting for, and against MJ back in the day. As I would say during the early 90s, Jordan was just "Too Good".

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Remember the famous statement " a scoring leader cannot be a champ"
    Isn't that generally true still? In the past decade how many times has team with the scoring champ won the championship as well?

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    Isn't that generally true still? In the past decade how many times has team with the scoring champ won the championship as well?
    Shaq was 1st in '00, 3rd in '01, 2nd in '02. Kobe was 3rd in '09 and 4th in '10. He Kobe had his '08-'10 team in '06 and '07, he might have been able to win both. Not like it matters, these guys are about winning.

Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Shaq was 1st in '00, 3rd in '01, 2nd in '02. Kobe was 3rd in '09 and 4th in '10. He Kobe had his '08-'10 team in '06 and '07, he might have been able to win both. Not like it matters, these guys are about winning
    So the answer is only once in last 10 years?

Quote Originally Posted by StarJordan
    So the answer is only once in last 10 years?
    Yessir.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    But there is a difference as a form of function. The 96-98 jordan maximized every aspect of basketball. Not just drive anf kick. Like what he did in the 91 finals. So sure the 11 assists were amazing. But just look at it this way, if jordan was that type of player, why did phil jackson have to implore him to continue to get the ball to paxson who was routinely being left open? That why you can't just solely look at stats. For what ever reason, the coach had to tell jordan to pass the friggn ball. Fortunately for us he did it. And he honestly probably could've done it on his own. But why do it if you didn't have to? And just to show how far jordan had come, remember the last play of the 97 finals. Jordan knew what utah was gonna do and told kerr to be ready. Sure he wasn't quite that player that just blew past and then rose over everybody. I just think he evolved to the point that he realized he didn't need to. Which is what I think you guys are missing.
    He was passing out of the post as early as 1990.

Here's a small sample from the 91 season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlq1Vh3RjwI

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

that was some defense being played in that vid

mike did his thing tho

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    He was passing out of the post as early as 1990.

Here's a small sample from the 91 season.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlq1Vh3RjwI
    I never said he didn't pass out of the post. I said he was much better basketball player. I agree he was more dominant earlier in his career, but as a fundamental basketball player, I feel he was better in the later stages of his career. Think of prime shaq as 91-93 jordan and prime olajuwan as 96-98 jordan.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    If the two were playing one on one sure the younger jordan would win. But on a basketball team, the older jordan was better. I think the problem is some of these jordan fans refuse to differentiate between the two. I loved the fact that jordan became a willing passer. I love that he trusted his teammates and had confidence in their abilities. And admonished them too. I just got the feeling that from 91-93 he really believed that he was the sole reason for the bulls success. Or better yet HAD to be the sole reason for their success. It seemed like the 96-98 version didn't need to be that deliberate offensively and allowed the game to come to him.
    You OBVIOUSLY never seen MJ prior to 1996...Please refrain from your ill-informed opinions of MJ. You're way the hell off.

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by BigBalla44
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Jjl9_ZDY4

Awesome video. It's like watching a senior citizen version of Kobe Bryant. Very cool story bro.
    But 1997 MJ had much better hand-eye coordination, skillset offensively & defensively with & without the ball than prime peak Kobe Bryant.

think of it this way.

1997 MJ is 150%-175% of prime peak Kobe.

Obviously that Percentage decreased in 1998 MJ.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Nice video. I forgot how much MJ used to palm the ball and use it to his advantage.

And why don't players today do it as much? Were his hands freakishly big for a perimeter player?

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Nice video. I forgot how much MJ used to palm the ball and use it to his advantage.

And why don't players today do it as much? Were his hands freakishly big for a perimeter player?

Lots of players can palm the ball, but you also need some silly grip strength to do what MJ did.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww2d_o0N62w

Here Jordan gets whacked on the arm and still finishes the facial dunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxnXqaNqPms

Here as well....He had huge, strong hands.

That was a freakin' basketball orgasm. The poise, eloquence, scoring arsenal, Basketball IQ, and raw basketball skill of Michael Jordan is too incredible. Well past his athletic/physical prime and still easily the most dominant player in the league. Incredible.

All at 34 years old.

Classic, thanks for sharing.