Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NBA close to new TV deals, will gain additional $1B in tv revenue per year...

Both Turner and ESPN are close to signing new deals (starting in 2016) which will be more than $1B each. Their current deals are both around $450M per year. So that (and only that, there will still be some new digital deals, etc.) will give each team an approximate $33M more per year which is another $16-17M in cap space increase. Note: There are other increases already coming for non tv revenue, so you are looking at a cap by 2016 that is $20M higher than now.

Total game changer. Gives teams like NY possible room for 2 more big players. Washington can sign Durant AND their players AND more. Cleveland will just pay Lebron the rest of the cap so **** them, but some of those free agent players (like Lakers) will have so much more cap space. OKC could bring in help for Durant but why do that when you can clip coupons and save money.

Those teams without good rosters but hoarding cap space (The Knicks Lebron strategy) will lose the advantage, because why would Durant go there and not to a team that actaully had a roster? Which now will be quite a few teams...

ISH's 1st Embiid Stan AboutBuckets's Avatar

Default Re: NBA close to new TV deals, will gain additional $1B in tv revenue per year...

Highly doubt Silver would approve a near-instantaneous 30% cap increase without restructuring the rest of the CBA, that would alter the landscape of the league in a way the current CBA is (hopelessly) trying to reverse. The big market teams would keep their (likely) overpaid players and get to sign even more? The league would literally go into ruins over the course of one generation of max contracts.

Default Re: NBA close to new TV deals, will gain additional $1B in tv revenue per year...

We knew this was coming. Silver isn't going to "stop it". That's the way CBA is structured. That's why Lebron didn't sign a 5 year contract...waiting for new TV deal to kick in.

I don't think it benefits big market teams THAT much....because all teams will participate in this new revenue stream...but sure, it will help big market teams somewhat...more room to work with in salary cap money.

LMAO at owners crying poverty a few years ago. The owners showed why they are smart businessmen and players/union look foolish. Owners played PR game perfectly with the media, "We owners is poor. We needs a profit." The money is rolling in. Sterling to $2 billion. Levenson will probably get at least a $1 billion in a bad market. "We poor." Fans are so stupid....and they think players are greedy.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    We knew this was coming. Silver isn't going to "stop it". That's the way CBA is structured. That's why Lebron didn't sign a 5 year contract...waiting for new TV deal to kick in.

I don't think it benefits big market teams THAT much....because all teams will participate in this new revenue stream...but sure, it will help big market teams somewhat...more room to work with in salary cap money.

LMAO at owners crying poverty a few years ago. The owners showed why they are smart businessmen and players/union look foolish. Owners played PR game perfectly with the media, "We owners is poor. We needs a profit." The money is rolling in. Sterling to $2 billion. Levenson will probably get at least a $1 billion in a bad market. "We poor." Fans are so stupid....and they think players are greedy.
    Players are not has business savy. Their is a reason they are billionaires.

The main thing this means is an increase to salaries, not just cap room

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    The main thing this means is an increase to salaries, not just cap room
    lol OP is a dumb fakkit

why you think Lebron is on a 2 yr deal? He gonna sign for 30mil+ a year once the new contract kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred

Billy Hunter got owned by Adam Silver.

There is no way Silver can prevent the cap increase, the formula is set and cannot be changed without the players agreeing to it (the players association signing off). Considering the league is threatening a lock out the year after, good luck getting the players to give back unless the league gives them soemthing first.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    There is no way Silver can prevent the cap increase, the formula is set and cannot be changed without the players agreeing to it (the players association signing off). Considering the league is threatening a lock out the year after, good luck getting the players to give back unless the league gives them soemthing first.

Lockout for what?
    What's their problem now?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    lol OP is a dumb fakkit

why you think Lebron is on a 2 yr deal? He gonna sign for 30mil+ a year once the new contract kicks in.
    Bingo.

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    You're an idiot. That cap space will go to players wages as the gradually all sign new contracts, it will all stay relevant as it is now, just everyone getting payed more.

here comes another lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    You're an idiot. That cap space will go to players wages as the gradually all sign new contracts, it will all stay relevant as it is now, just everyone getting payed more.
    Two things.
    1) It's paid. You can't spell paid?
    2) I have no clue what your point is, nor do i even think you disagreed with me. You just have shitty reading comprehension.

Someone said the league won't allow the cap increase, that's not an option, I responded. What you are talking about is beyond me.

50% of revenue goes to player salaries in the form of the salary cap. That's just how it works. You can't say "well the league will do a,b, or c". This isn't a choice, the money comes in, it goes to the cap. If revenue goes up $1B in a year, each team's cap goes up $16/$17M that year.

Everyone understands the increase is every year going forward and not a 1 time payment, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    lol OP is a dumb fakkit

Max salaries are locked as a pct of the cap. Lebron can't get the entire amount. He'll just get a pct of a higher cap. So teams will still have cap space.

Contracts will not retroactively increase, again that's something that would need to be negotiated.

Because people don't understand cap rules don't get pissed at me, go get your GED and all the basic math will make more sense.