Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1990 Voting

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Inside Hoops Hall of Fame Project[/FONT]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is for the voting on the class of 1990.

You may make your own list or Copy and Paste the Ballot Below and bold the names of the players you want to vote into our Hall of Fame.

You can vote for up to ten players, but don't need to vote for any.

Base your selections and arguments on a players pro career (not just NB, but all pro leagues) as well as AAU (pre-1970), International and Olympic play. Do not consider a players impact off the court as that will be addressed when we vote in pioneers and contributors.

Feel free to include any arguments you want to make on behalf of any of the players or against any of the players.

Also this is the time to nominate any players I have not listed that were retired before 1990. If you do nominate a player please include a 2-4 sentence profile as I have done for other nominees. (I'll edit or add if need be)

Anyone who is not yet involved in the project may participate in this round as well, please check in within this thread or via PM to me and I'll add you too our roster.

Players eligible for the first time

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Sky Hook.

Julius Erving - Only doctor I know with an NBA MVP trophy.

George Gervin - The Iceman won four scoring titles, was named to five all-NBA first teams, seven in total and averaged 26-6-3-1 over 12 prime seasons.

Artis Gilmore - 1972 ABA rookie of the year and MVP. 1975 ABA playoff MVP on Championship winning Kentucky Colonels. In 5 ABA seasons made 5 all-ABA 1st teams, 5 all-star teams. made six more NBA all-star teams.

Dan Issel - 6x ABA all-star, 5x all-ABA, second leading scorer on ABA history. 13 prime seasons (7 NBA) of 23-10-3-1 as top perimeter shooting big man of his day.

Bobby Jones - Defensive standout and sixth man extraordinaire for the 1983 Champion Sixers. 5x all-star, 11x all-defensive first team in first 11 seasons. 9 NBA, 2 ABA

Maurice Lucas - 2nd best player on 1977 NBA Champions; leading scorer, second leading rebounder. 17-10-3-1 over 9 prime seasons; 5x all-star 1x all-NBA 2x all-defense

Bob McAdoo - 1975 MVP, 3x scoring champion, 28-12-3-2 over seven prime seasons; 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, won two titles with Lakers later in career including playing pivitol sixth man role in 1982.

Norm Nixon - 2x all-star; 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1985 Champions 17-3-9-2 over seven prime seasons

Ralph Sampson - 1983 Rookie of the year teamed with Olajuwon to led Houston to 1986 NBA Finals. 21-11-3-1-2 in three prime seasons.

Bill Walton - 1978 MVP; 1977 Finals MVP on World Champion Blazers. 1986 Sixth man of the year on World Champion Celtics. Injured pretty much every other season.

Jamaal Wilkes - 1975 rookie of the year and 2nd best player on world Champion Warriors. 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1982 NBA Champions. Versatile two-way forward 3x all-star, 2x all-defense

Gus Williams - Leading scorer and arguably best player on 1979 Champion Sonics. 1981 all-NBA first team, 2x all-star, 1x all-nba 2nd team. 20-3-6-2 in 7 prime seasons.

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous classes

David Thompson
    Bob Lanier
    Neil Johnston
    Sergei Belov
    Gus Johnson
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis

Player Elected Thus Far

Tiny Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Rick Barry (unanimous)
    Elgin Baylor (unanimous)
    Wilt Chamberlain (unanimous)
    Bob Cousy (unanimous)
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Mel Daniels
    Bob Davies
    Dave Debusschere
    Walt Frazier (unanimous)
    Joe Fulks
    Hal Greer
    John Havlicek (unanimous)
    Connie Hawkins
    Elvin Hayes
    Tom Heinsohn
    Sam Jones (unanimous)
    Jerry Lucas
    Ed Macauley
    Pete Maravich
    Bobby McDermott
    George Mikan (unanimous)
    Earl Monroe
    Bob Pettit (unanimous)
    Willis Reed (unanimous)
    Oscar Robertson (unanimous)
    Bill Russell (unanimous)
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Shaman
    Maurice Stokes
    Nate Thurmond
    Westley Unseld (unanimous)
    Jerry West (unanimous)

Committee Members

G.O.A.T - 30's - Pistons/General
    L. Kizzle - 20's - Rockets
    Gotterdammerung - 30's - Rockets/General
    MP.Trey - 20's - Cavs
    WillC -
    kshutts1 - 30's - Bulls/Lakers
    dankok8 - Raptors
    Fpliii - 20's - Lakers/Knicks
    magnax1 - 20's - Jazz
    JohnFreeman - 20's - Kings

gts -
    SexSymbol - 20's - Lakers/Bobcats
    hangintheair - 20's - Hornets
    riseagainst -
    nightprowler10 - 30's - Bulls
    Jlip -
    Smook A. -
    longhornfan1234 - 20's - Spurs
    bballnoob1192 - 20's - Lakers
    Arbitrary Water -

Bold = Has Voted
    Italics = Active

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Voting Results so Far

11 ballots cast

(11) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    (11) Julius Erving
    (11) George Gervin
    (10) Bill Walton
    (10) Bob McAdoo
    (10) Artis Gilmore
    (6) Bobby Jones
    (5) Lenny Wilkens
    (5) Sergi Belov
    (4) David Thompson
    (4) Neil Johnston
    (3) George McGinnis
    (3) Dan Issel
    (3) Bob Lanier
    (2) Dave Bing
    (1) George McGinnis
    (2) Gus Johnson

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by G.O.A.T; 09-06-2014 at 02:09 PM.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Default Re: ISH Hall of Fame Project: Class of 1990 Voting

Erving
    Jabbar
    Walton

^ you've been very strict with your selections, what are you looking for to make you decide on who you elect?

Who have made for the hardest decisions for you so far?

George Gervin is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    This isn't geared toward you, just this photo. Scary Movie came out in the year 2000.

Thanks for catching the gervin miss, did it before bed last night, as for the image, 1990 was surprisingly the hardest year to find an image for.

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    ^ you've been very strict with your selections, what are you looking for to make you decide on who you elect?

Who have made for the hardest decisions for you so far?
    I am the eye test voter of this board haha

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Serious case for GOAT. Easiest vote yet.

Julius Erving - Not just a dunker. One of the most innovative players and talented scorers this game has seen. He gets in for the afro alone.

Bill Walton - Pulling the Maurice Stokes card and saying "f*ck longevity". He had everything you could ever want in a Center. Leadership, Great outlet passing ability off the boards as well as in the halfcourt, tenacious rebounding, he was a defensive anchor and led the league in blocks AND rebounds in 77. Didn't have the post moves of a Hakeem or a McHAle but he had an efficient low post game and could take over the game for stretches if/when he needed. The Blazers from 76-78 were 109-37 with Walton and 14-31 without him. Tell me he doesn't deserve a HOF bid. Shame injuries derailed him but he was still able to play a pivotal role on the Celts well into his thirties.

Bob McAdoo - 1975 MVP, 3x scoring champion, 28-12-3-2 over seven prime seasons; 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, won two titles with Lakers later in career including playing pivitol sixth man role in 1982. Very talented scorer, big man with a deadly jumper. Pretty much the prototype for the oh so common stretch 4 that we see today.

Artis Gilmore - 1972 ABA rookie of the year and MVP. 1975 ABA playoff MVP on Championship winning Kentucky Colonels. In 5 ABA seasons made 5 all-ABA 1st teams, 5 all-star teams. made six more NBA all-star teams. Very strong. Very athletic. Great on the boards and came up huge in many playoff series. Also, I'm voting for the fro.

George "The Iceman" Gervin - Probably the smoothest scorer in the history of the game. Trademarked the finger-roll. 12x All-Star, 7x All-NBA, shame he never got any real playoff success.

Bobby Jones - Cut from the same cloth as Dave Debusschere. Defensive standout and sixth man extraordinaire for the 1983 Champion Sixers. 5x all-star, 11x all-defensive first team in first 11 seasons. 9 NBA, 2 ABA.

Sergei Belov - Best player, main scorer and main reason the USSR was able to beat USA and win the 1972 Gold Medal at the Olympics. 3x Bronze medal as big time impact player. 11x USSR league champion, 2x USSR Cup champion, 2x Euroleague champion. 2x World Cup champion 4x Eurobasket champion. Eurobasket MVP. Voted #1 on FIBA's top 50 player list made in 1991. Above names like Drazen Petrovic, Arvydas Sabonis, Toni Kukoc, Niko Galis & Oscar Schmidt.

That's 8 votes. Will edit in 2 more when I decide between many players like Johnston, Lanier, Thompson, Issel & Gus, etc.

Julius Erving
    - Only doctor I know with an NBA MVP trophy.

George Gervin
    - The Iceman won four scoring titles, was named to five all-NBA first teams, seven in total and averaged 26-6-3-1 over 12 prime seasons.

Artis Gilmore
    - 1972 ABA rookie of the year and MVP. 1975 ABA playoff MVP on Championship winning Kentucky Colonels. In 5 ABA seasons made 5 all-ABA 1st teams, 5 all-star teams. made six more NBA all-star teams.

Dan Issel
    - 6x ABA all-star, 5x all-ABA, second leading scorer on ABA history. 13 prime seasons (7 NBA) of 23-10-3-1 as top perimeter shooting big man of his day.

Bobby Jones
    - Defensive standout and sixth man extraordinaire for the 1983 Champion Sixers. 5x all-star, 11x all-defensive first team in first 11 seasons. 9 NBA, 2 ABA

Maurice Lucas - 2nd best player on 1977 NBA Champions; leading scorer, second leading rebounder. 17-10-3-1 over 9 prime seasons; 5x all-star 1x all-NBA 2x all-defense

Bob McAdoo
    - 1975 MVP, 3x scoring champion, 28-12-3-2 over seven prime seasons; 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, won two titles with Lakers later in career including playing pivitol sixth man role in 1982.

Norm Nixon - 2x all-star; 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1985 Champions 17-3-9-2 over seven prime seasons

Ralph Sampson - 1983 Rookie of the year teamed with Olajuwon to led Houston to 1986 NBA Finals. 21-11-3-1-2 in three prime seasons.

Bill Walton - 1978 MVP; 1977 Finals MVP on World Champion Blazers. 1986 Sixth man of the year on World Champion Celtics. Injured pretty much every other season.

Jamaal Wilkes - 1975 rookie of the year and 2nd best player on world Champion Warriors. 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1982 NBA Champions. Versatile two-way forward 3x all-star, 2x all-defense

Gus Williams - Leading scorer and arguably best player on 1979 Champion Sonics. 1981 all-NBA first team, 2x all-star, 1x all-nba 2nd team. 20-3-6-2 in 7 prime seasons.

David Thompson
    Bob Lanier
    Neil Johnston
    Sergei Belov
    Gus Johnson
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis

First Ballot:
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar. You could argue his prime lasted 20 years.

Doctor J. The most unstoppable finisher of all time.
    Iceman. The sweatless unstoppable scoring machine.
    Bill Walton. The most injured Hall of Fame talent.
    Bob McAdoo. Underrated scoring machine that was 40 years ahead of the times.

Second Ballot
    Bobby Jones.
    Dan Issel.
    David Thompson.
    Lenny Wilkens.

ETA:
    I can't believe I forgot the A-Train.
    Second ballot.

That brings my total to 10
    Last edited by Gotterdammerung; 09-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.

Default Goat Vote

@ SexSymbol

You can only vote for ten players. You have 12.

Great Class at the top and between the second tier guys here and the carry overs, a lot of interesting choices.

These guys are locks

MVPs, All-NBA's, Champions and the best at what they did.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Julius Erving
    George Gervin
    Artis Gilmore
    Bill Walton
    Bob McAdoo

These guys warrant serious consideration
    Sergei Belov
    Bob Lanier
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Gus Johnson

These guys could be but not based on our precedent
    Dan Issel
    Bobby Jones
    Maurice Lucas
    Neil Johnston
    Jamaal Wilkes
    David Thompson

I'll cast votes for the first six, Wilkens and Belov for sure. I'll use my other two strategically based on what others do.

Players eligible for the first time

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Sky Hook. Lock.

Julius Erving - Only doctor I know with an NBA MVP trophy. Lock.

George Gervin - The Iceman won four scoring titles, was named to five all-NBA first teams, seven in total and averaged 26-6-3-1 over 12 prime seasons. Lock.

Artis Gilmore - 1972 ABA rookie of the year and MVP. 1975 ABA playoff MVP on Championship winning Kentucky Colonels. In 5 ABA seasons made 5 all-ABA 1st teams, 5 all-star teams. made six more NBA all-star teams. Almost a lock. I don't value ABA as much as most but he still was a very good player for 8-9 years in the NBA. Physically dominant center to the extreme just seemed to lack motivation at times.

Dan Issel - 6x ABA all-star, 5x all-ABA, second leading scorer on ABA history. 13 prime seasons (7 NBA) of 23-10-3-1 as top perimeter shooting big man of his day. Nope. Not much done in the NBA. A shooting big man who's soft inside ala prime Rashard Lewis.

Bobby Jones - Defensive standout and sixth man extraordinaire for the 1983 Champion Sixers. 5x all-star, 11x all-defensive first team in first 11 seasons. 9 NBA, 2 ABA Not a slam dunk but he was such a defensive stalwart, one of the GOAT defenders at his position if not the best. Excellent rebounder, passer, and could also throw down some mean dunks. Crazy athletic for a "white guy".

Maurice Lucas - 2nd best player on 1977 NBA Champions; leading scorer, second leading rebounder. 17-10-3-1 over 9 prime seasons; 5x all-star 1x all-NBA 2x all-defense Nope.

Bob McAdoo - 1975 MVP, 3x scoring champion, 28-12-3-2 over seven prime seasons; 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, won two titles with Lakers later in career including playing pivitol sixth man role in 1982. Lock. Quite honestly a top 50 player as well and his omission in 1997 was a disgrace. His 3-year peak is just monstrous and despite his lack of longevity he had 6-7 elite years. His role on those two Showtime title teams was pretty significant as well.

Norm Nixon - 2x all-star; 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1985 Champions 17-3-9-2 over seven prime seasons Nah... 2x all-star, just not that caliber of player.

Ralph Sampson - 1983 Rookie of the year teamed with Olajuwon to led Houston to 1986 NBA Finals. 21-11-3-1-2 in three prime seasons. NBA career way too short.

Bill Walton - 1978 MVP; 1977 Finals MVP on World Champion Blazers. 1986 Sixth man of the year on World Champion Celtics. Injured pretty much every other season. I value longevity a lot but I give Walton the nod because he was just so transcendent in his 1.5-year peak. Many observers called him the best center they ever saw. That's good enough to make the HOF to me.

Jamaal Wilkes - 1975 rookie of the year and 2nd best player on world Champion Warriors. 3rd/4th best player on 1980 and 1982 NBA Champions. Versatile two-way forward 3x all-star, 2x all-defense Nah... same as Nixon just not great enough.

Gus Williams - Leading scorer and arguably best player on 1979 Champion Sonics. 1981 all-NBA first team, 2x all-star, 1x all-nba 2nd team. 20-3-6-2 in 7 prime seasons. I'll listen if someone makes an argument for Gus. He played simply spectacular in the 1979 playoffs and it's hard to ignore. I decided to leave him off because consistency matters. His season numbers are pedestrian and just 2x all-star ==> not HOF.

Players still eligible after receiving multiple votes in the previous classes

David Thompson
    Bob Lanier - 10 years of 20/10 or close to that and on good efficiency; epitome of consistency
    Neil Johnston - explained it before many times
    Sergei Belov
    Gus Johnson
    Lenny Wilkens - I kind of overlooked him. He had a pretty great career for that era.
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis
    Last edited by dankok8; 09-04-2014 at 06:47 PM.

sid someone just call Dan Issel soft?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Lew Alcindor.

Julius Erving - Smooth operator.

George Gervin - The Iceman.

Artis Gilmore - 2nd best afro in front of Dr. J and Kenon but behind Darnell Hillman.

Dan Issel - Was a tough shooting big man in the 70s and 80s.

Bobby Jones - Great defender for the ABA and the NBA.

Maurice Lucas - A mold for the modern day enforcer. Did I say modern day, I mean 1990s ... haven't had an enforcer in the league in a while. The Oakleys, Buck Williams, X-Mans, Rodmans, Laimbeers, Mahorns, PJ Browns of the world are gone.

Bob McAdoo - Maybe the first center with range.

Norm Nixon - Was a top guards in the early 80s. But was he closer to the Otis Birdsongs and Micheal Rays rather than the Magics and Isiahs?

Ralph Sampson - Hit the greatest shot ever in 1986 to beat the Lakers.

Bill Walton - I think he smoked weed with Alice Cooper.

Jamaal Wilkes - The Bob Dandridge of this class, will it be enough to get him in ...

Gus Williams - See Norm Nixon.

David Thompson
    Bob Lanier
    Neil Johnston
    Sergei Belov
    Gus Johnson
    Lenny Wilkens
    Dave Bing
    George McGinnis

Banned

Julius Erving - Only doctor I know with an NBA MVP trophy.

George Gervin - The Iceman won four scoring titles, was named to five all-NBA first teams, seven in total and averaged 26-6-3-1 over 12 prime seasons.

Artis Gilmore - 1972 ABA rookie of the year and MVP. 1975 ABA playoff MVP on Championship winning Kentucky Colonels. In 5 ABA seasons made 5 all-ABA 1st teams, 5 all-star teams. made six more NBA all-star teams.

Bob McAdoo - 1975 MVP, 3x scoring champion, 28-12-3-2 over seven prime seasons; 5x all-star, 2x all-NBA, won two titles with Lakers later in career including playing pivitol sixth man role in 1982.

David Thompson

Neil Johnston

George McGinnis

I'm iffy on Issell. I could be convinced.
    Honestly, not in love with Walton when he only played 2 all NBA seasons, but he was an MVP, so that's enough for me.