Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Off-season

"During my career I have worked with many great coaches. I am very pleased that I will have the opportunity to work with Messina" - said Kirilenko. rsport.ru

"Now I have a valid contract with CSKA, and until July 10 it's unlikely I'll be able to tell you anything new about whether I'll go to the NBA or not," Kirilenko said. rsport.ru

Brian T. Smith: Ex-Jazz PG and D-League callup Blake Ahearn is an option for Jazz's #NBA Summer League team. Ahearn's interested, open to the opportunity. Twitter

The Jazz are attempting to hold at least two more player workouts in Salt Lake City prior to the 2012 NBA Draft, which is scheduled June 28 in Newark, N.J.

Utah holds the No. 47 overall selection in the draft.

The organization is still in the process of finalizing details for its planned workouts, and the fact Utah isn't drafting until midway through the second round has somewhat tied its hands. Many NBA agents intentionally overvalue their clients during the buildup to the draft, and some are reluctant to allow their athletes to work out for a team that doesn't have a first-round pick.

With just 10 days remaining before draft day, Utah's only held one workout in SLC. The Jazz watched six players last Saturday, and Missouri guard Kim English was the only athlete expected to be drafted by the end of the second round.

Utah's next workout could occur by Friday. Yale center Greg Mangano and Mississippi State point guard Dee Bost have drawn interest from the Jazz and could be included in a future session.
    Better not take a center unless he's going to be stashed away overseas. Sounds like Bost can score and pass out of the pick and roll.

[QUOTE]Utah is prepared to move up in the draft and acquire a first-round pick if a favorable deal is presented. However, a draft some said could be the league's best since 2003

Evans' preference is to stay put. The Jazz drafted him in the second round two years ago as an unheralded player out of Western Kentucky, and he's put on a dazzling display of athleticism and energy in his rare playing opportunities. Deseret News

"I'd love to be back with the Jazz," Evans said. "Hopefully, I'm around for the future

Once free agency starts, Paul Millsap will attempt to negotiate a contract extension with the #UtahJazz. If a deal can't be reached, a variety of options will be explored. The only thing that'll change this is if Millsap is traded before free agency begins July 1. The veteran power forward wants to continue his career with Utah and hopes he can find middle ground with the Jazz. Sulia
    Should be at the top of their list.

Josh Howard interested interested in re-signing with #UtahJazz as #NBA free agency approaches Read more › Sulia

Howard has fully recovered from midseason arthroscopic left knee surgery, and he's eyeing a multiyear deal after proving himself in SLC via a one-year contract. "I'm feeling pretty good. I took about a month off and some change, and just got back to it," said Howard, who'll be an unrestricted free agent July 1. "I'm just staying focused. For me, the season ended the way I wanted it to, ultimately. It kind of let me know I was over the hump for my injuries and I was able to get back and help my team as much as possible." Salt Lake Tribune

"I'm still interested in the Jazz. They gave me the opportunity, so that's my loyalty to them, to see what they're going to say," said Howard, who acknowledged Utah met his expectations last season after signing a one-year deal for $2.1 million via the midlevel exception. "But as far as being a free agent and being around the league for a while, I'll have to weigh my options and decide what's best for me at the end of the day." Salt Lake Tribune

Brian T. Smith: Whether Lillard's taken before No. 8 will likely impact any attempt made by Jazz to move up in first round of ‪#NBA‬ draft and select him. Twitter

The Utah Jazz will host Round 2 of their pre-draft workouts on Friday, with six players attending this tryout session at the team's practice facility.

The invited participants include Mississippi State guard Dee Bost (6-2, 176), Alabama forward JaMychal Green (6-8, 228), Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine (6-2, 190), Marquette guard Darius Johnson-Odom (6-2, 215), Iona guard Scott Machado (6-1, 180) and Northwestern forward John Shurna (6-9, 215).
    Machado might be a good fit. Can pass and shoot and run the break. Needs help with his half court game, Maybe some time with Stockton?

The Jazz will work out 12 more players on Saturday morning.

The list includes Bowie State center-forward Travis Hyman, French guard Travis Lacombe, Alabama-Huntsville guard Josh Maggette, Yale center Greg Mangano, Maryland guard Terrell Stoglin and Memphis guard-forward Wesley Witherspoon.

Also included will be LSU center Justin Hamilton, Oakland guard Reggie Hamilton, center Negueba Samake from the Republic of Mali, center Greg Somogyi of UC-Santa Barbara, Long Beach State guard Casper Ware and forward Tomislav Zubcic from Croatia.
    Stoglin sounds like he can shoot and score. More of an undersized shooting guard that was suspended next year if he hadn't went pro. Doesn't sound like their guy.

Hamilton likes to shoot 3's but not very efficient. Not their guy I'd think either.

Ware sounds pretty good. Can shoot deep and midrange. Fast and athletic. Can run the pick and roll. Very short.

With the draft fast approaching, Utah is exploring every option, despite being quiet on the trade front.

The Jazz have the pieces to move into the first round, if needed. They also have a logjam in the frontcourt that sorely needs to be addressed.

And they also have history, having once moved up to take Deron Williams.
    What does it all mean? Could be nothing. Or it could mean a blockbuster deal when least expected.

"Just because we're quiet doesn't mean we're not working," Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor said. "We've been talking to people, and if something comes to fruition, it usually comes on draft day. If that were to happen, it's got to improve our team."

Utah has attractive talent, mainly Paul Millsap, who is one of the better power forwards in the league, and who has a relatively cheap contract.
    The Jazz also have a need to find starting minutes for Derrick Favors, who came on strong at the end of his second season.

O'Connor, when asked, stressed that nobody on the roster is "untouchable", if the right offer were to come along.

"When you look at Shaquille O'Neal, and Wilt Chamberlain, those guys were traded," O'Connor said. "If those guys can get traded, nobody is untouchable. We have talent at every position. But we're also trying to improve our team."
    Tony Jones
    Can't see trading Millsap unless it's for the top pick. LOL!

Jazz General Manager Kevin O'Connor confirmed to the Salt Lake Tribune on Saturday morning that the organization indeed has a team option on small forward DeMarre Carroll, an option the Jazz are still deciding on.
    There had been some confusion on this issue. But Carroll emerged from his exit interview with the team confident that he will remain with the organization for next season.

"He should be confident," O'Connor said. "He did a lot of good things for us this year. He hustled, he played defense and he provided a spark."
    The Jazz have until June 30th to decide their team option on back-up point guard Jamaal Tinsley. It is believed that Utah has to make a decision on Carroll the same day.

O'Connor, when asked, only said that the day is "coming", in refrence to the decision on Carroll. He added that he liked what both players accomplished in their roles this past season.

Tinsley's fate may be affected by next Thursday's NBA Draft. If the Jazz take a point guard with their second round pick, Tinsley's chances of staying with the organization would significantly drop.

"Jamaal is a pure point guard and he can run a team," O'Connor said. "He was valuable for us this season."

Carroll spent time in the starting lineup this past season, carving a role as a glue guy who didn't need shots to be effective. He came off the bench when Ty Corbin went to his three-big lineup, featuring Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors. Still, he made an impact this season, and proved to a large degree that he is capable of playing in the NBA.
    Tony Jones
    Unless they make a trade for another vet pg gotta keep Tinsley and Carroll I'd think. Harris, Watson, Bell, CJ are the ones that need to go.

The NBA collective bargaining agreement (“CBA”) that was approved last December contains a few new terms that will directly impact any extension given to Millsap this offseason. First, under the new CBA, veteran extensions are limited to four seasons (including the remaining years on a player’s current contract). Millsap has 1 year remaining on his current deal for approximately $8.6 million. Accordingly, after July 1st, the Jazz will only be able to add a maximum of 3 additional years onto the end of his contract and lock him up through the 2015-16 season.

Second, as a player with 6 years experience in the NBA, the Jazz are limited to giving him a maximum salary that is no more than 25% of the total salary cap. While this number has not yet been calculated for the following league year, most prognosticators estimate the NBA salary cap will be flat for the next few upcoming seasons and end up around $58m. Thus Millsap’s maximum starting salary for an extension would be around $14.5m.

Third, the amount of raises a team can give its own “bird rights” free agents is now only 7.5% versus 10.5% under the previous CBA. Add it all up and the largest extension the Jazz could give Millsap is 3 years and $46.76m (note: this number is only an approximation based on assumptions of the upcoming salary cap and could fluctuate by a few million depending on a number of factors including league wide revenues). Add the projected 3 year salary to his current contract and the Jazz could have Millsap locked up for 4 years (through 2015-16) at $55.36m, for an average of $13.85m a year.
    Hopefully he'll take 10-12.

What is Millsap Worth on the Open Market?

The Jazz would have to question whether Millsap is worth a full maximum extension and a total of 4 years at $55.36m in salary. In order to determine what the NBA market would bear, it helps to look at some comparable players who have signed recent contracts or contract extensions.

what the NBA market would bear, it helps to look at some comparable players who have signed recent contracts or contract extensions.

Zach Randolph. (4 years, $66m with 4th year Player Option, signed in 2011-12). Randolph is a better player than Millsap, but probably not by as much as the consensus opinion thinks. Randolph has averaged 17 ppg and 9 rpg for his career, while Millsap has only averaged 12 ppg and 7 rpg. As a starter though Millsap has averaged 17 ppg and 8 rpg over the past 2 seasons, which is fairly comparable to Randolph. Additionally, Millsap is four years younger and does not have the “head case” reputation that Randolph carries with him.
    Not sure Randolph would be better for the Jazz though. He's more comparable to Mr. I concede the series to the next World Champs.

David West. (2 years, $20m, signed in 2011-12). Last year West left New Orleans to sign as an unrestricted free agent with the Pacers. He was also coming off a significant knee injury. Many teams appeared to be concerned on whether West could return to full health in 2011-12 and whether he could return to his previous form. West’s career averages are 16 ppg and 7 rpg, which is in Millsap’s ball park. West is also considered a slightly undersized power forward (like Millsap) and is nearly 5 years older than Millsap is.
    He's a pretty good comparison if you look at his last contract which I think was actually fairly low like Paul's.

Marc Gasol. (4 years, $57m, signed in 2011-12). Gasol is not the same type of player that Millsap is, but they do put up fairly comparable stat lines. Gasol has averaged 13.1 ppg and 8.1 rpg and was coming off of a 12 ppg, 7 rpg season when he signed his contract extension last year. Gasol is almost the same exact age as Millsap is. Based on the history of the NBA overpaying centers, Gasol likely received a contract premium based on the fact that he measures 7 feet tall.

Based on these contracts and a few others, it is fair to say that Millsap will at least average $10m a season in his next contract. He has relative youth on his size and the next 4 years should be the prime of his career. Additionally, while he may not do any one thing great he is a durable and efficient player with a 2011-12 PER of 21.85. I’d suspect that if Millsap was a free agent this year he would likely command somewhere between $11m-$14m a season, for a four year contract value of approximately $44-$56m.

How Does Millsap Fit Long-term into the Jazz’s Financial Future?

Long-term, the Jazz do not have any significant contractual commitments beyond the 2012-13 season. The team’s next major financial decisions (with guys currently on the roster) will be potential contract extensions (assuming the players earn them) given to Derrick Favors and Gordon Hayward and which would kick in during the 2014-15 season. Both Enes Kanter and Alec Burks will also be due contract extensions that would begin in 2015-16. If the Jazz give Millsap a 3 year extension he will be locked up to the team through 2015-16 and his contract will overlap Favors and Hayward by two seasons and Kanter and Burks by one season. Without any significant free agent signings (or similar extensions given to Al Jefferson and Devin Harris), the Jazz would likely be able to afford a market rate contract extension to Millsap under the terms presented above.
    And ideally if you don't overpay him you'll be able to trade him if the time comes where Favors/ Kanter/Hayward/etc. make him expendable. Right now he's not as much as everyone loves Favors raw talent.

How Does Millsap Fit Long-term into the Jazz’s On-Court Future?

Perhaps more important on whether the Jazz “can” afford Millsap, is the question on whether the Jazz should pay Millsap an extension of between $11m-$14m per year. While that money is fair compensation for a borderline all-star and starting NBA power forward, the question on whether Millsap is still a starting power forward on the Utah Jazz for the 2012-13 is legitimate.

As of right now most fans have Favors penciled in to start one frontcourt position for the Jazz next year. That leaves Millsap and Jefferson (and maybe Kanter?) to fight for the remaining starting position at either center or power forward. If the Jazz decide that they want Favors to be their starting power forward and Jefferson or Kanter to be their starting center, that likely pushes Millsap to the bench, at which point the team would have a hard time justifying Millsap’s high dollar contract extension.
    Have a hard time justifying putting your best player on the bench.

What Happens if Millsap is not Given an Extension?

Now this is the real 50 million dollar question. Kevin O’Connor has gone on record a handful of times over the past year espousing the Jazz’s financial flexibility in the summer of 2013. Assuming the Jazz do not make any major transactions this year, the Jazz could have up to $30m in cap space to pursue free agents. O’Connor seems to be looking forward to this flexibility and may balk at any extension requests for Millsap (or Jefferson or Harris) in order to see what he could do with the salary cap room next offseason.
    Yeah maybe he can make another great deal like the one that gave up 3 first rounders and a huge TPE and a big luxury tax payment.

It is because of that desire by O’Connor that the following statement in Brian T. Smith’s article has me concerned: “If a deal can't be reached, a variety of options will be explored.” I am not sure where exactly Smith is getting his information. It seems likely to me that it is a quote from Millsap’s agent or perhaps just a summary of a conversation that they might have had.

In any event, Millsap’s only “real” option is to play out the final year of his contract and test free agency next offseason. However, if you are Millsap’s agent and you want to maximize your client’s value you cannot be optimistic of the chances of your client to increase his value if he is relegated to a bench role on his team during his contract year. It is for that reason that I fear that if Millsap is not given an extension we may see another NBA player issue a trade demand. While it is not the first time this has happened to the Jazz, nor will it be the last time, it certainly is not something that loyal Jazz fans would expect out of a guy like Millsap. I hope for the best that it does not get to that point.

Of course, as the Smith article indicates, all of this would be prevented if Millsap is traded prior to the commencement of the free agency period. That may be the reason we are hearing Millsap’s name pop up in trade rumors as we approach the draft. While most Jazz fans are fond of Millsap and his work ethic, it would appear to me that we may have seen the last of him in a Jazz uniform.
    All I can say is they better get some big time help at the one and on the perimeter if they trade him. He might be the most tradable player they have but Harris and Jefferson are the ones that need to go.

"It's a good spot and I feel comfortable here," said Machado, who has now worked out for 16 teams. "Devin Harris does a great job here and they can use someone who knows how to distribute the ball and get everybody involved."
    Yep cuz it sure isn't Harris!

The Jazz will welcome 12 more players in two groups today for workouts. Two are foreign players, Paul Lacombe, a 6-5 guard from France and Negueba Samake, a 6-11 center from the Republic of Mali
    Lacombe sounds like their type of player. Can pass and run the pick and roll. Could maybe play him with Hayward running the offense.

So supposedly Toronto's #8 pick is up for trade as well as the Rockets wanting to trade Kyle Lowry so Dragic can start. Any interest in either you reckon? Would be silly not to go window shopping and see how much they cost.

Jazz general manager Kevin O'Connor said it's possible the Jazz could move up from their second-round position. "We're talking to a lot of people about a lot of things," he said
    Sounds like they're talking about the possibilities anyway. Certainly if they can get Lilliard or Marshall and/or someone like Lowry they better consider it at least.