Local High School Star

Default What percentage of the general population has the height to play in the NBA?

PG: at least 5'11 barefoot( listed 6'0 )

SG: at least 6'4 barefoot ( listed 6'5 )

SF: at least 6'6 barefoot ( listed 6'7 )

PF: at least 6'7 barefoot ( listed 6'8 )

C: at least 6'8 barefoot ( listed 6'9 )

Though these are on the shorter side.

Dunking on everybody in the park Basketman's Avatar

Default Re: What percentage of the general population has the height to play in the NBA?

Not the majority I'm guessing. And most that can play in the NBA are going to be guard-size.

Default Re: What percentage of the general population has the height to play in the NBA?

I'm 6'3" barefoot, and I only have one friend that is as tall as I am.

Good college starter

6'0 barefoot with very long arms

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

muggsy takes away any height excuse

3-time NBA All-Star

After doing some research, 15% of adult males are 6' or taller, and less than 5% are 6'4" or taller... after that I couldn't find any data on 6'6" and taller

The average adult male is about 5' 9", so you can knock off 50% of the male population right away.

I rule the local playground JG000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    After doing some research, 15% of adult males are 6' or taller, and less than 5% are 6'4" or taller... after that I couldn't find any data on 6'6" and taller
    Cool... interesting stat

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JG000
    Cool... interesting stat
    cool stat hansel.

The % of the population over 6'6" is probably statistically unrepresentable (due to the low actual number and the increase in Type II (false negative) error). THe stats I can find say that only 3.9% of the pop are taller than 6'2". so, if average height is 5'9", the standard deviation is a little more than 2.5" (I read that it is 3" elsewhere). that means that less than 0.5% of the population is taller than 6'6" (3 standard deviations, 1 tail). again, any statistical evaluation of this (p=0.005) is gonna have major type II error issues. sorry for the technical talk.

Banned

I'm pretty surprised the average height is 5'9''. Even in America, I see many more sub5'9'' men than above 5'9'' men, plus many of those nutritionally famished countries with typically shorter men.

Banned

Only 3% of the adult male population in the US is 6-2 and up.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 08-06-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop_Cat
    I'm pretty surprised the average height is 5'9''. Even in America, I see many more sub5'9'' men than above 5'9'' men, plus many of those nutritionally famished countries with typically shorter men.
    Average adult male height with shoes on in the US for ages 20-30 is 5-10. So the average height barefoot is 5-9. Keep in mind that's JUST for men age 20-30. Outside those age ranges the height is less.

Outside the US is another story.

Countries in Scandinavia and Adriatic regions like the Balkans have average heights of 6 feet and over.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 08-06-2009 at 03:55 PM.

NBA Superstar

It's kind of the opposite for me. I am so used to hanging out and playing basketball against guys my height (6'3'') and taller than I begin to get the idea that I'm average or perhaps slightly undersized. So it's always satisfying to walk around normal public places (not a basketball court) and realize I'm taller than 95% of the people I come across.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

as others have said, thats the mean height in the US. I dont really know that many men under 5'9". and in reality, half of all men should be under 5'9" anyways. Do you really think more than half of the men you see (biblically I bet) are under 5'9". Are you in a heavily Korean area?

Decent playground baller

Damn sucks for me. I'm 6'1 in Shoes and the shortest of my 4 friends. They're all 6'3, 6'3, 6'5. I need to find shorter friends, I've always felt I was small or average, guess not.