Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Tom Donaghy is the crooked ref

Here's a balst from the past:

Trail Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace was suspended Saturday for seven games without pay for confronting and threatening a referee outside the Rose Garden in Portland. Referees mentioned the confrontation in a routine report filed after Portland's 100-92 victory over Memphis on Wednesday night. ``He accosted a referee and threatened him,'' NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson said during a conference call Saturday. Jackson refused to elaborate on the confrontation, which happened after the game in the arena's loading dock, where players and other game personnel park their cars. Jackson said there was no physical contact between Wallace and referee Tim Donaghy.

``We strongly believe the penalty that we issued was appropriate for Rasheed's actions,'' Jackson said. Wallace can appeal the suspension. Wallace scored a season-high 38 points and had 10 rebounds against Memphis. Donaghy called a technical foul on him with 9:45 to go in the third quarter. The call appeared to be for the way Wallace returned the ball to another referee after he was called for a foul. Wallace led the league in technical fouls the past three seasons, breaking his own record by getting 41 in 2000-01. Jackson said Wallace's prior indiscretions were taken into account in determining his new punishment. Wallace was fined $15,000 last month for his actions following a post-game brawl between the Blazers and the Golden State Warriors. Wallace allegedly tried to go after a fan who threw a wad of chewing gum on him.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    Speaking of NBA referees. I opened up my SI magazine and was shocked to discover that Shag Crawford (famous umpire who umped from the late 50's to late 70's. Founder of the umpire's union) had two sons. One named Jerry who went on to umpire as well, the other was Joey Crawford, yes the NBA referee. That's a ridiculous set of great officiators.
    You mean the ex-NBA referee, right?

Seems odd you would make that mistake, considering your username.

Did Donaghy have a run-in with Rasheed Wallace back in the day? Sheed chased him outside and confronted him after a game?

Edit--speak of the devil...

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    The NBA has a bad rep as having awful refs that blow calls with regularity. Having it turn out one is rigging games.... That is a monstrous blow to the Ls integrity. Especially when Stern was openly scoffing at there ever being a chance of this happening while in Vegas this past AllStar game.

The the worst thing you can have in sports is a rigged game. People forgive steroids, drugs, domestic fights etc but they do NOT forgive rigging the game. If they did, Pete Rose would be in the HOF. (and he shouldnt be for that)
    The NBA's integrity?

The league is unpopular now because of the way the game is played. It's very lacking. That is why people don't watch as much as they used to.

I guess I'm just too dead to the league itself now that I don't care about this. It doesn't surprise me and I don't care. I know there are millions that feel the same way. Some don't care, but still watch because it's engrained in them. Most stopped caring after Jordan left and they were left the "stars" they have now and likely won't ever come back.

The league is a joke is so many ways that this isn't a big deal to me. It really isn't. The way they let the players control the damn league and the way they market (or don't market) the league is a joke and a big deal to me. Not this.

I am obsessed with demonizing Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    I hope he didn't ref any Laker games.

Yes it will. You never know if any other refs are doing it. Refs were never that liked anyways and always got critisized and now, they will have to be even more careful since their gonna be under everyone's eye. Mark Cuban is gonna make even more comments about the refs.
    I'm sure him and a couple of his ref buddies reffed the Shaq ERA Lakers.

Interesting. Though 'Sheed accosts everybody.

It'd be crazy interesting if it was Steve Nash or someone who is usually even keeled...

Quote Originally Posted by John Starks
    Here's a balst from the past:

Trail Blazers forward Rasheed Wallace was suspended Saturday for seven games without pay for confronting and threatening a referee outside the Rose Garden in Portland. Referees mentioned the confrontation in a routine report filed after Portland's 100-92 victory over Memphis on Wednesday night. ``He accosted a referee and threatened him,'' NBA senior vice president Stu Jackson said during a conference call Saturday. Jackson refused to elaborate on the confrontation, which happened after the game in the arena's loading dock, where players and other game personnel park their cars. Jackson said there was no physical contact between Wallace and referee Tim Donaghy.

``We strongly believe the penalty that we issued was appropriate for Rasheed's actions,'' Jackson said. Wallace can appeal the suspension. Wallace scored a season-high 38 points and had 10 rebounds against Memphis. Donaghy called a technical foul on him with 9:45 to go in the third quarter. The call appeared to be for the way Wallace returned the ball to another referee after he was called for a foul. Wallace led the league in technical fouls the past three seasons, breaking his own record by getting 41 in 2000-01. Jackson said Wallace's prior indiscretions were taken into account in determining his new punishment. Wallace was fined $15,000 last month for his actions following a post-game brawl between the Blazers and the Golden State Warriors. Wallace allegedly tried to go after a fan who threw a wad of chewing gum on him.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    The NBA has a bad rep as having awful refs that blow calls with regularity. Having it turn out one is rigging games.... That is a monstrous blow to the Ls integrity. Especially when Stern was openly scoffing at there ever being a chance of this happening while in Vegas this past AllStar game.

The the worst thing you can have in sports is a rigged game. People forgive steroids, drugs, domestic fights etc but they do NOT forgive rigging the game. If they did, Pete Rose would be in the HOF. (and he shouldnt be for that)
    No actually most the people I talk to and discuss this with agree that the NBA refs are the best with calls. It helps that there is one ref per matchup baisically (1:3.4 ratio). David Stern tried his best to uphold the integrity of these refs, and I do believe they still use the merit system for playoff games right? But this is stupid, and could turn out to be basketball''s "steriods"

Dunking on everybody in the park

On Phoenix local radio they are saying the league might have known of these allegations for the last two years.
    Last edited by ExpatSunsFan; 07-20-2007 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    I hope he didn't ref any Laker games.

Yes it will. You never know if any other refs are doing it. Refs were never that liked anyways and always got critisized and now, they will have to be even more careful since their gonna be under everyone's eye. Mark Cuban is gonna make even more comments about the refs.
    I want to know if he reffed Games 5-7 in the Kings v Lakers WCF.

Now, that series was reffed worse than Spurs/Suns or Mavs/Heat.

See?

people are already going back scouring over games and fouls and ejections to see where tim"s name comes up...its gonna continue and the league will have some tough questions to answer before the season starts and well into it (not to mention next years playoffs)

Quote Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
    On Phoenix local radio they are saying the league might have known of these allegations for the last two years.
    then that is even worse considering they were letting the dude ref playoffs games.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
    I want to know if he reffed Games 5-7 in the Kings v Lakers WCF.

Now, that series was reffed worse than Spurs/Suns or Mavs/Heat.
    that was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy11
    No it won't. That's ridiculous.

Fire him and get on with life.

LOL, you're crazy. If the evidence shows that he impacted that playoff series between Phoenix and San Antonio by deliberately making false calls, this is a scandal that will take YEARS to get over with.

as a suns fan i was disgusted with what bowen was able to get away with in that series. but why wouldnt any of the other refs call those fouls? it either means that more were in on it, or the officiating is just lacking altogether.

man.. this is terrible. but so exciting in a way. its good to see that all of the fans complaining about bad officiating over the years has SOME credibility now.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I won 10 bucks on that series in a bet with a friend....I feel so awful now, after I took that ten, and bought Sam Adams, and, and...drank it...oh, God. Or rather, Octoberfest. Oh, Octoberfest. Never have I felt bad over such good beer. Guess I'll have to buy some more beer, it's the only way to right this wrong.

On a slightly more serious note, it gives the Suns fans that feel the Suns are the top team and the anti-TD crowd that we Duncan-supporters keep on throwing Championships in the face of a little bit of ammunition. But the whiny Mav fans still need to shut up about Wade.

Donaghy conspiring with Kobe?