Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Default Re: Dow, S&P and NASDAQ all finish at record highs

Real talk. Let's forget politics for a second and talk as investors.

I'm hearing a ton of analysts claiming there will be an oncoming big recession that will hit end of 2019, or beginning of 2020. Forget whose fault, or Trump this Obama that.

What are some good recession proof investments to make outside of low yield bonds?

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    Give it 2 weeks and we will be mocking this thread and OP. They never learn. Rufus looked foolish last time.

Bookmark'd. See you in a few weeks, rufus.
    Quite frankly, I hope there is nothing to mock; I sincerely hope the markets continue to do well as I have a vested financial interest in the performance of the markets. At the same time, I believe this is the third time a thread like this has been made. Think has started to border on Konex Curse levels of annoying.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Trump the hero , what a Sweet Ol Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Quite frankly, I hope there is nothing to mock; I sincerely hope the markets continue to do well as I have a vested financial interest in the performance of the markets. At the same time, I believe this is the third time a thread like this has been made. Think has started to border on Konex Curse levels of annoying.

The point is all your dire predictions have yet to come true. And every time I post one of these threads you idiots all say the same bullshit: It's all due to Obama. But when the market dips it's suddenly all Trump's fault. So predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Real talk. Let's forget politics for a second and talk as investors.

I'm hearing a ton of analysts claiming there will be an oncoming big recession that will hit end of 2019, or beginning of 2020. Forget whose fault, or Trump this Obama that.

What are some good recession proof investments to make outside of low yield bonds?
    They've been predicting a recession for about 8 years now. Truth of the matter is, and I'm trying my best to avoid pulling a John McCain here... the fundamentals of this present economy are strong. An escalation in the trade wars, real war with Iran or some other artificial nonsense could cause a recession, but there is really no reason for the economy to retract right now or in the immediate future.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    They've been predicting a recession for about 8 years now.
    not really. none of the accepted/historic recession indicators (yield curve, etc) have been flashing red until recently (think last 6ish months or so).

it's one thing for some professional cable news or internet doomsayer to predict a downturn, but now signs are showing in analytics. also showing in the overall economy (slowing hiring, manufacturing/housing/construction nosediving, etc).

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Could, Might, Possibly, Maybe, Should, Perhaps, Conceivably, Feasibly.

What other adverbs am I missing that Democrats love using when talking about this economy or this President?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    What other adverbs am I missing that Democrats love using when talking about this economy or this President?
    inverted?

i think technically that's an adjective.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    slowing hiring.

U.S. added 224,000 jobs in June. Thanks Obama!

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul

The point is all your dire predictions have yet to come true. And every time I post one of these threads you idiots all say the same bullshit: It's all due to Obama. But when the market dips it's suddenly all Trump's fault. So predictable.
    I haven't made any dire predictions about the markets. Don't try to tag me with what others have said. What I don't like is Trump's insistence on inserting himself into financial and market relevant issues when he has no idea what he's talking about. I'm also not fond of his determination to start or threaten trade wars with our trade partners. If you want to deflect blame or even blame Obama every time the markets dips because Trump threatened Mexico, Canada, Europe or China, and they respond in kind, feel free. You'll look foolish, but have at it.

Let's be real, Rufus... you're likely to dismiss a serious market dip directly due to the current administration's actions. People are losing their farms in middle America and many are practically on government welfare and it's practically met with a collective shrug and a "I've seen worse" from some of you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    not really. none of the accepted/historic recession indicators (yield curve, etc) have been flashing red until recently (think last 6ish months or so).

it's one thing for some professional cable news or internet doomsayer to predict a downturn, but now signs are showing in analytics. also showing in the overall economy (slowing hiring, manufacturing/housing/construction nosediving, etc).
    You can go back to the end of the last recession and find market analysts fretting about the state of the recovering economy and predicting a second impending recession all throughout the 2010s. You're correct, none of the recession indicators have been flashing red until now, buy analysts stay panicky; they've been pulling out isolated indicators for a decade now, and I've seen the dips in my portfolio every time they release a hastily written report.

We had strong job numbers today, but the markets are down because that kills hope for Fed rate cuts. I hate investors sometimes. Even a slowdown in certain sectors isn't indicative of an automatic economic retraction. If we go into a recession, it will likely be because Trump did something stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    U.S. added 224,000 jobs in June.
    this man rufus is gonna get caught with his pants down again.

U.S. Adds 75,000 Jobs in May, Well Below Expectations

U.S. Companies Add Fewest Jobs Since 2010, ADP Data Show

Job creation has another rough month in June as private payrolls rise by just 102,000

US sees most layoffs since the financial crisis, many in retail jobs

Earnings recession risk increases as a flood of warnings hit

^that's been the overall trend this quarter. anemic job growth, mid double digit % layoff increases, earnings recession. this latest report was an outlier, and will prob be revised downward next month.

and you saw the markets plunge when the jobs report first broke. investors are betting against the economy, praying for more easy money with fed rate decreases.

You can go back to the end of the last recession and find market analysts fretting about the state of the recovering economy and predicting a second impending recession all throughout the 2010s. You're correct, none of the recession indicators have been flashing red until now, buy analysts stay panicky; they've been pulling out isolated indicators for a decade now, and I've seen the dips in my portfolio every time they release a hastily written report.
    ...which is the difference between then and now. softness in a sector or two led some analysts to panic unnecessarily. but now all pertinent indicators point in one direction.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Don is peddling fake news as usual. Jobs were up this past month, surpassing Wall Street expectations. Average wage was up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Don is peddling fake news as usual. Jobs were up this past month, surpassing Wall Street expectations. Average wage was up too.
    Yup. Wages have risen under Trump. Not by a great deal but they have gone up as unemployment has gone down.

College superstar

I wonder if the fed will cut now that we've seen strong employment numbers?