Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Duncan would NEVER have allowed himself to be owned like Robinson was against Hakeem.
    Hakeem probly would kick TD ass too

Facts Are Misleading

Default ...

Duncan would NEVER have allowed himself to be owned like Robinson was against Hakeem.
    Amare.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by dejordan
    , better at running guys down on the break,

not really disagreeing with the rest of your post, but did you see the game, or ever see the highlights of, Dream running down KJ on a break and swatting his dunk attempt into the crowd?

for the most part, the two players were close to equal statistically. But Hakeem always seemed to have the edge when they played.

Also, the post about the quad double, Dream has one also, and quite a few nearly quad doubles...I'll try to find the site that has the almosts listed

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Amare.
    Who won the series?

I think that mattered more to Duncan

I rule the local playground

Robinson doesn't have the 'winning intangibles"? If by not having 'winning intangibles' you mean not having fellow all-stars surrounding him, having a great coach, etc. Then yeah, Robinson never had all that. Not to mention he played in one of the most difficult, and competitive eras in professional basketball...

Robinson not a leader? WTF, this dude was ia Lieutenant the Navy. If anything, Robinson knows TRUE leadership. Wasn't a leader? haha He was the leader of the team when Duncan played with them. Duncan would probably even tell you this, straight up.

Admiral was just straight better. Softer? Growing up under a Navy family? Yeah right. Duncan was a beast. Like Dwight Howard's body, but even more athletic.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine
    Amare.
    Exactly...

Hakeem probly would kick TD ass too
    Most definetely. Duncan isn't near quick enough, or athletic enough to guard "The Dream."

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Forget the numbers, Duncan has the winning intangibles that Robinson never had. He's a better leader, and more respected by his teammates. I don't take the Admiral over Duncan even one time out of ten.

I can't picture a single player, or even a person that disrepected D-Rob. He was a complete role model on and off the court...

Quote Originally Posted by The Mamba
    Robinson doesn't have the 'winning intangibles"? If by not having 'winning intangibles' you mean not having fellow all-stars surrounding him, having a great coach, etc. Then yeah, Robinson never had all that. Not to mention he played in one of the most difficult, and competitive eras in professional basketball...

Robinson not a leader? WTF, this dude was ia Lieutenant the Navy. If anything, Robinson knows TRUE leadership. Wasn't a leader? haha He was the leader of the team when Duncan played with them. Duncan would probably even tell you this, straight up.

Admiral was just straight better. Softer? Growing up under a Navy family? Yeah right. Duncan was a beast. Like Dwight Howard's body, but even more athletic.
    D. Rob. was not as respected as a team leader as Duncan is. If you saw that clip of his own teammate (Avery) dissing him, you would realize this. I'm not saying that Robinson was trash, or that he wasn't respected as an upstanding citizen and a great role model, he just didn't have the gritty intangibles that Duncan has.

I guess we can agree to disagree, but I really can't explain it better than that. Robinson always reminded me of a big, incredibly coordinated guy who played ball because of his physical talents, not because he loved the game. With Duncan, I think the latter is true.

EDIT: I don't know if you watched that series against Hakeem and the Rockets, but at some points Robinson was incredibly, and visibly lacking in confidence. It got so bad at one point that Avery made a point about giving him a hug (seriously) to boost his spirits and to get his head up again. To have that happen to the reigning MVP was amazing. You can't tell me that Robinson lost a ton of respect after that series, even though many probably won't come out and say it.
    Last edited by Shepseskaf; 09-16-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
    I can't picture a single player, or even a person that disrepected D-Rob. He was a complete role model on and off the court...
    Being respected as a person and a role model, which he certainly was, is different from being respected on the floor. D. Rob was obviously a great player, but did not have the same reputation for toughness in the clutch that Duncan has earned.

Local High School Star

just curious...
    who is the 99

prime hakeem would screw anybody any day. yeah the dream was that good.

I remember Dennis Rodman in one of his autobiographies say that prior to (one of) the games during the '95 west conference finals, D-Rob was shaking in his boots in the locker room, absolutely all shook and quivering all over. I'm sure this inspired confidence in the other players.

What was Dennis Rodman's excuses? That he couldn't guard Hakeem, due to the risk of foul trouble, or his board responsibilities kept leaving Robert Horry wide open for 3's?

Quote Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
    I remember Dennis Rodman in one of his autobiographies say that prior to (one of) the games during the '95 west conference finals, D-Rob was shaking in his boots in the locker room, absolutely all shook and quivering all over. I'm sure this inspired confidence in the other players.
    I recall that there was some serious static between Rodman and Robinson because Rodman didn't respect him. I had forgotten about that quote, and it just reinforces my point -- D. Rob. is a great person, but was NOT a rock in the clutch, and didn't especially inspire confidence in teammates.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Glove_20
    Who won the series?

I think that mattered more to Duncan
    Duncan would get owned by Dream. First of all i could see dream shutting duncan down. Second of all there is nothing TD could do to stup Hakeem. They would have to double and triple him. But i think Hakeem could play Duncan 1 on 1.

In his prime I don't think anyone could stop Hakeem, so it's not really disrespectful to Duncan.

I mean this guy torched a young Shaq, MVP Robinson, and Prime Ewing. If those three couldn't stop him I'm not sure anyone could of.