Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: How to make it to the NBA

isnt comparing it to the lotto a bit to far. i mean first of all, going to the nba is determined mostly by how hard i work not luck. and theres a fair amount of players that get into the league each year.

and lol @ me making 2 topics asking to help my game suggesting i dont go outside and practice

thx for the responses tho

Banned

lol thread

Quote Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
    isnt comparing it to the lotto a bit to far. i mean first of all, going to the nba is determined mostly by how hard i work not luck. and theres a fair amount of players that get into the league each year.

and lol @ me making 2 topics asking to help my game suggesting i dont go outside and practice

thx for the responses tho
    No, the lottery isn't much of a stretch.

Your actual odds of winning the lottery depend on where you play, but single state lotteries usually have odds of about 18 million to 1 while multiple state lotteries have odds as high as 120 million to 1.

The odds of an American high school basketball player making the NBA are about 4 in 10 million. For a high school level player outside the US the odds are significantly worse.

There are between 40-60 open roster spots in the entire league each year.
    Typically, not even enough for the two rounds of players drafted.

And you can work and work and work, but if you're not at least 6'5" the odds stay pretty much the same.

Serious playground baller

Hard work, if your reading this and not in the gym right now you are probably not working hard enough. I've seen kids who spent hours everyday not even make it to D1. I think Pistol Pete said he spent 4 hours a day during the school year and 8 hours a day during the summer just working on his ball handling and shooting. It also takes a little luck. You need to stand out in good competition. If you are from a small town and play for a small school in a small league you are going to have a really hard time getting notice by college scouts. And probably money. You are going to need to go to some camps and have a trainer work with you to improve. Youtube videos are great but they can only take you so far.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J21

Banned

Hakeem had Kareem as his mentor/trainer... so as long as you got a personal trainer/motivator , your good to go...

but the sad part is that if your a middle classed kind of person then.. you prolly have a lil motivation, cuz you already have the things that you want.. like FOOD, Clothes , etc.... The Superstars in the league right now, struggled their whole entire childhood, sacrificed their bodies so they can eat... T-Mac was poor, A.I. was pooor... Iverson's mother had to chose between his shoes or FOOD, and that was the only money she had... Kobe WAS SO-SO. Sheed and Shaq was poor.. all those superstars you see on TV now was struggling before.. So if your satisfied with the things you have now, then.. you have lower chances.. but who knows.. we never know..

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe8
    Hakeem had Kareem as his mentor/trainer... so as long as you got a personal trainer/motivator , your good to go...

but the sad part is that if your a middle classed kind of person then.. you prolly have a lil motivation, cuz you already have the things that you want.. like FOOD, Clothes , etc.... The Superstars in the league right now, struggled their whole entire childhood, sacrificed their bodies so they can eat... T-Mac was poor, A.I. was pooor... Iverson's mother had to chose between his shoes or FOOD, and that was the only money she had... Kobe WAS SO-SO. Sheed and Shaq was poor.. all those superstars you see on TV now was struggling before.. So if your satisfied with the things you have now, then.. you have lower chances.. but who knows.. we never know..
    Kobe's father Joe was an NBA player who also spent years playing overseas. While not paid on the scale of current players, his family was well off and lived around the globe.

Shaq comes from a military family. Again, not poor or wanting.

Sure, there are examples of really poor guys that made it. Just like there are examples like Grant Hill, Kevin Love, etc that couldn't be further from your broad generalization.

Local High School Star Harrison_Barnes's Avatar

Well assuming you have the talent to be good enough.. train hard everyday.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhtc
    the chances of making it is 0.00000003%
    Out of the possible 1 million basketball players in the world,
    you basically have to be amongst the 450 best ones to even make the roster.

You will have to be the biggest star in your area.
    Obviously the best player on your High school team unless you attend top basketball high schools.
    You then have to make the a D1 college team and also be the top 3 guys on your team.

And once you have done that, there's still a long way to go.
    You're right on most accounts but I'm going to object to your first line just so I can throw in my two cents. I've always thought the percentage chance of making the NBA was garbage (and that's not on you, Tommy). It is not a lottery. Players are in control to a certain point.

Too often, I've seen hopes of youngsters being good basketball players getting absolutely crushed when faced with a percentage like the one you threw out there. I know I was one of them. Making the NBA is still a terrible longshot, but the percentages are likely better for a lot of us than we were ever told (they're still very low, but they're better). Higher still are the chances of playing pro ball somewhere in the world.

Out of the suggested billions of basketball players, I'd say there's a top 1% who end up being really committed to the game. I'd arbitrarily say this would be those in America (and other countries) who become the best player on their high school team, one of the top ten players in their high school conference, and maybe one of the top players in their state's region. So, for that one percent that is truly committed to the sport and excels, I wouldn't look at their chances as being "1 out of a billion". Rather, I see their chances as being perhaps "1 out of 1000's".

For the NBA, one of the things I've noticed one really does kind of have to be the winner of a sort of lottery for, is borderline freakish dimensions. That will surely improve your ability to make it to the NBA. Think 6'10'' players with 7'4'' wingspans. However, there's still a fair amount of normal sized players who reach the league as well (6'3''ish).

Point being, I'm on the other side of the "your chances of success in basketball are approximately .00004%" fence. A lot of us are closer to success than we ever truly believe we are. Being an NBA multi-millionaire is extremely difficult, takes a very specific set of circumstances, and is still very unlikely. But I don't think we're all on an even playing field when it comes to making it.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    Hard work, if your reading this and not in the gym right now you are probably not working hard enough. I've seen kids who spent hours everyday not even make it to D1. I think Pistol Pete said he spent 4 hours a day during the school year and 8 hours a day during the summer just working on his ball handling and shooting. It also takes a little luck. You need to stand out in good competition. If you are from a small town and play for a small school in a small league you are going to have a really hard time getting notice by college scouts. And probably money. You are going to need to go to some camps and have a trainer work with you to improve. Youtube videos are great but they can only take you so far.
    That's a lie. They weren't spending everyday in the gym starting from a really young age like 13 or 14 years old, and if they were ( they weren't) they werent going hard. There are like 300 hundred D-I schools. So many garbage DI teams in the smaller conferences, if you wanted to play for them you easily could. Now the good mid major and above D1 schools that's a different story you gotta be really good.

Yep, that's about right and nowadays it is even more . More like 4-7 hours a day during school, and in the summer 8-10 hours a day if your trying to go mid major D1 or better or already on that level. It takes a lot of sacrifice and you really gotta enjoy playing or you won't be able to do it.

and come on now just because you go on the internet doesn't mean your not working hard enough.

As for making it to the NBA, nowadays you gotta have natural talent. Usually you can tell the kids who are naturally good at even your local pee wee league. They are the kids at 5 years old that can already use both hands while dribble. Good Genes, it helps to be 6 ft or up. And at a young age like 9 or 10 years old dedicate ( or be forced by parents) to dedicate yourself to training and practicing by yourself and with trainers for 5-8 hours everyday before and after school. And in the summer 10 hours a day.

That's just to give you a chance, at worse you will be able to get college paid for at whatever level you are able to play at.

I know OJ Mayo said since he was 9 years old he would do 3-A-Days during school and end up practicing/playing 10-12 hours everyday from middle school and high school.

Another guy like currently Jashaun Agosto he is 12 now and in 7th grade I believe. Started practicing 5-6 hours a day after school with top trainers since he was 9 years old. He is very small for his age, his dad isn't a tall guy. Is he going to make it to the NBA? Maybe, but at worse he will get his college paid for, That's like 80,000-200,000 dollar investment at worst if you think about it.

Thats good deal. imo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQvGTfc7Ig
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQvGTfc7Ig

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    You're right on most accounts but I'm going to object to your first line just so I can throw in my two cents. I've always thought the percentage chance of making the NBA was garbage (and that's not on you, Tommy). It is not a lottery. Players are in control to a certain point.

Too often, I've seen hopes of youngsters being good basketball players getting absolutely crushed when faced with a percentage like the one you threw out there. I know I was one of them. Making the NBA is still a terrible longshot, but the percentages are likely better for a lot of us than we were ever told (they're still very low, but they're better). Higher still are the chances of playing pro ball somewhere in the world.

Out of the suggested billions of basketball players, I'd say there's a top 1% who end up being really committed to the game. I'd arbitrarily say this would be those in America (and other countries) who become the best player on their high school team, one of the top ten players in their high school conference, and maybe one of the top players in their state's region. So, for that one percent that is truly committed to the sport and excels, I wouldn't look at their chances as being "1 out of a billion". Rather, I see their chances as being perhaps "1 out of 1000's".

For the NBA, one of the things I've noticed one really does kind of have to be the winner of a sort of lottery for, is borderline freakish dimensions. That will surely improve your ability to make it to the NBA. Think 6'10'' players with 7'4'' wingspans. However, there's still a fair amount of normal sized players who reach the league as well (6'3''ish).

Point being, I'm on the other side of the "your chances of success in basketball are approximately .00004%" fence. A lot of us are closer to success than we ever truly believe we are. Being an NBA multi-millionaire is extremely difficult, takes a very specific set of circumstances, and is still very unlikely. But I don't think we're all on an even playing field when it comes to making it.
    I think it is a tad bit higher. From my experience on an average high school team of 14 players or so. Only about 2 of them maybe 3 of them are truely committed to the game, and put in the work. So that's about 15% percentage.

But I see the point you were trying to make. Numbers are like mehh, just put in the work and you will be fine. That goes for everything you do. Take school for example, say there is 600 students in your year. Before you enter school someone tells you, you have 1/600 chance of being Valedictorian, mathematical that is fact, that's only .0016667 of a chance, from the total population pool. You may say i'll pass on those odds. However, Valedictorian just doesn't randomly happen, just like improving at basketball just doesn't magically happen. You got to put in the work in both fields.

If you factor in the druggies, gangstas, at your school, the people who don't do their homework, people who don't study for test, people who don't care about grades, people who just want to do the minimum to pass, dropouts, etc etc you see that your 600 person population pool, turns down to maybe 70 or 80 people.

Being 70 people out is managable if your look over notes every night, actually read the books, do extra problems, practice test etc. That's if you really wanted to be Valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA average. Everyone wants to be Valedictorian, but nobody wants to put in the work into doing so. Same with basketball, everyone wants to be good, but nobody wants to put in the work to get better.
    Last edited by lilojmayo; 02-04-2011 at 06:11 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by lilojmayo
    I think it is a tad bit higher. From my experience on an average high school team of 14 players or so. Only about 2 of them maybe 3 of them are truely committed to the game, and put in the work. So that's about 15% percentage.

But I see the point you were trying to make. Numbers are like mehh, just put in the work and you will be fine. That goes for everything you do. Take school for example, say there is 600 students in your year. Before you enter school someone tells you, you have 1/600 chance of being Valedictorian, mathematical that is fact, that's only .0016667 of a chance, from the total population pool. You may say i'll pass on those odds. However, Valedictorian just doesn't randomly happen, just like improving at basketball just doesn't magically happen. You got to put in the work in both fields.

If you factor in the druggies, gangstas, at your school, the people who don't do their homework, people who don't study for test, people who don't care about grades, people who just want to do the minimum to pass, dropouts, etc etc you see that your 600 person population pool, turns down to maybe 70 or 80 people.

Being 70 people out is managable if your look over notes every night, actually read the books, do extra problems, practice test etc. That's if you really wanted to be Valedictorian with a 4.0 GPA average. Everyone wants to be Valedictorian, but nobody wants to put in the work into doing so. Same with basketball, everyone wants to be good, but nobody wants to put in the work to get better.
    Thanks, man. That's exactly what I was getting at and your examples helped clarify my point.