Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Decent college freshman Mr. Incredible's Avatar

Default Re: Clippers game. So apparently giving a high five is illegal now

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Read it again when you can get some reading comprehension.

I've been officiating games for about six years now, and 90% of the time a defenders arm swings up like that trying to fight around a screen, its called a foul. Just like the majority of the time, a defender swiping down to take the ball away from a driving player, is called a foul as well.
    Please Stop.

Complete Player

I don't really give a damn if the Clippers get reffed fair anymore. I simply want those bitch ass piece of sh** floppers out of the playoffs. They're an embarrassment to the league. If the refs do a Lakers/Kings Game 6 job on them in Game 7 I'll ass off. The Grizzlies are everything I love about basketball and the Clippers are everything I hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
    Please Stop.
    Please read the rule book

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    What was the technical about again? Surely it's not about the high five.
    It was.

CF86, where you at, [COLOR="Red"]BITCH[/COLOR]?

Quote Originally Posted by REACTION
    It was.
    If it was, then why isn't Blake Griffin get a tech too?

Nah...it can't be just about that...

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

The NBA has gotten to soft...Its hardly fun to watch today...you can`t play D at all

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I don't understand why people (Clipper fans) are fine with flops if there was a foul before hand. If there was an obvious foul on LeBron and LeBron rolled 30 times and ended up on the other end of the court, would you say the flop was fine since there was an actual foul that led to the flop? No, you'd say that shit was stupid and doesn't belong on the basketball court.

Decent playground baller

There was. Incidental contact doesn't equal the players arm flailing up as they try to go around a screen.
    IMO, but I've never officiated any basketball game and I am more used to FIBA referring. In this clip Evans left foot is moving when the contact starts and his pick isn't straight, his body is unbalanced and looking for contact with Allen. In my understanding that's never a foul because that's not a proper pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I don't understand why people (Clipper fans) are fine with flops if there was a foul before hand. If there was an obvious foul on LeBron and LeBron rolled 30 times and ended up on the other end of the court, would you say the flop was fine since there was an actual foul that led to the flop? No, you'd say that shit was stupid and doesn't belong on the basketball court.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    It's a combination of the two that determines the severity of the flop to me; the amount of contact, and the sort of reaction displayed. If it's a simple jerk of the head in response to definite contact but slightly exaggerated, that's a lot less severe than jerking your head out of nowhere in an attempt to draw a foul on absolutely no contact. In the former, a foul might very well have been called regardless of the overreaction, but it wouldn't have been called in the latter.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

The Clippers would have swept these dirty memphis chumps already if the officiating was not so ridiculous. These refs need to be fired..it's embarrassing.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

I've been officiating games for about six years now, and 90% of the time a defenders arm swings up like that trying to fight around a screen, its called a foul. Just like the majority of the time, a defender swiping down to take the ball away from a driving player, is called a foul as well.
    Little league != NBA

That's not a foul, especially in the Playoffs and the way this game was officiated.

Ok so the highfive was a totally stupid reason for a technical.
    But in reference to other gifs .... goddam teh clippers flop alot.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by REACTION
    It's a combination of the two that determines the severity of the flop to me; the amount of contact, and the sort of reaction displayed. If it's a simple jerk of the head in response to definite contact but slightly exaggerated, that's a lot less severe than jerking your head out of nowhere in an attempt to draw a foul on absolutely no contact. In the former, a foul might very well have been called regardless of the overreaction, but it wouldn't have been called in the latter.
    Yeah I'm with you here. I cannot stand fake hit/falls (where absolutely zero contact is present) and I feel just as upset with fake injuries. On the other hand, in many occasions, I'm okay with the exaggeration of contact when clear fouls are taking place. However, there's a line to that type of maneuver as well.

I have a hard time painting all of these interactions with a broad stroke. I'd say I actually don't mind the vast majority of exaggerations, where it's a slight over-response to the opposition committing a clear foul. In many of those cases my thought is if the opposition didn't commit a foul in the first place, there'd be no reason for their counterpart to try and showcase their illegal actions. But again, even in those cases, there's always limits and exceptions. I just happen to reserve most of my displeasure for the fake zero-contact falls, fake injuries, and extreme overreactions to small contact (like Baron Davis against Mehmet Okur: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdERYOtqsg).