Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Top 3 Power Forwards of All-Time

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Butler is a question mark. We are obviously going to for sure sign Chandler. I'm not sure if we will be able to afford Butler. Which makes it even worse that we didn't trade him at the deadline.

Obviously I'm not complaining because we have had a great run, but we sure could use a little bit better option other than stevenson/peja. It certainly wouldn't have hurt.

And we have to sign Barea as well. Not sure we keep him. Which truthfully will be fine because there really isn't room for both roddy and barea. Roddy just has to prove he's worth it this summer or we need to trade him.

Our team could look a little different. Butler/Stevenson/Barea could all be gone depending on what happens. Chandler is a lock to be signed though. No way Cuban lets him go. People in Dallas love him and he's been everything we've asked for and more.
    Oh I didn't really factor in any of their contract situations.. didn't know those guys were FAs. Yeah Cuban will definitely retain Chandler, but I wonder if they'll try to shed Haywood to get a better piece. He's serviceable and I'm sure a lot of teams could use him.. but damn his contract is pretty big for a 32 y/o.

Dr J has always been difficult to rank because people don't know how much weight they should place on his ABA career (3 MVPs 2 titles). I haven't watched enough footage of him to have a strong opinion of him either way

And Dirk overrating continues No way he is better than any of Top4 PFs, was last night fantastic? Sure, but still not as good as better performances in the Playoffs by prime Timmy, KG, Malone or Barkley. Plus 3 of those play defense, with KG and Duncan way beyond Dirk's capability.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Oh I didn't really factor in any of their contract situations.. didn't know those guys were FAs. Yeah Cuban will definitely retain Chandler, but I wonder if they'll try to shed Haywood to get a better piece. He's serviceable and I'm sure a lot of teams could use him.. but damn his contract is pretty big for a 32 y/o.

Dr J has always been difficult to rank because people don't know how much weight they should place on his ABA career (3 MVPs 2 titles). I haven't watched enough footage of him to have a strong opinion of him either way
    We are stuck with Haywood. Nobody is taking on that contract. Which is fine I guess.....he's played well enough.

It will be interesting to see if we can get butler and barea a little cheaper. Will those guys have a desire to stay? or will a guy like barea want to play more minutes on a team and make more money?

its an interesting issue with barea and roddy.

stevenson will be gone i bet. and thats fine with roddy and brewer getting more burn.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-24-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    And Dirk overrating continues No way he is better than any of Top4 PFs, was last night fantastic? Sure, but still not as good as better performances in the Playoffs by prime Timmy, KG, Malone or Barkley. Plus 3 of those play defense, with KG and Duncan way beyond Dirk's capability.
    I disagree with your "way beyond' stuff....

But I don't think anyone with a brain ranks Dirk over Duncan/KG/Barkley/Pettit/Malone yet.

But the "way beyond" talk with guys like KG needs to stop. Its simply not true. Peak? Yep. Overall? Nope.

National High School Star

*Only counting the general current era (1975 or so and beyond). Bob Pettit was beasting at 31 ppg and 18 rpg but honestly we have no way to compare him to today's players. He was 6'9 and 205...who knows how he would of done today.

Tim Duncan
    2x MVP
    4X NBA Champion
    3X NBA Finals MVP
    Best statistical season
    13X ALL NBA (9x First)
    13X ALL Defense (8X First)
    Peak: 23.3 ppg, 12.9 rpg, 3.9 apg, 2.9 bpg
    *Notes: Best interior post game. Controlled the interior/paint on the defensive side the best out of all candidates. Was a willing passer, and part of a cohesive unit. Free throw shooting is his biggest weakness.

Kevin Garnett
    1x MVP
    1X NBA Champion
    1X Defensive player of the year
    9X ALL NBA (4X First)
    11X ALL Defensive (9X First)
    Peak: 24.2 ppg, 13.9 rpg, 5.0 apg, 1.5 spg, 2.2 bpg
    Notes: Statistically, had the best peak year. Was an absolute monster on the offensive and defensive end. Could score in a range of ways, and controlled the paint with his intensity and rebounding. A vocal, albeit annoying, leader. Only flaw is his ability to dominate and be a back down post player. Most shots come from outside the key except offensive rebound put backs. At his peak, was a one man franchise.

Charles Barkley
    1x MVP
    10X NBA ALL NBA (5x First)
    Peak: 25.6 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 5.1 apg, 1.6 spg, 1.0 bpg
    *Notes: Was the most offensively gifted of all the players. Could literally grab the board, go the length off the floor and finish with ease. At his peak was a one man wrecking crew. Could play inside and outside. Wreaked havoc with his offensive rebounding. Flaws were just consistency and leading his team to victory. Not 'stable' as a leader. Defensively was average, except when focused.

Karl Malone
    2X NBA MVP
    13X All NBA (11X First)
    4X All Defensive (3X First)
    Peak: 27.4 ppg, 9.9 rpg, 4.5 apg, 1.4 spg, .6 bpg
    Notes: Offensively could score in a variety of ways and had very active hands as a defender. Set brutal screens and was the most efficient pick and roll player of the generation. Flaws; couldn't deliver on Sundays. Had the whole package, but always seemed to just not have that extra gear to go to in the clutch.

Dirk Nowitzki
    1X NBA MVP
    11X All NBA (4X First)
    Fiba World Champion MVO, 7x Euro player of the year
    Peak: 26.6 ppg, 9.0 rpg, 2.8 apg, .7 spg, 1.0 bpg
    Notes: One of the best midrange, deep range, free throw shooters of all time. Could score from either block, anywhere on the court. Has significantly improved spinning away and driving to the rim, pump fakes etc. Has been consistently a great playoff performer but has been the victim of some of the most embarrassing losses in playoff history. Current playoff run is the stuff of legends, and will have cemented a top 5 generational pf status if he can get to the finals again. Flaws, average defender and average rebounder for his size.

He was 6'9 and 205...who knows how he would of done today.

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA
    - Terry Pluto

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA

Tall Tales: The Glory Years of the NBA
    - Terry Pluto

Interesting...i just went by what Wikipedia had him listed at. Good to know =)

I usually hit open layups twintowers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SavageMode
    The Order should actually be.

1. Dirk
    2.KG/Duncan

k thnx.
    Give me a break
    1.Duncan

2.Kg
    3.Dirk

Banned

at least you got 1 of 3 right,

Duncan
    Barkley
    Malone in no particular order

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Duncan
    barkley
    malone
    pettit
    kg and dirk

Yes Dirk is getting overrated but isn't it great to see him get his due.. He isn't on par with duncan, barkley and malone in my opinion.. But he can reach kg and pettit... Only problem with Dirk is that he has gone down too many times in the first round.. Those LOSSES won't be overlooked even if he wins a title this season.. But he is making a mark as one of the greatest scorers in playoff history.. So efficient and so darn clutch... WOW.. There is no debating who the most clutch player is anymore... Dirk is the most clutch player whether he wins a title or not...

1. Duncan
    2. Barkley
    3. K. Malone
    4. B. Pettit
    5. Kevin Garnett
    6. Dirk Nowitzki

Duncan
    Pettit
    Garnett
    Barkley
    Malone
    Dirk
    Hayes
    McHale

That's where I am at now. I've swapped McHale and Hayes a few times. Dirk made a big jump the last two years. He just consistently produces on offense, wins 50 games every year and now he may be on his way to his second Finals appearance as a sole superstar. I could see him taking the #2 spot all-time when all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by G.O.A.T
    Duncan
    Pettit
    Garnett
    Barkley
    Malone
    Dirk
    Hayes
    McHale

That's where I am at now. I've swapped McHale and Hayes a few times. Dirk made a big jump the last two years. He just consistently produces on offense, wins 50 games every year and now he may be on his way to his second Finals appearance as a sole superstar. I could see him taking the #2 spot all-time when all is said and done.

I have McHale over Hayes. I'd love to hear your take on that when you have time.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 05-24-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BarberSchool
    You're all insane.

Malone and Barkley would slaughter Nowitzki and KG.
    Too strong.
    without a doubt.
    people just don't remember how athletic those guys were in 88-90.
    they also forget that they ran the court like small forwards and played fastbreaks situations.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Only problem with Dirk is that he has gone down too many times in the first round.. Those LOSSES won't be overlooked even if he wins a title this season..
    I think people will forget most of it.

The Jazz and Malone were swept by a 43 win Golden State team in the first round in '89 and lost the do-or-die game five at home vs. Phoenix in the first round the next year. In 1995 they won 60 games and lost in the first round.

People forget over time.