Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

Default Allen Iverson takes leave from Grizzlies for personal issue. Will he return? Retire?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4631552

LOS ANGELES -- Even Allen Iverson is worried whether his tumultuous debut week with the Memphis Grizzlies has poisoned his relationship with another coach.

Iverson came off the bench for Memphis for the third straight game Friday night, scoring eight points in 22 minutes during the Grizzlies' 114-98 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The 10-time All-Star says he has no interest in being a reserve or playing for a rebuilding team, and he immediately made his displeasure public with several barbed comments in the days following his season debut Monday.

Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins says he understands his new veteran guard's perspective, but even Iverson thinks the two are off to a rocky start.

"I think that's probably the worst part of all this," Iverson said Friday. "That while all this is going on, we have never talked to each other. That's probably why it's at this point right now. We've just never had a conversation, so it's probably going to always be hard for me and him to see eye-to-eye, because we've never even talked to each other. Obviously that's what you do if you're trying to accomplish the same goal."

Before and after the Grizzlies' fourth straight loss, Iverson showed bemused frustration at the trouble his words have caused since he returned from a torn right hamstring. Yet he doesn't back down from them: The Answer wants to start, and he also insists nobody told him the Grizzlies would be rebuilding after a 24-58 season.

And Iverson, who was passed Kobe Bryant for 16th place on the NBA's career scoring list Friday night, apparently doesn't feel it's his job to figure out a role in which he can help the Grizzlies.

"I'm not trying to figure out how to contribute to no team," Iverson said. "I contribute to a team by just playing. That's it. I don't have to figure it out. Obviously, they signed me for a reason. They've been watching me play this game for 13 years, and they know what I do on the basketball court, so I don't have to figure out how I'm going to play or anything like that. I just go out and play basketball."

Iverson believes his comments have caused a stir mostly because of his long history of provocative opinions and actions, from his infamous disdain for practice to a few lesser stirs in Denver and Detroit last season.

"When I hear anything about the Memphis Grizzlies, I don't hear you guys [media] talk about anything other than the situation with me coming off the bench," Iverson said. "I mean, there's got to be something else with this team to talk about besides that. But I guess that sells a lot better than anything else when it comes to this team."

Before the game, Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley shook hands with Iverson in the locker room Friday night and could be heard chatting about plans for a meeting with the veteran guard.

Heisley, who flew into Los Angeles earlier in the day, backed Hollins in the perceived dispute this week, saying the coach would handle the Grizzlies' rotation and calling Iverson's comments "inappropriate," according to The Commercial Appeal.

"Do I say all the right things all the time? I doubt it," Iverson said. "But the ultimate goal is to win games. That's the only thing it's about."

Hollins refused to speak about Iverson earlier in the week, but said Friday he has no problem with Iverson's pointed words. He also doesn't intend to have a special chat with Iverson.

"Every player has his opinion of his self-worth and what he expects, but I have to coach the whole team," Hollins said. "There's no need to talk to A.I. He's a competitor, and we're going to be fine. ... He has a right to say what he wants to say, and I have a right to say what I want."

Iverson got his first game action with the Grizzlies on Monday night in Sacramento, and he played 27 minutes off the bench against Golden State on Wednesday. Iverson entered Friday's game with 6:36 left in the first quarter, but played sparingly and spent much of the night yapping at the officials from the bench with a towel over his head.

"It's something that I never did in my life, so obviously it's a big adjustment," Iverson said of coming off the bench.

Memphis has one of the NBA's most intriguing young backcourts with Mike Conley and O.J. Mayo, but that talent hasn't translated into many victories. The Grizzlies have endured three straight losing seasons with 68 total victories following three straight trips to the playoffs.

Hollins realizes Iverson's role easily could change depending on injuries and the starters' effectiveness, but he doesn't seem inclined to promise a starting job to Iverson or any player.

"Roles change, positions change," Hollins said. "He's a prideful person that believes in himself. Every player wants to play a starting role, and a player of his caliber especially.

Knicks 2010 Champs

Default Re: Iverson :: It's going be hard to see eye to eye with the coach

What a terrible coach. But to be fair. I don't think anyone's coached 4 cancers all on the same team (3 on the starting lineup).

What an idiot. Like the article says, what the hell did he think he was signing up for? If Iverson says he did not know the grizzlies were rebuilding he is either retarded or flat our lying. I cant wait until next year when this clown is forced into retirement.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Over/under games until he demands a trade - 19.5

I gotta say props to Lionel Hollins for sticking to his guns here. I'm sorry but the signing made zero sense to me, other than maybe to get bums on seats and sell some extra jerseys, but from a basketball standpoint? I just can't figure it out.

The 10-time All-Star says he has no interest in being a reserve or playing for a rebuilding team, and he immediately made his displeasure public with several barbed comments in the days following his season debut Monday.
    The Answer wants to start, and he also insists nobody told him the Grizzlies would be rebuilding after a 24-58 season.
    I'm sorry AI, but C'MON SON. No disrespect to any Grizzlies fans here, but a 24-58 team last season, that has changed very little other than Zach Randolph and a few young rookies, will not be in contention for a championship. It's a young team, with some growing pains at the moment. Not rebuilding? Jesus AI...c'mon now.

Or did/does AI believe he would single handedly elevate them into elite status with the Lakers and co if he's given his 40+ minutes he wants?

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Over/under games until he demands a trade - 19.5
    under (ask to be released)

I'm Tired Of Ai

Quote Originally Posted by Maga_1
    I'm Tired Of Ai
    Me too. I am done with Allen Iverson. He is no longer one of my favorite players ever. I am over him now.

I give credit to the coach. It takes a lot to stand your ground and be the actual coach of the team. Too often are coaches manipulated and forced to change their game plan. But he is making a point here. The players are not above the coach. Which is something all the players must understand if they are to have a successful season. I think people around the league have had enough of his crap. He is going to find it very difficult to get a job next season. AI does not respect the team. And he can talk about wanting to win all he wants. If he is really focused on winning, he will just do what he is told to do and not complain to cause a rift in the locker room.

You don't have to agree with the coach but any successful team needs you to follow their lead and be on the same page. When you don't do this, you are killing your team before they get on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
    What an idiot. Like the article says, what the hell did he think he was signing up for? If Iverson says he did not know the grizzlies were rebuilding he is either retarded or flat our lying. I cant wait until next year when this clown is forced into retirement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0l3CB_oTo

He explained what he felt he was coming to Memphis for. He explains the way he thinks which differs from most people. Opening question "AI what are your expectations with the Grizzlies?" and his reply? To win, simple as that. He goes on to say when people talk about the Grizzlies that they claim just getting to the playoffs is enough/a successful season. AI way of thinkin is he wouldnt have signed there if he felt that way. Sign there just to make the playoffs and be satisfied. His goals are alot bigger.

He doesnt want to come off the bench.
    He doesnt want to be a role player.
    He doesnt want to sit and watch critical moments in a game.

Why? Because AI full of pride feels at 34 he is capable of being a starter and helping a team win. He doesnt feel he is at a point where he needs to take on a "role" isolated to 1 thing and be utilized whenever a situation calls for it. He doesnt want to come off the bench various times in a game. He wants to start. He wants to win. Fans dont get that because you have your minds made up what kind of player AI is. Just like when he was 26 and some said by 30-31 he will be a shell of himself. They were proven wrong. Now at 34, AI is nothing more than Bobby Jackson. AI has lost some speed because he doesnt get to the lane/basket as quick as he used too thus drawing contact/fouls. And defensively cant recover vs quicker PGs. But he isnt going to watch Ray Allen start at SG and he come off the bench in spot duty or whenever the coach decides to put him in.

While fans can disagree with AI feelings. Atleast acknowledge and understand where he is coming from. You guys FAIL to do that. He Philly on bad terms avg 43mpg. He went to Denver and STARTED avg 42mpg 25ppg 7ast 3rb and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Following season in Denver he STARTED every game (82 out of 82) avg 42mpg 26ppg 7apg 3rbs and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Now keep in mind AI was 31 and 32yrs old. He's 34yrs old now.

Are you with me? You take those numbers across the board and ask yourself. As a reasonable fan can I expect a guy whose been a starter his entire career avg over 40mpg that recently his stint in Denver produced that to suddenly become a role player and take on a specific "role"? Can I see any starting player in the NBA today suddenly taking over such a role overnight? You guys severely underestimate the pride these guys have. And saying AI should just swallow his pride after i laid out what he just did? Its comical to say the least. I doubt you in his shoes would be so willing to become a damn role player off the bench.

But I know I know everyone is Mr. Rogers and its a beautiful day in the neighborhood right? Lets atleast be realistic. You dont have to agree with every word AI says but atleast when you speak on the dude say "I understand where he is coming from". Alot of people dont, some do and just dont like the guy so they refuse to acknowledge it. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would EVER come off the damn bench. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would ever be a role player. I know I knoqw, Kobe at 34 wouldnt have lost ANYTHING. I dont even see Kobe at 36 accepting a similar role (not a starter, off the bench pick a role Bean). And some fans would probably side with Kobe. Why? Because in thier eyes he hasnt lost anything. Bias? Telling the truth? Anyones guess.

I'm sure someones counter is Kobe helps teams win at 34, 36yrs of age whereas AI is a cancer no one found a cure for and hurts teams. Gotcha. I got all that. Just like I got when AI at 31 would be a shell of himself some fans said (they faces are on milk cartons).

You're not gonna find many players in the NBA swallowing thier pride. I bet you Ray Allen would not sit with his hands folded on the Memphis bench. I bet you Vince Carter wouldnt. Mike Bibby wouldnt. Andre Miller wouldnt. Yanno Mr. Team player, makes everyone better. Yeah him. He's not coming off the bench nor is he finding a "role" while sitting on it either. Baron Davis wouldnt allow the Clippers to let him come off the bench nor would he on Memphis. I mean why cant you sell Baron the idea that since 04-05 season he has played more than 68gms 1 time? how about you point him to the nearest injury report and how his name dominates it? Leads the league in hurts. So coming off the bench to preserve himself would be a nice idea. Even play some SG because well Baron your efficiency has been shyt.

Or how about Wash coming to Gilbert and saying we win with you not starting. The unit looks cohesive and it ball movement is seen. So you can be our 6th man. Yeah Gilbert would totally eat that up.

But im willing to bet fans here can give an argument to why those names i listed have a valid gripe. But cant understand why AI has issues with becoming a role player in Memphis. It cant be Mike Conley a player not better than AI is starting over him? A guy taken so high in the draft my noe is currently bleeding. Yet he has proven what? To give fantasy owners pts near seasons end? Whoa!

Wake up.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

it's probably going to always be hard for me and him to see eye-to-eye
    Should be pretty easy since Iverson will be sitting on the bench at the coach's level.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0l3CB_oTo

He explained what he felt he was coming to Memphis for. He explains the way he thinks which differs from most people. Opening question "AI what are your expectations with the Grizzlies?" and his reply? To win, simple as that. He goes on to say when people talk about the Grizzlies that they claim just getting to the playoffs is enough/a successful season. AI way of thinkin is he wouldnt have signed there if he felt that way. Sign there just to make the playoffs and be satisfied. His goals are alot bigger.

Why? Because AI full of pride feels at 34 he is capable of being a starter and helping a team win. He doesnt feel he is at a point where he needs to take on a "role" isolated to 1 thing and be utilized whenever a situation calls for it. He doesnt want to come off the bench various times in a game. He wants to start. He wants to win. Fans dont get that because you have your minds made up what kind of player AI is. Just like when he was 26 and some said by 30-31 he will be a shell of himself. They were proven wrong. Now at 34, AI is nothing more than Bobby Jackson. AI has lost some speed because he doesnt get to the lane/basket as quick as he used too thus drawing contact/fouls. And defensively cant recover vs quicker PGs. But he isnt going to watch Ray Allen start at SG and he come off the bench in spot duty or whenever the coach decides to put him in.

While fans can disagree with AI feelings. Atleast acknowledge and understand where he is coming from. You guys FAIL to do that. He Philly on bad terms avg 43mpg. He went to Denver and STARTED avg 42mpg 25ppg 7ast 3rb and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Following season in Denver he STARTED every game (82 out of 82) avg 42mpg 26ppg 7apg 3rbs and was efficient doing something alot of whiny bball fans knock him for. Now keep in mind AI was 31 and 32yrs old. He's 34yrs old now.

Are you with me? You take those numbers across the board and ask yourself. As a reasonable fan can I expect a guy whose been a starter his entire career avg over 40mpg that recently his stint in Denver produced that to suddenly become a role player and take on a specific "role"? Can I see any starting player in the NBA today suddenly taking over such a role overnight? You guys severely underestimate the pride these guys have. And saying AI should just swallow his pride after i laid out what he just did? Its comical to say the least. I doubt you in his shoes would be so willing to become a damn role player off the bench.

But I know I know everyone is Mr. Rogers and its a beautiful day in the neighborhood right? Lets atleast be realistic. You dont have to agree with every word AI says but atleast when you speak on the dude say "I understand where he is coming from". Alot of people dont, some do and just dont like the guy so they refuse to acknowledge it. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would EVER come off the damn bench. I dont think Kobe Bryant at 34 would ever be a role player. I know I knoqw, Kobe at 34 wouldnt have lost ANYTHING. I dont even see Kobe at 36 accepting a similar role (not a starter, off the bench pick a role Bean). And some fans would probably side with Kobe. Why? Because in thier eyes he hasnt lost anything. Bias? Telling the truth? Anyones guess.

I'm sure someones counter is Kobe helps teams win at 34, 36yrs of age whereas AI is a cancer no one found a cure for and hurts teams. Gotcha. I got all that. Just like I got when AI at 31 would be a shell of himself some fans said (they faces are on milk cartons).

You're not gonna find many players in the NBA swallowing thier pride. I bet you Ray Allen would not sit with his hands folded on the Memphis bench. I bet you Vince Carter wouldnt. Mike Bibby wouldnt. Andre Miller wouldnt. Yanno Mr. Team player, makes everyone better. Yeah him. He's not coming off the bench nor is he finding a "role" while sitting on it either. Baron Davis wouldnt allow the Clippers to let him come off the bench nor would he on Memphis. I mean why cant you sell Baron the idea that since 04-05 season he has played more than 68gms 1 time? how about you point him to the nearest injury report and how his name dominates it? Leads the league in hurts. So coming off the bench to preserve himself would be a nice idea. Even play some SG because well Baron your efficiency has been shyt.

Or how about Wash coming to Gilbert and saying we win with you not starting. The unit looks cohesive and it ball movement is seen. So you can be our 6th man. Yeah Gilbert would totally eat that up.

But im willing to bet fans here can give an argument to why those names i listed have a valid gripe. But cant understand why AI has issues with becoming a role player in Memphis. It cant be Mike Conley a player not better than AI is starting over him? A guy taken so high in the draft my noe is currently bleeding. Yet he has proven what? To give fantasy owners pts near seasons end? Whoa!

Wake up.
    I'm not arguing at all but I'll take a stab at it. But let me first say that Lionel Hollins is one of the worst coaches ever in the league. If it weren't for Sidney Lowe he would be the worst.

First, Iverson pretty much missed all of training camp and the preseason due to not being signed then injury. As you know training camp is when you learn all of the plays and there's not a ton of time for catch up once the season begins. So Iverson's been back for two games. To me, it's not unreasonable that he's not starting. This isn't a coach for whom he's played for the last five years. This is a new team with a new coach and I think that any coach has to figure how to work him into the lineup.

Second, for Iverson to be effective he needs the ball in his hands most of the time. This isn't a knock on him, this is just how it is. He doesn't move well without the ball and he's certainly not a spot up shooter. That being said, at this point in his career teams aren't comfortable with him doing that. Especially teams that weren't built around him. Stats wise he had a nice year in Denver, but you have to realize why they let him go. He's just not a great team player. That's not bad it's just not his strength. It's difficult to develop younger players when he is dominating the ball so much. This isn't a secret. Why were there no GMs in the league lining up to sign him? Because they know how he plays. Again it's not bad, and has worked in the past but it's more difficult for him to come in as a free agent and then have a team figure out how they can use him instead of build around him from his early years. In addition he has always had a problem practicing and creates lots of distractions, some deserved some not deserved. I am not bashing him one bit. I am trying to explain what I think that the rest of the teams GMs are thinking about him. GMs will sign any player that they think can help their team. They don't give a **** about rep or whatever. That's why guys like JR Rider and Roy Tarpley could get shots after they'd done stuipd ****. The fact that no teams really wanted to sign him should tell everyone something.

...His goals are alot bigger.

Why? Because AI full of pride feels at 34 he is capable of being a starter and helping a team win. He doesnt feel he is at a point where he needs to take on a "role" isolated to 1 thing and be utilized whenever a situation calls for it. He doesnt want to come off the bench various times in a game. He wants to start. He wants to win. Fans dont get that because you have your minds made up what kind of player AI is...

That's a valid argument. But, AI has his mind made up, and that's immature.

He was a rookie once. He really can't grasp the significance of other young players developing their skills?

He's on MEM for a reason. His skill set didn't benefit the last two contenders he played for.

but you have to realize why they let him go. He's just not a great team player.
    They let him go because Karl wanted a ball distributing PG. He wanted one when he had Andre Miller. Billups was the perfect fit. A guy with range, solid defender and one who can run an offense distributing the ball in the process.

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

They let him go because Karl wanted a ball distributing PG. He wanted one when he had Andre Miller. Billups was the perfect fit. A guy with range, solid defender and one who can run an offense distributing the ball in the process.
    Right, but Miller has no range and isn't a good defender. Billups is more of a passer than AI but far from a prototypical PG. Now how about Detroit? And why were there no contenders waiting to sign him? Or any other teams for that matter?