Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-21-2015, 01:39 AM   #2941
Smoke117
Barstool Blues

Default Re: What are you reading?

Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:57 PM   #2942
irondarts

irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:53 PM   #2943
Shade8780
Grandmaster of Breasts

On to The Two Towers.

Hobbit and TFotR were fantastic. TFotR definitely dragged on a little too much at parts *cough* *cough* tom bombadil *cough*, but when it was good, it was f*cking great.

Altogether, I rate it: Gamgee/10.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #2944
ZeN
Szeth Szeth Vallano

ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:06 PM   #2945
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
On to The Two Towers.

Hobbit and TFotR were fantastic. TFotR definitely dragged on a little too much at parts *cough* *cough* tom bombadil *cough*, but when it was good, it was f*cking great.

Altogether, I rate it: Gamgee/10.

Agreed. The last chapter of Two Towers is one of the best in English literature imo.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #2946
Shade8780
Grandmaster of Breasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Agreed. The last chapter of Two Towers is one of the best in English literature imo.
I'm excited to read it. Fellowship was a LOT of walking and could get boring at parts, but from what I've heard, the pacing of Two Towers improves a lot.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #2947
ZeN
Szeth Szeth Vallano

Quote:
I'm excited to read it. Fellowship was a LOT of walking and could get boring at parts, but from what I've heard, the pacing of Two Towers improves a lot.
I barely got through Fellowship for the same reason. From what you guys say, I guess I should eventually give Two Towers a shot. Thankfully it's not as large as most modern fantasy doorstoppers.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #2948
SexSymbol
You are amazing

I'm reading your mom's sex journal, to remember all the good times I've had with her.
BANG SHAKALAKA
SexSymbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #2949
ZeN
Szeth Szeth Vallano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexSymbol
I'm reading your mom's sex journal, to remember all the good times I've had with her.
BANG SHAKALAKA
Old 04-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #2950
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

Fellowship is probably my least favorite of the books, but my favorite of the movies.

Those are actually one of the few books I've read multiple times. I read them once in HS for fun, one of very few things I read for fun at that point, and that was because I had to read The Hobbit, and liked it so much.

Then when I got to college, I struggled a bit with the amount of reading I had to do. So when I found a second lit course to fill my core requirements called The Inklings, that covered a handful of writers from that place and era who were all friends, it seemed like a no brainer, I could skimp on the reading at Tolkien. But I wound up reading them again. And then when the movies came out I read them all a third time.

And I love Tom Bombadil.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #2951
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Dear people without English as their first language and those educated in slave labor indoctrinitation camps loaded with teachers whose sole agenda is to transfer their life story and shove their various traumas down your throat, and where you could be clinically retarded and still pass with straight A's (i.e. our class of 2008.), Prior to REALLY REALLY REALLY reading a book, I'd really enjoy if you can take a quick look at the subsequent material, internalize them, and then become just a bit more conscious and a bit more slower when you embark on your literary journeys. Adding incense and listening to soft music helps enormously as well.

Having these questions circulate around your head will yield massive benfeits in both pleasure and appreciating what the author has to convey.

http://futureahead.org/files/documen...ead-A-Book.pdf

I
Quote:
. The First Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Finding What a Book Is about: What is the book about as a whole?
1 Classify the book according to kind and subject matter.
2 State what the whole book is about with the utmost brevity.
3 Enumerate its major parts in their order and relation, and outline these parts as you have outlined the whole.
4 Define the problem or problems the author has tried to solve.
II. The Second Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Interpreting a Book's Contents: What is being said in detail, and how?
5 Come to terms with the author by interpreting his key words.
6 Grasp the author’s leading propositions by dealing with his most important sentences.
7 Know the author’s arguments, by finding them in, or constructing them out of, sequences of sentences.
8 Determine which of his problems the author has solved, and which he has not; and of the latter, decide which the author knew he had failed to solve.
III. The Third Stage of Analytical Reading: Rules for Criticizing a Book as a Communication of Knowledge: Is it true? and What of it? A. General Maxims of Intellectual Etiquette
9 Do not begin criticism until you have completed your outline and your interpretation of the book. (Do not say you agree, disagree, or suspend judgment, until you can say “I understand.") 10 Do not disagree disputatiously or contentiously.
11 Demonstrate that you recognize the difference between knowledge and mere personal opinion by presenting good reasons for any critical judgment you make. B. Special Criteria for Points of Criticism
12 Show wherein the author is uninformed.
13 Show wherein the author is misinformed.
14 Show wherein the author is illogical.
15 Show wherein the author's analysis or account is incomplete. Note: Of these last four, the first three are criteria for disagreement. Failing in all of these, you must agree, at least in part, although you may suspend judgment on the whole, in light of the last point.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #2952
ZeN
Szeth Szeth Vallano

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Dear people without English as their first language and those educated in slave labor indoctrinitation camps loaded with teachers whose sole agenda is to transfer their life story and shove their various traumas down your throat, and where you could be clinically retarded and still pass with straight A's (i.e. our class of 2008.), Prior to REALLY REALLY REALLY reading a book, I'd really enjoy if you can take a quick look at the subsequent material, internalize them, and then become just a bit more conscious and a bit more slower when you embark on your literary journeys. Adding incense and listening to soft music helps enormously as well.

Having these questions circulate around your head will yield massive benfeits in both pleasure and appreciating what the author has to convey.

http://futureahead.org/files/documen...ead-A-Book.pdf

I
No thanks. Me want be dumb.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: