Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Re: Your reaction to Lin leaving NY, as a fan of NY or not.

What impressed me about Lin more than anything was his composure during the entire thing.

The dude responded and played like a great vet would, and not just any great vet but a hall of fame vet. That type of shit is rare.

I don't think he'll consistently put up those great numbers, but he won't suck either, and he'll give us some great games from time to time, at least enough good games to keep himself from being a memory.

Sure teams will adjust to him, players will do the same, but guess what? so will he. He'll also improve on his weaknesses, I don't see why people are so down on the kid as tho players can't improve. I also don't get the hate, he seems like a humble dude that took advantage of a situation like any of us would. As to his departure from the Knicks, who truly knows what went down? Do ya'll seriously think he orchestrated the entire situation without his manager having any input?

I wish him the best of luck, I'm sure he'll be a good player in the league.

Banned

Don't have a problem with it because he wanted out by double-dipping the deal. Also, didn't his boy Landry get moved?

Do I think he deserved all that money? No.

Should people blame the Knicks by not matching? Nope, you don't do deals with a guy that double-dips you with another team.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by General
    I wanted him to stay in NY. It would have been better for the league to have Lin in a big market (LA, NY big). If Howard doesn't end up in Houston the only national TV game we'll see Lin in will be when he plays against the Knicks.
    Almost every game he plays will be on here. Only Kobe can compare!

Isn't it pointless to include
    "NY fan or not"

Because there's no other option.
    You either are or are not a knick fan.

never gonna watch the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king rockets with or without Lin or even Howard........ ..........new york should have kept him....
    not a knicks fan.........but i like to see melo, amare and Lin play ball.........

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    never gonna watch the fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]king rockets with or without Lin or even Howard........ ..........new york should have kept him....
    not a knicks fan.........but i like to see melo, amare and Lin play ball.........
    You wouldn't have.
    You would have seen Lin brought the ball up, pass it to Melo. Melo holds the ball for 3 seconds, jab step, then shoots it. All game long.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    My view: he was very, very, appreciated here in NY by the majority of the fans and players. He was easily marketed not just by his performances but by his race. He played with

Heart
    Passion
    Energy
    Love

He gave it his 100 on the court. He was real bad his first time playing, I'm not talking about when he started. He was amazing when he became a starter.

But let's talk about why he left and how. I don't care that he left, I care that he did his part and did what any one of us may have done, cash and pushing his value worth.

There's rumors going around he got an offer sheet from Houston, comes back to NY, NY agrees to match, and he goes back to Houston, upgrades his contract.

There's also rumors going around Dolan was pissed about that, thus not resigning because of that and tax.

But beside the fact he left, he joins the team that cuts him, and the team that cuts him throws a big contract at him. Has this ever happened before? What are your thoughts?
    The whole "Linsanity" thing was a bunch of media hype, nothing more. If it was more than that, NY would've tried harder to keep him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    The whole "Linsanity" thing was a bunch of media hype, nothing more. If it was more than that, NY would've tried harder to keep him.
    Because Dolan has always been great GM with great decision making.

NBA Superstar

It was dumb, briefly I was sucked into the value of Felton and the logic that line of reasoning offers, but NYK has never been shy about throwing money around, why stop now?

Lin is their most popular player and makes the Knicks must see TV for almost 1/4 of the globe, not just NYC.

He is far and away the biggest male role model since Bruce Lee to 1.4 billion Chinese and Taiwanese, and there are more than 400,000 of them living in NYC (a greater population than the metro area of a lot of small market teams).

The $35 million extra tax would EASILY be absorbed by TV rights in Asia, merchandise, tours etc... Imagine the Knicks opening the season with games in Taipei and Shanghai, that would be as big as the world cup, check that, probably bigger, I know because I am in both those countries a lot and see the grass roots effect he has had, cab drivers with his picture hanging from the rearview, old ladies talking about him, 'New York 17' tee-shirt jerseys packing every crosswalk.

Maybe his injury has limited him and the Knicks are smart, but I doubt that, goes against their track record, in reality they are dumb and made an historically dumb decision.

elle ohh effin elle.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    It was dumb, briefly I was sucked into the value of Felton and the logic that line of reasoning offers, but NYK has never been shy about throwing money around, why stop now?

Lin is their most popular player and makes the Knicks must see TV for almost 1/4 of the globe, not just NYC.

He is far and away the biggest male role model since Bruce Lee to 1.4 billion Chinese and Taiwanese, and there are more than 400,000 of them living in NYC (a greater population than the metro area of a lot of small market teams).

The $35 million extra tax would EASILY be absorbed by TV rights in Asia, merchandise, tours etc... Imagine the Knicks opening the season with games in Taipei and Shanghai, that would be as big as the world cup, check that, probably bigger, I know because I am in both those countries a lot and see the grass roots effect he has had, cab drivers with his picture hanging from the rearview, old ladies talking about him, 'New York 17' tee-shirt jerseys packing every crosswalk.

Maybe his injury has limited him and the Knicks are smart, but I doubt that, goes against their track record, in reality they are dumb and made an historically dumb decision.

elle ohh effin elle.

Knicks should hire you brother

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

As a basketball fan, I'd much rather Lin start off fresh in a new organization where he can grow with a young nucleus, as opposed to the trio of boneheads on the Knicks.

Lin only wanted the money,he actually wanted it so much that he back stabbed the Knicks by renegotiating the offer sheet with the Rockets.

Bye bye Lin,I won't miss you.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Personally I think Amare is a black hole.
    All seven or eight shots he takes a game, huh?

NBA rookie of the year

The problem isn't so much Lin leaving as it is how his leaving is emblematic of the continued ineptitude that currently defines the franchise and will keep the Knicks from seriously contending for the duration of James Dolan's tenure as owner (and unfortunately for us Knicks fans, he isn't exactly Al Davis old either).

The way I see it, the only party that really lost out was Jeremy Lin himself.

Jeremy Lin was set to pickup a pretty decent payday in his 3rd year that the Knicks would've matched and was going to get that same pay day in year 4. He would've gotten more hype, more endorsements, more publicity playing for the Knicks that would've more than made up for the additional money he was offered in the 3yr/25mil deal, especially considering the Knicks are a competitive team and Houston is really down. Hell if he played well, I don't doubt he'd have had a Broadway play in his honor by the end of his deal. Jeremy is a fine talent, but very raw especially for the point guard position, and the Knicks brought in the perfect mentor for Jeremy Lin to develop under as a point guard in Jason Kidd. Which is an opportunity missed that I'm sure he'll regret as time goes on.

I don't think Houston made any mistake. They got, what I'm sure will be a pretty good player in Lin. Jeremy has fine qualities in that he can get into the paint and make things happen, has great composure also in big moments. He will also re-open the Asian market to Houston. He still has a lot to learn about not only playing in the NBA, but his position; and Jeremy Lin's ceiling is a poor man's Tony Parker, going to a team where the best player is Kevin Martin and after he goes there the best player will likely still be Kevin Martin.

With a PG rotation of Jason Kidd and Raymond Felton, the Knicks have a rather large improvement in what they had last year. I mean obviously it would be nice if Felton can show he could be closer to the point guard he was previously in New York and he comes into camp in shape, but even if all he provides is a steady 13 and 6-7assists, along with Kidd and the production and intangibles he provides the Knicks have a fine pg rotation.

Felton may not put up the numbers Lin puts up, but I have little doubt that Felton is a better POINT GUARD as in he knows where guys are supposed to be and can organize an offense aka run a play; bring the ball up court against the press; Can limit turnovers and play controlled while still pushing the pace, and better defend the position. Also in a complimentary role to Melo/Amare I think he fits that role better for this team than a Jeremy Lin who still is trying to find his role.

However, if I were a Knicks executive, I would've never allowed Jeremy to go without getting something in return. I would've signed him, playing him as a combo guard in rotation with Felton and Kidd and maybe traded him next summer. I believe the Knicks will really show if this is a good move or bad move in how they fix their 2 guard position, because they just allowed a strong opportunity to be versatile in the backcourt and add depth off the bench go by not signing Lin.