Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: Amare Stoudemire agrees to deal with Knicks

does anyone really think a lebron/amare combo guarantees a championship? don't think so. lebron was just playing with a stacked 60+ win team with two 20 ppg scorers and couldn't get to the eastern finals. with the possibility of a "super" team and the celtics and magic still in the mix, the knicks would have to sign and trade lee still.

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    So they gave amare 20 mil a year

How much does that leave them with to sign another FA?

Can they still sign Lebreezy?I don't hink Lebreezy will want less salary than Amare tbh
    The had enough for two max contracts.

So now ther is one slot left.

And 12 mil of cap next season ciurtesy of Eddy Curry.

No other team has that luxury.

Did the Knicks really just tank 2 years for Amare?

Heh, I guess it could be worse. They could be paying Joe Johnson the max

Amare at least fills a need. If David Lee can look like a star playing PF for the Knicks, Amare will get MVP votes next year!

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    Thx konex you and you curse just guaranteed NY will get also either Lebron or wade.

Banned

Knicks = where careers go to die.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
    Thx konex you and you curse just guaranteed NY will get also either Lebron or wade.

Heh, I guess it could be worse. They could be paying Joe Johnson the max

Amare at least fills a need. If David Lee can look like a star playing PF for the Knicks, Amare will get MVP votes next year!
    They did a lot worse than just tank...

They have how man picks in the nexy 5 years? they traded their damn lotto pick to help get rid of cap that just may turn into amare and a role player.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    Knicks = where careers go to die.
    [COLOR="Navy"]Oak, King, Spree, Houston, Grand ma ma, Mason, Starks, Derek Anderson, Zach, Crawford etc all would disagree...
    [/COLOR]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Navy"]Oak, King, Spree, Houston, Grand ma ma, Mason, Starks, Derek Anderson, Zach, Crawford etc all would disagree...
    [/COLOR]
    The hall of fame would agree with me.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogo
    The hall of fame would agree with me.
    [COLOR="Navy"]So if every player that has ever played for a Franchise dont make the hall of fame their career died.... your logic and reach escapes me and you should stop now.

one has nothing to do with the other[/COLOR]

I highly doubt they would do this deal without knowing something that everyone else doesn't, whether it be a imminent deal for a Tony Parker, Carmelo or Lebron James.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    They did a lot worse than just tank...

They have how man picks in the nexy 5 years? they traded their damn lotto pick to help get rid of cap that just may turn into amare and a role player.
    Are you really that jealous of the Knicks? We had a shit roster for the past 6 seasons and we've been trying to rebuild and get rid of these cancers.. Because we were so god damn successful with them. We only traded one lotto pick, this years pick was traded back in 2004.. We also have tons of possibilities with our cap. We can go after LBJ and other FA's, do sign and trade and aquire players like Parker, Ellis, Paul, Jefferson, etc or we just wait till next year and sign Carmelo Anthony and/or Chris Paul

I understand if your mad cause your team will still suck. The Nets were a 12 ****ing win team.. They aren't going to get nobody and will have the same shitty team. Your team is shit, and you need Brooklyn/Jay Z to save your franchise.

No - they cleared cap room for the opportunity to sign 2 star players.

Not airballing my layups anymore BC Eagle's Avatar

The first splash of the vaunted 2010 free agent class has come.

I've got mixed feelings on this signing from the Knicks perspective. Granted, they had to make some kind of move this post-season, and getting Amar'e gives them a front court presence, and makes somewhat of a splash.

No question, it's a good first step. However, unless they attach his signing to another acquisition, and upgrade their PG position, it's going to be a letdown post-season for New York.

The pros and cons:

Pros

When healthy and motivated, there isn't a big man in the game who is better.. And yes, I include Bosh in that mix. I've seen Stoudemire completely dominate games, including a handful of playoff series' where he was the best player on the court by a far margin.

His familiarity with Mike D'Antoni's offense will be a huge plus. D'Antoni will find ways to utilize his strengths, while maxing his glaring weaknesses.

He's still growing, and I don't think he's truly peaked yet. Granted, there's a small window between his full peak and where he is now, but there's still some upside there in my opinion.

On talent, he's brimming with it. I'd say he's easily the best big man the Knicks have had since Oakley.

Cons

Motivation can be an issue with him. When he gets a bug up his ass, he's a pain to deal with, and gives a moderate/ subpar effort. The fact that he doesn't always play up to his potential is a bit of a red flag.

Stoudemire isn't exactly the most stable lockerroom presence. On a moderately young team, he's not going to do any favors for them inflentuentially. The concept of team leadership is lost on him, and it's a trait I don't forsee him ever developing.

His ego is huge, but frail. If he ever feels like he's not the focal point of the offense, he'll ***** and sulk. Also, I can really see him get eaten alive by the New York fan base. He had a tough go at times with the Phoenix fan base, which is generally forgiving by nature. In New York, if you're not on top of your game at all times, you'll get swallowed alive. If you can't handle that kind of heat, it gets that much worse. Amar'e won't do well in that fan base. He's too mentally and emotionally frail.

Defense is non existent to him, He's got a better chance of developing team leadership skills or not melting in the New York media than he does of ever making a big defensive stand.

In a lot of ways, Amar'e needs to have a point guard who plays into his strengths. Currently, the Knicks don't have a guard who can deliver seamless passes, or who is quarterback like Steve Nash. I think Parker would be a great fit for that reason alone, because while he's not on that same distribution level as Nash, he's a same style and is willing to play the second option to him.

His injury history is worth keeping an eye on, specifically his knee. While he seems fully recovered from microfracture, there's still always the change of regeneration as he gets older by NBA standards.

I'm interested in seeing what the Knicks do next to accentuate this signing.

Hustle Loyalty Respect Knicks101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Navy"]So if every player that has ever played for a Franchise dont make the hall of fame their career died.... your logic and reach escapes me and you should stop now.

one has nothing to do with the other[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    Are you really that jealous of the Knicks? We had a shit roster for the past 6 seasons and we've been trying to rebuild and get rid of these cancers.. Because we were so god damn successful with them. We only traded one lotto pick, this years pick was traded back in 2004.. We also have tons of possibilities with our cap. We can go after LBJ and other FA's, do sign and trade and aquire players like Parker, Ellis, Paul, Jefferson, etc or we just wait till next year and sign Carmelo Anthony and/or Chris Paul

I understand if your mad cause your team will still suck. The Nets were a 12 ****ing win team.. They aren't going to get nobody and will have the same shitty team. Your team is shit, and you need Brooklyn/Jay Z to save your franchise.
    I think that he's talking about Jordan Hill.