Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Fazotronic's Avatar

Default Re: Most 45 point games in a month..

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    I don't care about how the media views a player. Why should anyone care about that?

Whatever. /Wiltbeingcontinuallyoverlookedmeltdown
    forget the media then. its completely ridiculous to see someone counting his own points and trying hard to get as many points as possible in a blowout game.

he would never get the opportunity to do that in today's game wich would result in far less impressive stats.

Quote Originally Posted by kshutts1
    There is a gigantic * missing.... WILT

Edit: Obviously they have the graphic saying "since the merger".. but who the hell cares about since/before the merger? Don't cherry-pick stats... just bad habits for everyone else to pick up.
    Counting stats since merger has been ESPN's/modern media's favorite toy for some years now.
    Basically, it translates to "since Wilt retired". It's a good tool to perpetrate the "weak era" myths.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazotronic
    forget the media then. its completely ridiculous to see someone counting his own points and trying hard to get as many points as possible in a blowout game.

he would never get the opportunity to do that in today's game wich would result in far less impressive stats.
    Are you serious? All modern superstars are very aware of their stats. Wilt would be just like them, nothing different.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    Wow is that for real? Crazy stuff, 6 less shots than those dudes.
    Yep, just checked it

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Are you serious? All modern superstars are very aware of their stats. Wilt would be just like them, nothing different.
    yea he would be just like them. and just like them, he would not be able to pad his stats in blowout games... what your point?

What about 46 point games?

yea he would be just like them. and just like them, he would not be able to pad his stats in blowout games... what your point?
    The point is, by knowing his stats, Wilt wasn't doing anything more "villainous" than what today's star players do, yet, some hypocritically accuse only him of being stat-aware.
    Wilt wasn't the only player back then would would play 46-48 minutes in blowout games, either. There have been games vs Russell when one team (usually Russell's) would win by a comfortable margin, yet Russell himself would play almost the whole game. Oscar, same thing, Lucas, same thing. Wilt was still the mpg leader, but wasn't the only one getting huge minutes.
    If anyone thinks this is cheating and can't bring about negative consequences, have today's players do the same and pad their own stats, nobody is barring them from doing this.
    When it comes to stat-padding, the NBA had always been stat-friendly. Wilt wouldn't be playing 46 mpg today, but he'd still find a way to pad his stats, like every other superstar does. In today's case, it would be called "competition at C".

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

kobe most prolific scorer in modern nba history

that much we already knew

The point is, by knowing his stats, Wilt wasn't doing anything more "villainous" than what today's star players do, yet, some hypocritically accuse only him of being stat-aware.
    Wilt wasn't the only player back then would would play 46-48 minutes in blowout games, either. There have been games vs Russell when one team (usually Russell's) would win by a comfortable margin, yet Russell himself would play almost the whole game. Oscar, same thing, Lucas, same thing. Wilt was still the mpg leader, but wasn't the only one getting huge minutes.
    If anyone thinks this is cheating and can't bring about negative consequences, have today's players do the same and pad their own stats, nobody is barring them from doing this.
    When it comes to stat-padding, the NBA had always been stat-friendly. Wilt wouldn't be playing 46 mpg today, but he'd still find a way to pad his stats, like every other superstar does. In today's case, it would be called "competition at C".
    well we ARE talking about wilt thats why i pointed the finger at him.
    i never said that he was the only one doing it and iam not surprissed at all that many others of the same era did it aswell.

however you can absolutly forget about doing it today. i don't give a rats ass about today's player wanting to do the same thing. they aren't doing it.
    it is not happening.

i also don't give a rats ass about you not caring about them doing it.
    the rest of the world does not like it hence why you don't see it anymore.
    of course ther is no rule to prevent anyone to do it, but that doesn't make any diffrence at all about what i said.

sure wilt is not anything less of a human or player for doing it, it wasn't my intention to make him look like he did something inexcusable.
    but fact remains he did it which makes his stats unusable for any comparission.
    if you wanna put russell in the same boat, just do it
    Last edited by Fazotronic; 01-22-2014 at 11:02 AM.

Durant is playing like a GOD

Banned

One of the greatest hot streaks in NBA history.

Why not 48.5 points games? If we're going arbitrary, why not take it to a whole new level

well we ARE talking about wilt thats why i pointed the finger at him.
    i never said that he was the only one doing it and iam not surprissed at all that many others of the same era did it aswell.

however you can absolutly forget about doing it today. i don't give a rats ass about today's player wanting to do the same thing. they aren't doing it.
    it is not happening.

i also don't give a rats ass about you not caring about them doing it.
    the rest of the world does not like it hence why you don't see it anymore.
    of course ther is no rule to prevent anyone to do it, but that doesn't make any diffrence at all about what i said.

sure wilt is not anything less of a human or player for doing it, it wasn't my intention to make him look like he did something inexcusable.
    but fact remains he did it which makes his stats unusable for any comparission.
    if you wanna put russell in the same boat, just do it
    No, we're not talking SOLELY about Wilt. We're talking about Wilt not being in this specific list, which means the conversation includes the players of the list, as well. You were the one that mentioned Wilt as the guy who counted his stats and then I pointed out that the same thing is true to the others. Therefore, this argument should not have been used in the first place.
    The other argument, about Wilt playing in blowout games, while true, should not necessarily count against him. Why? Because this was NOT meant to be a list of players who have played in the same era, under the same rules, same philosophy, etc. This is a list whose sole criterion is to include the post-ABA days. If a huge stat-padder with huge mpg had played after this ABA era and posted 4 45-pointers in a month by playing 48 mpg in blowout games, this would still have made enough "sense" for the list to include him.
    Everyone could find some excuse to put asterisks, remove historically great performances and make his own favorite list. Hey, let's only count the stats from 1980 and on, since this is when the 3-point shot was implemented. Even better, why not count stats only since zone defenses were implemented? So, suddenly out should go Jordan and Wilkins. And while we're at it, why count stats of players who played for mediocre teams? A big scorer playing for a non-deep team is a good chance for stat-padding by itself. So, take Kobe out, as well.
    But, see, instead of seeing media making up these BS "asterisk" lists, I'd rather see (and have the rest of the world see) the whole list, and then leave anyone to judge for himself WHERE and IF some "asterisk" needs to be added. No ESPN can tell me that the ABA's existence is enough to deserve an asterisk. In the end, if it had been, they could have very well compiled an "excluding solely the seasons the ABA existed" list.

No, we're not talking SOLELY about Wilt. We're talking about Wilt not being in this specific list, which means the conversation includes the players of the list, as well. You were the one that mentioned Wilt as the guy who counted his stats and then I pointed out that the same thing is true to the others. Therefore, this argument should not have been used in the first place.
    The other argument, about Wilt playing in blowout games, while true, should not necessarily count against him. Why? Because this was NOT meant to be a list of players who have played in the same era, under the same rules, same philosophy, etc. This is a list whose sole criterion is to include the post-ABA days. If a huge stat-padder with huge mpg had played after this ABA era and posted 4 45-pointers in a month by playing 48 mpg in blowout games, this would still have made enough "sense" for the list to include him.
    Everyone could find some excuse to put asterisks, remove historically great performances and make his own favorite list. Hey, let's only count the stats from 1980 and on, since this is when the 3-point shot was implemented. Even better, why not count stats only since zone defenses were implemented? So, suddenly out should go Jordan and Wilkins. And while we're at it, why count stats of players who played for mediocre teams? A big scorer playing for a non-deep team is a good chance for stat-padding by itself. So, take Kobe out, as well.
    But, see, instead of seeing media making up these BS "asterisk" lists, I'd rather see (and have the rest of the world see) the whole list, and then leave anyone to judge for himself WHERE and IF some "asterisk" needs to be added. No ESPN can tell me that the ABA's existence is enough to deserve an asterisk. In the end, if it had been, they could have very well compiled an "excluding solely the seasons the ABA existed" list.
    Did Wilt sleep with 20000 lions?

you're wrong. I was quoting someone that was talking about wilt. thats why i only mentioned him.

to the rest of your post i don't even have to answer. just beacause other ppl use the same kind of argument to discredit other players has nothing to do with my argument which i think makes sense and i stand by.
    those other situations are diffrent and have their own arguments as to why it should not be used to discredit player X.