Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park Basketman's Avatar

Default Jumping VS Not Jumping when shooting

Not necessarily NBA related but this is a question I've wondered for a while now.

What is the significance of jumping when shooting? A lot of players I've seen at the park actually don't jump. Does it matter if the player jumps or not?

Good college starter

Default Re: Jumping VS Not Jumping when shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Basketman
    Not necessarily NBA related but this is a question I've wondered for a while now.

What is the significance of jumping when shooting? A lot of players I've seen at the park actually don't jump. Does it matter if the player jumps or not?
    jumping means less ark needed to get above the rim? idk

Quote Originally Posted by Basketman

I guess its just how the person feels when he shoots. I have a friend that leans far back and keeps his arms up high when he shoots, but he doesn't jump. He barely misses either.

NBA Finals

People tend to shoot better without jumping but usually jump because if they dont then they'd get blocked.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Your legs are where all your power comes from.

All I know is Ben Gordon gets high as hell on his shots

NBA rookie of the year

I jump high on pull-ups, but not on set shots (well, I sorta do, but it's a very low jump). My shot/ball fakes given my form (kinda like Larry Bird's) and ability to shoot it w/o jumping give me a good weapon in the triple threat, because I can fake a shot all the way to the point of release and don't have to jump, which gets lots of defenders off their feet or on their heels.

Dishonest, awful excuse of a fan cotdt's Avatar

even wide open shots NBA players jump. it provides lift.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
    Your legs are where all your power comes from.
    This is it

I admit i dont jump as high like Melo when i shoot, i jump as much as Pierce when i shoot... Which is not much

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by IamSofaKing
    I admit i dont jump as high like Melo when i shoot, i jump as much as Pierce when i shoot... Which is not much
    I gotta admit I'm the same as you. I barely jump but honestly the thing is I don't get blocked either. I jump off the ground maybe 4 inches? 5inches? Sometimes if I'm lazy 1inch?

There are times though when a tall defender around my height or just shorter comes to challenge me and I feel like because I don't jump that high to shoot I causes me to be a little uncomfortable, mainly because they'll be able to tap my fingers right after I release it so its got that "close call" feel to it.

Last summer, I tried to jump up like Ben Gordon or melo or ray allen does and shoot it and it just feels very unnatural. At the height of the jump all the ppower is already gone and I find that I just end up pushing or heaving the ball with my arms and it results in shots that end up flat or slip off my hands.

I think this is a very good question for the ISH community. Curious to see what people think. I still have no idea how guys like ben gordon can jump like 2 feet off the ground and still maintain all that power. Makes me feel like I'm shooting like an old man.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by bhallic24
    I gotta admit I'm the same as you. I barely jump but honestly the thing is I don't get blocked either. I jump off the ground maybe 4 inches? 5inches? Sometimes if I'm lazy 1inch?

There are times though when a tall defender around my height or just shorter comes to challenge me and I feel like because I don't jump that high to shoot I causes me to be a little uncomfortable, mainly because they'll be able to tap my fingers right after I release it so its got that "close call" feel to it.

Last summer, I tried to jump up like Ben Gordon or melo or ray allen does and shoot it and it just feels very unnatural. At the height of the jump all the ppower is already gone and I find that I just end up pushing or heaving the ball with my arms and it results in shots that end up flat or slip off my hands.

I think this is a very good question for the ISH community. Curious to see what people think. I still have no idea how guys like ben gordon can jump like 2 feet off the ground and still maintain all that power. Makes me feel like I'm shooting like an old man.
    I'm sure that NBA players have a lot more upper body strength than you.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi
    I'm sure that NBA players have a lot more upper body strength than you.
    true true, i don't doubt that. BG is ripped. like I don't think you can add any more muscle to him without causing him to become unflexible or unagile at this point.

Its all about what you feel comfortable with. I can't shoot without jumping or I will airball but I also cant jump too high or I just find myself pushing the shot in mid air. I jump low but it makes my shot feel most comfortable that way.

Dunking on everybody in the park Basketman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    Its all about what you feel comfortable with. I can't shoot without jumping or I will airball but I also cant jump too high or I just find myself pushing the shot in mid air. I jump low but it makes my shot feel most comfortable that way.
    Now I got another question: is there a player in the NBA that shoots without jumping?