Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Dirk or T-Mac

Banned

If Diirk was black there would be zero question as to whether Dirk is on Duncan's level.

The only reason Dirk is so underrated is because of his race.
    Last edited by FabCasablancas; 11-27-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

haha fab strikes again.

Banned

There's a new Tmacs alias.. write it down!

Quote Originally Posted by FabCasablancas
    If Diirk was black there would be zero question as to whether Dirk is on Duncan's level.

Does the same apply to Yao Ming?

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Fab I'm a Strokes fan myself but damn you're just flat out wrong.

Now I respect Dirk, he's clearly a top 5 player and his career is heads and shoulders above Tmacs. But how the hell is he on Duncan level? Three rings, three finals MVP, won 50+ games every year of his career, with the exception of his rookie year, his team is a "legit contender" every year in the league, played with two totally different supporting casts and still won, never had nearly as talented a squad as what Dirk used to have.

How is Dirk on his level? PLEASE man. Like i said before, Dirk to Duncan is like David Robinson to Hakeem, Ray Allen to Kobe, Melo to Lebron, etc. One level lower.... always. Really, at this point it's too late for dirk to ever catch up, unless he goes on some miraculous run to end his career like winning three straight or something.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Yes, Duncan has 3 rings, so I am not putting the Mavericks on the Spurs level. However, it is wrong to say Dirk's not on Duncan's level.

Unlike Kobe, Duncan can actually use "I have three rings" as reasoning to prove his superiority over another player.

Because Duncan was the best player, by far, on all three championship teams. Duncan also won them with a less than stellar cast, I'm tired of the BS that Duncan has always had stacked teams, he's NEVER had a stacked team until last year, actually, he's always had solid role players on his team, but if not for Duncan's game making everyone else better, his cast of "solid players" wouldn't have won with Kobe, or Tmac, or KG leading it. In 03 especially, duncan won with a rookie Manu, soph Tony Parker, both still raw as hell, an insane Stephen Jackson and a way past his prime DRob.

How does that not put him above Dirk? Dirk has had more talent and have had significantly less playoff success, Duncan is already almost undoubtedly a top 20 player, while Dirk is still arguable for top 50, (I think he is top 50, but really, a case can made against it) Really, How does that not put Duncan a full level ahead of Dirk??????

Banned

they're both completly different types of players who both play the same position at an insanely high level. duncan is a better player over the course of the carreer. its a lot like comparing TMac with Dirk. TMac might be the better 1 on 1 player out of the two, but when you play a team game, you take Dirk over Tmac. Same with Duncan vs Dirk. Dirk might be the better player on a 1 on 1 game between the two right now (not in the past) but when you play a team game, you still take Duncan over Dirk. Duncan just fits the more sucessful system a lot better than Dirk. Dirk is suited to play the Suns type uptempo game, and in today's NBA, that style of play has yet to get further than the WCF. Dallas pretty much had to duplicate that Spurs system to some extent to get to the finals last year. They just didn't have that rock in the middle that makes it work so well.

Dirk v KG tonight, I always have a good time watching these two go at it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSub
    Does the same apply to Yao Ming?
    Somewhat.. but at the same time he is overrated because he is one of the few post players and centers in the league today and is a giant. I would say that Yao is overrated conisdering how little he has done in the NBA.. especialyl comapred to Dirk.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Fab I'm a Strokes fan myself but damn you're just flat out wrong.

Now I respect Dirk, he's clearly a top 5 player and his career is heads and shoulders above Tmacs. But how the hell is he on Duncan level? Three rings, three finals MVP, won 50+ games every year of his career, with the exception of his rookie year, his team is a "legit contender" every year in the league, played with two totally different supporting casts and still won, never had nearly as talented a squad as what Dirk used to have.

How is Dirk on his level? PLEASE man. Like i said before, Dirk to Duncan is like David Robinson to Hakeem, Ray Allen to Kobe, Melo to Lebron, etc. One level lower.... always. Really, at this point it's too late for dirk to ever catch up, unless he goes on some miraculous run to end his career like winning three straight or something.
    First of all.. I was talking about right now. Duncan has declined as of late compared to where he was in the past. I think this is because he no longer has Robinson around. But for whatever rreason he has declined. KG hasn't won anything but most people considered him on Duncan's level before his teams collapse of late. Even without winning. If Dirk or KG played with David Robinson I think they would be the ones with 3 championshps rather than Duncan. Duncan was heavily overrated coming into the league playing with Drob like Kobe and Wade was/is heavily overrated playing with Shaq.

First of all.. I was talking about right now. Duncan has declined as of late compared to where he was in the past. I think this is because he no longer has Robinson around. But for whatever rreason he has declined. KG hasn't won anything but most people considered him on Duncan's level before his teams collapse of late. Even without winning. If Dirk or KG played with David Robinson I think they would be the ones with 3 championshps rather than Duncan. Duncan was heavily overrated coming into the league playing with Drob like Kobe and Wade was/is heavily overrated playing with Shaq.
    I love dirk, dont care for duncan but Drob was lucky to play with duncan moreso than Duncan was to play with Drob. Yes the admiral was still solid when he played with duncan but he wasnt the mid 90s superstar we all remember either. plus Duncan won a ring without him.

Overall Careerwise, there is no argument whatsoever, Duncan >>>> Dirk. Now as for the current time being there is an argument to be made either way but for the career its not that close to be honest even though it kills me to say that. Dirk needs at least 2 rings to make it close.

Good High School Starter lakers-city's Avatar

no, robinson didnt mean as much to duncan as vis versa, not even close, duncan MADE robinson a champion, not the other way around, robinson was to duncan what shaq was to wade this finals, robinson never averaged over 17 ppg in the finals and he didnt do a thing without duncan in his career.

stop overrating robinson just to diss duncan (the reason robinson has rings) and to hype garnett and dirk (players who arent in duncan's level) i mean seriously, what is SO different between what shaq did for the lakers and what duncan did for the spurs ? duncan never had 3 different superstars sidekicks, hell he never had even one.

duncan was the driver, and robinson was the sidekick who was riding beyyoch on board him.

as soon as duncan won a ring without robinson this theory became useless, and that was 3 years ago !
    Last edited by lakers-city; 11-27-2006 at 05:29 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

How about because Duncan has some NBA championship rings and Dirk has none?

Playing the race card is just plain lame and there's no room for it in here....

Good High School Starter lakers-city's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalMike
    How about because Duncan has some NBA championship rings and Dirk has none?

Playing the race card is just plain lame and there's no room for it in here....

hey, but 12 ppg david robinson GAVE duncan his championships

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lakers-city
    hey, but 12 ppg david robinson GAVE duncan his championships

LOL!!!