Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Heat fan since 2010

Default Re: Why is Kareem Abdul Jabbar so Underrated?

Quote Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
    but why cant Kareem be consider better than Bird, Magic or MJ?
    He is considered better than Bird and Magic, just not MJ...

But then why is it that MJ>Kobe
    There are some that argue that Kobe is greater/better than MJ....I'm not one of those people, but I do know for a fact that there are people out there that do believe that. I think when Kobe retires, more people will understand how close the comparison of Kobe vs. MJ will be.

Nonsense. I'm the concensus #2 option for GOAT, onlyone arguable for #1 also.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by RUCKER
    Because everyone has Hakeem Olajuwon ranked above him. For good reason too, Hakeem showed him up every time they met on the court.
    Kareem faced Hakeem when he was the oldest player in the league. They put Hakeem on Kareem for a couple of games and Kareem scored 46 pts and 43 pts in back to back games - and he was 39 years old. He liked to teach any up and coming center he faced a lesson. He also put 40 pts on rookie Ewing that year. First game he played against Walton he gave him 50/15/11 (yes...a 50 point triple double).

http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...g=2074,1339920
    ^ Here's the recap from Kareem's 46 pt game on Hakeem...

Worthy after the game: "Kareem always plays better against Olajuwon. It's because of all the comparisons. He's been around 17 years but he still has to show the kids that he's the best."

Hakeem after the game: "He played real tough. I tried to go around him and steal the ball but he slipped around me and went to the basket."

LA Times recap after the game:

While Akeem Olajuwon spent the whole game trying to steal the ball from Abdul-Jabbar, the Laker center spent the whole game throwing down a breathtaking series of hook shots on his way to a 46-point explosion.

For some reason, Rocket Coach Bill Fitch thinks it is a good idea to let Olajuwon go one-on-one with Abdul-Jabbar. It proved to be the biggest coaching blunder in any Laker game this season.

Abdul-Jabbar made 21 of 30 shots in 37 minutes to reach his high this season. He probably could have scored 50 points (his career high is 55) had he played any longer.

I have KAJ as GOAT 0.o

He was the best player I have ever seen play

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Bill Simmons put it perfectly, he peaked during the dark ages of the NBA while having little team success when he first got to the Lakers. And some people just remember his later years when he couldn't defend or rebound when the NBA became popular during the mid-late 80's.
    This is it.

For the record everyone I talk to or read (with a few exceptions), whose opinion I value, has it down to six (Magic, Bird, Russ, Wilt, MJ, Kareem) in the conversation. I have it down to those six and think two stand out because of their drive to continue being great in the team game.

Jabbar is to me, the only guy who rivals Wilt in terms of individual brilliance.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C.Z.Money
    Maybe because he didn't win shit in the 70's

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Because everyone has Hakeem Olajuwon ranked above him. For good reason too, Hakeem showed him up every time they met on the court.

He was in his late 30's, early 40's when he played against Olajuwon. His defense might have slipped at that point, but no one ever stopped the skyhook.

Why is it when people discuss the Greatest player of all time the names that usually pop up are Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird or even Bill Russell, but rarely mention Kareem? I wasnt old enough(I'm 17 years old) to watch Kareem play. But i heard he was like a 7'2 version of Tim Duncan!!

Kareem won 6 titles same as M.J, won 6 MVP award which is more than anyone ever in the entire NBA, most career points scored and has been to 19 allstar games.

ISH whats up with that?
    Olajuwon and KAJ are my top 2 center.

Bol'd over

And Kareem didn't?!? You seriously need to learn a thing or two about basketball before posting ridiculous one-sided articles.

Local High School Star

He should always be ranked ahead of Magic and neck and neck with Bird,i have no problem with someone having him #1 but he is 3rd on my list,and he should be ranked no lower than 4th anything under that is blasphemy and Russell and Magic are not top 5.
    Last edited by T-bomb 25; 11-19-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDPrime2030
    He is considered better than Bird and Magic, just not MJ...

There are some that argue that Kobe is greater/better than MJ....I'm not one of those people, but I do know for a fact that there are people out there that do believe that. I think when Kobe retires, more people will understand how close the comparison of Kobe vs. MJ will be.
    alright thanks bro

Saw a basketball once

I'm new around here and haven't got a feel for the board dynamics yet.......but I think you were just totally b!tch-slapped with the facts.
    Last edited by Olliehoops; 11-19-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Kareem faced Hakeem when he was the oldest player in the league. They put Hakeem on Kareem for a couple of games and Kareem scored 46 pts and 43 pts in back to back games - and he was 39 years old. He liked to teach any up and coming center he faced a lesson. He also put 40 pts on rookie Ewing that year. First game he played against Walton he gave him 50/15/11 (yes...a 50 point triple double).

http://news.google.ca/newspapers?id=...g=2074,1339920
    ^ Here's the recap from Kareem's 46 pt game on Hakeem...

Worthy after the game: "Kareem always plays better against Olajuwon. It's because of all the comparisons. He's been around 17 years but he still has to show the kids that he's the best."

Hakeem after the game: "He played real tough. I tried to go around him and steal the ball but he slipped around me and went to the basket."

LA Times recap after the game:

While Akeem Olajuwon spent the whole game trying to steal the ball from Abdul-Jabbar, the Laker center spent the whole game throwing down a breathtaking series of hook shots on his way to a 46-point explosion.

For some reason, Rocket Coach Bill Fitch thinks it is a good idea to let Olajuwon go one-on-one with Abdul-Jabbar. It proved to be the biggest coaching blunder in any Laker game this season.

Abdul-Jabbar made 21 of 30 shots in 37 minutes to reach his high this season. He probably could have scored 50 points (his career high is 55) had he played any longer.
    REAL TALKS BRO!!

Quote Originally Posted by Olliehoops
    I'm new around here and haven't got a feel for the board dynamics yet.......but I think you were just totally *****-slapped with the facts.
    Welcome to the InsideHoopsForums bro!!

I am OnceInADECADE biggest Michael Beasley fan/homer

and Rucker is an annoying stupid poster

Quote Originally Posted by T-bomb 25
    He should always be ranked ahead of Magic and neck and neck with Bird,i have no problem with someone having him #1 but he is 3rd on my list,and he should be ranked no lower than 4th anything under that is blasphemy and Russell and Magic are not top 5.
    but why Russell and no Wilt?

Am i missing something here?