Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The battle for rank #10 all time... Hakeem vs Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by NugzHeat3
    Chalk one more up for the infamous COY curse.

"Chaney was terrible." The words of every Houston fan I've ever come across.

EDIT: I don't blame Hakeem for the late 80s either since the drop off in talent was pretty big from that finals squad and he didn't have much to work with. I was mostly focusing on the early 90s where I do feel he deserves some flack.
    I always like your comments when it comes to Hakeem since you are one of few on this board who actually know what you're talking about.

Regarding the games during the back-to-backs I may be able to help you. My father worked abroad in the early to mid-90's (they don't show Rocket games in Sweden, no NBA games actually) and he became a huge Rocket fan during that time period and I have almost all the games on VHS from the back to backs (playoffs). When I have time I'll try to get them online when I find all of the tapes. I'll inform you then!

Regarding Hakeem and the Rockets in the early 90's before the '93 season.. Those 3 seasons really can't be blamed on Hakeem, sure, in the playoffs of the 90's playoffs he didn't play well but at the same time, no player would win it all with guys like Maxwell, Sleep "chucker" Floyd (hate him) and Otis Thorpe. No star power what so ever beside Hakeem.

In '91 even though earlier injury problems that season Hakeem still played really well in the playoffs but half on that team were scrubs. They played with 9 players in the playoffs and you don't win any playoff games when the name of your bench players are Dave Jamerson, David Wood, Larry Smith (worst FT-shooter ever, haha) and non-prime Sleepy.

In '92 they didn't even make the playoffs even though they had a winning record and yes, I agree that it was an off year for Hakeem but still he didn't have a good enough team to make it far.

And yeah, in '93 they got robbed big time..

Hakeem gets some crap for not being able to take his teams any further in the early 90's but at the same time, people give him that crap because he was able to take a bunch of role players all the way to the title in 94 and in 95 (minus Clyde) and therefor they expected him to do the same in the early 90's as well.

And some people think he just had 2 good years but just if they'd open their eyes they would see how epic some of his playoff performances in the 80's were. If he'd have some decent players at least around him at that time he'd get alot more recognition for his play back then and now.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: The battle for rank #10 all time... Hakeem vs Kobe

Kobe>Hakeem.