Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Guy on my team starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    honestly, basketball is a sport where, if you are a generally temperamental, your emotions can get the better of you very easily. 1) because basketball is a very physically and mentally taxing sport sometimes, especially in really competitive games and 2) people like this tend not to see their own faults until they've calmed down/stopped playing so they generally will try to find what everyone else is doing wrong.

Every one has bad days. The fact he apologized leads me to believe it was just that. I run with my boys and we get into arguments ALL THE TIME. But the fact of the matter is once we step outside of those lines we know that, if we went to far, we should be man enough to own that. Doesn't necessarily mean you have to accept an apology, just something to think about.

If it's just some guy you know from playing at that gym for a while and you don't know him that well, a hearty f*ck you always makes me feel better
    I agree with u saying basketball can be a taxing and physical sport where tempers can escalate. I'm not giving him an out though here due to him not bashing the big Black dude on our team or the 6'2 Asian guy. It was cowardly to blame me.

Yes u can have bad days but he's not allowed to take his frustrations in life out on me. I'm sick and tired of it.

Emotions are for amateurs. I hate it when a guy misses a shot and then cusses himself out and doesn't get back on D or mope. It's so annoying.

Default Re: Guy starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    If you balled for 3 years and nothing happened then it happened once, then I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if he apologized. Maybe he felt closer to you and thus more able to express his disappointment.

I have a complex about people blaming me for shit that isn't my fault, too, but I would let this one go.

-Smak
    I've known him for 3 years but only played ball with him like 30 times. The only reason he apologized was because I stood up to him by saying "F you" to him.

I'm not letting this one go though. Thanks for the advice though. I'm done dealing with these fools. THere's no need for him to apologize and there's no need for me and him to be friends or anything else.

Greatest Of All Time Baller1986's Avatar

Default Re: Guy on my team starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

That guy is an idiot. I'll punch him in the mouth if he starts screaming at me. You don't that $hit in front of another players.

Quote Originally Posted by Baller1986
    That guy is an idiot. I'll punch him in the mouth if he starts screaming at me. You don't that $hit in front of another players.
    Yea he is an idiot and a coward. If I did punch him, I don't think anyone would ever yell at me again in the gym lol.

If u keep allowing people to take advantage of u, they will.

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Next time he plays, walk by his gym bag and dump gatorade into it. Don't forgive or forget, get even!

Quote Originally Posted by devin112
    Next time he plays, walk by his gym bag and dump gatorade into it. Don't forgive or forget, get even!
    Lol, no I won't be childish and stoop to his immature level. I won't forgive or forget though. I hate cowards who pick on little guys.

Separate yourself from assholes. They add nothing to your life.

Be cordial, wave, chat; nice, superficial stuff if you want to. Then move on.

Too many people looking to excuse piss poor behavior. He's a bully and a dick. Unless you desire to hang out with those categories, strike him from the list. Anybody who berates a casual aquaintance, especially one he's twice the size of, over a game is a jerkoff.

Default Re: Guy starts screaming/yelling at me after we lose a pick up game at gym

competitive pick up games get you that sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Separate yourself from assholes. They add nothing to your life.

Be cordial, wave, chat; nice, superficial stuff if you want to. Then move on.

Too many people looking to excuse piss poor behavior. He's a bully and a dick. Unless you desire to hang out with those categories, strike him from the list. Anybody who berates a casual aquaintance, especially one he's twice the size of, over a game is a jerkoff.
    Thanks for the comments. Wise words from you indeed. Truer words have never been spoken.

I played some 5 on 5 games on Friday and he was not there and my teammates played solid D, we shared the ball, and it was a tie game until I hit a runner and then a game winning 3 pointer to win the game.

Everyone had a good time and shook hands after the game and displayed good sportsmanship. They all gave me props for good shooting too. This is what makes pick up basketball fun for me and reminds me why I enjoy the game.

The idiotic bully won't ruin my joy for the game. Thanks again for the great advice.

Decent playground baller

not to hijack your thread, but this brings me to a problem i had too lol.

few weeks ago, was playing full court 5 v 5. I was the odd man out within a group of 4 other people. So basically, im kinda the same as u and am pretty quiet and i wont tell my teammates what to do and just play. Pretty much the whole game i barely touched the ball, and whenever i did i scored with it. I was pretty much perfect the whole game, and scored liek 3 times off steals. But my teammates were pretty much ignoring me for some reason, was it because i was quiet?

one play that particular pissed me off was when i got a rebound and i was going for the fast break, and i managed to get through like 4 defenders. Teammates couldnt keep up with me, and it ended up being 1v4, so me being the smart player, decided to back out and set up our offense. Now the part that made me seriously wanna punch someone was when our point guard literally ran up to me and snatched the ball like i was going to lose it or soemthing. that ****in' pissed me off, and i swear if i see that guy again im decking him

but back to my question:

do people think u suck cuz ur quiet, and not assertive in game?

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Underballer

few weeks ago, was playing full court 5 v 5. I was the odd man out within a group of 4 other people. So basically, im kinda the same as u and am pretty quiet and i wont tell my teammates what to do and just play. Pretty much the whole game i barely touched the ball, and whenever i did i scored with it. I was pretty much perfect the whole game, and scored liek 3 times off steals. But my teammates were pretty much ignoring me for some reason, was it because i was quiet?

one play that particular pissed me off was when i got a rebound and i was going for the fast break, and i managed to get through like 4 defenders. Teammates couldnt keep up with me, and it ended up being 1v4, so me being the smart player, decided to back out and set up our offense. Now the part that made me seriously wanna punch someone was when our point guard literally ran up to me and snatched the ball like i was going to lose it or soemthing. that ****in' pissed me off, and i swear if i see that guy again im decking him

but back to my question:

Lots of punks playing ball, the key is to have all of them on the opposing team. If theyre on ur team, not much u can do. Find guys u can play with, befriend them, hit each other up when its time to ball. Then go find some bitches to punk. Its so much more fun when ure playing with people who know ur game

College superstar

I understand your frustration, but if he was yelling at you and he was messing up as well, you should have gotten right back in his face and called him out for it.

Maybe he's roid raging since you mention he's pretty built and works out constantly. He could have just had a momentary lapse in judgement and now regrets it since you guys were sorta friends before. I would forgive him this one time, it's a game and there might be other stuff going on in his life that you might not know about.

but back to my question:

Most guys think I suck because I'm skinny, Asian, and wear glasses. So that's 3 strikes already lol. Yea, I'm not assertive in games either and try to let the game come to me and I am an elite passer like Steve Nash and know how to set up guys and find cutters etc.

So I pass a lot and a lot of these idiots consider "passing" to be a weakness. I have a great jumper and can score in multiple ways and my range is to around 35 or 40 feet (yea crazy range).

Most dudes just disrespect because they think too highly of themselves and are cocky. I get along with a lot of the guys at the gym for the most part because I'm a chill guy and I'm a nice person and I am not a selfish ball hog that takes hero shots. So what's not to like really?

As for your story, those guys didn't pass to u because they probably don't know u and just want to pass to their friends. They are idiots.

but back to my question:

Can't believe that idiot snatched the ball from u. Disrespectful. Don't worry about it. U have cooled off by now and realize he is an idiot. It's best to keep ur emotions in check.

I always try to think about the next play or possession. If I miss a jumper or layup, I don't get mad and just get back on D and get ready to score or make an assist on the next possession.

I hate it when dudes get all mad when they miss or turn the ball over and don't get back on Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by devin112
    Lots of punks playing ball, the key is to have all of them on the opposing team. If theyre on ur team, not much u can do. Find guys u can play with, befriend them, hit each other up when its time to ball. Then go find some bitches to punk. Its so much more fun when ure playing with people who know ur game
    The people u don't want on ur team are ball hogs, guys who take hero shots, and guys who suck and are lazy on D lol.

by the way, I saw that idiot who yelled at me today at the gym and he was lifting weights in the weight room and was far away from the b ball gym and we just looked at each other from far away.