Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Will this Jazz team ever contend?

And if not, what do they lack?
    I'd love to think that they will in the future, but I have a tough time seeing them get to the level of the Spurs/Warriors/Cavs anytime soon. They have a ton of great pieces, but no-clear cut superstar, and haven't even had an all-star since like 2011. Unless Gordon Hayward or Derrick Favors just outright explode and become invincible (which to me seems unlikely), they won't ever really have a shot at the title. Also, it'd be way hard for them to attract any big-name free agent, seeing as they almost never really have done so.

Default Re: Will this Jazz team ever contend?

You need superstars to win unless you can put together a historically great "team first" team like the Pistons a decade ago. Utah has no potential superstars right now. If everything goes right I can see them consistently contending as a 4-6 seed for a long time.

Gordon hayward I think will make the step into stardom next year and with Kanter gone and Gobert starting their defense will improve a lot. I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.

Banned

They need a PG. Burke/Exum might be the worst PG/backup combo in the league

PG position is a complete mess. Too early to give up on Exum though (but if they need to make a big move, move him)
    Still need an 'it' guy imo.

Banned

I don't see one of those team work type rosters and I don't see a star either so they need to make a move imo.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I don't see one of those team work type rosters and I don't see a star either so they need to make a move imo.
    I can see a team work roster. They just have a really shitty PG rotation. I think it'd be cool to see a superstar go to Utah but idk if they have ever signed a notable FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    I can see a team work roster. They just have a really shitty PG rotation. I think it'd be cool to see a superstar go to Utah but idk if they have ever signed a notable FA.

They keep getting and moving big men without ever addressing the PG situation. They are like a less retarded version of the Nuggets in terms of roster-building incompetency (not specifically PGs).

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus
    They keep getting and moving big men without ever addressing the PG situation. They are like a less retarded version of the Nuggets in terms of roster-building incompetency (not specifically PGs).
    Yeah it's kinda weird. Are they investing in Trey Burke (terrible)?
    Exum I understand but... I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?

I am your soldier!

Hire Thibs as head coach. Get a PG. Get a 20+ppg scorer.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Yeah it's kinda weird. Are they investing in Trey Burke (terrible)?
    Exum I understand but... I guess maybe Burke's value is so low it's not worth trading him?
    Yeah, I was a lot more hyped about Trey Burke when we first drafted him, but his sophomore step back isn't very encouraging. What can they do to get a better point guard though? Draft him? They've drafted 2 the last 2 years, and they aren't really the best 1-2 punch. Free agency? I really don't see any high quality PG's coming over to Utah any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Yeah, I was a lot more hyped about Trey Burke when we first drafted him, but his sophomore step back isn't very encouraging. What can they do to get a better point guard though? Draft him? They've drafted 2 the last 2 years, and they aren't really the best 1-2 punch. Free agency? I really don't see any high quality PG's coming over to Utah any time soon.
    Well, picking better could help. 2013 draft was weak but in 2014 Elfrid was there in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Holy shit you're back! I was literally just thinking about you a day or two ago. Didn't recognize you. How was your trip?

Frontcourt wise, they are set. They need more firepower in the backcourt and bench.

Hayward is a good player but he can't carry a team all the way offensively.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TripleA
    Gordon hayward I think will make the step into stardom next year and with Kanter gone and Gobert starting their defense will improve a lot. I say their ceiling is limited unless they become a dominant defensive team.
    They were far and away the best defensive team in the league last year after they traded Anus. Granted, a relatively small sample size of about 30 games, but that's still large enough to say that it isn't a fluke