Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Until the day they lay me to the ground, I will wonder why they block the CP3 trade

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    Just as the Clippers arent going to trade Blake Griffin to the Lakera... ever, no matter the reason.

David Stern (the owner, not commissioner) didnt feel okay with letting cp3 go to the Lakers so they could rule the nba again as they always have.

Is that bad logic?
    The NBA should have let the Hornest GM have total autonomy on the trades made on behalf of the team. It was a total conflict of interest for the NBA to own the team and dictate the team's moves. Either the GM had total control to make whatever moves he saw fit or he approved the deal with Stern, but Stern folded to the public pressure of Dan Gilbert and Cuban's toddler like tantrums. The trade should have never been vetoed in the first place or the Hornets shouldn't have been able to make any moves until an owner was found.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Until the day they lay me to the ground, I will wonder why they block the CP3 trade

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    The NBA should have let the Hornest GM have total autonomy on the trades made on behalf of the team. It was a total conflict of interest for the NBA to own the team and dictate the team's moves. Either the GM had total control to make whatever moves he saw fit or he approved the deal with Stern, but Stern folded to the public pressure of Dan Gilbert and Cuban's toddler like tantrums. The trade should have never been vetoed in the first place or the Hornets shouldn't have been able to make any moves until an owner was found.
    The NBA also very obviously rigged the draft to give the Pelicans the no.1 overall.

Lots of shady sh*t and back door politics going on.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    The NBA also very obviously rigged the draft to give the Pelicans the no.1 overall.

and rigged it to give cavs 3 first round picks

decks are stacked against Kobe in the league

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    the greatest tragedy of kobe's career is that he played for the lakers, all that unnecessary hate and scrutiny. the guy was guaranteed for 6+ rings anywehreelse he would have gone
    Really? Because Kobe's career has been something of a failure without Phil Jackson (bench rider, misses Playoffs, team crumbles to irrelevance), and he isn't on any other team.

NBA Finals

I agree with your last sentence but it is what it is and its understandable from my pov.

I dont even understand who the Hornets were in that situation? Did the owner sell the team to the league? Or was he suspended or something?

Mostly because of Dan Gilbert bitching about superteams who now fell face first into possibly forming his own.

When a team is owned by the league, it is the 29 other owners who are footing the bill and become defacto owners of said team. The league was allowing Demps to work with autonomy but no more so than any owner would let his GM work in most cases. When Demps had a deal in place that the a number of the other owners felt was uneven (read: the owners of New Orleans at the time), it was well within their rights to block the trade via the commissioner, who never had unilateral power in this matter and was specifically acting as a mouth piece for the people who were footing the bill of the Hornets/Pelicans.

NBA All-star

The other owners of the NBA were unhappy having to pump their money into a franchise that was going to help out the NBA's "priveleged bunch" in the Lakers to get yet another star player.

So they went and made a stink about it to Stern. Stern caved to their pressure.

That's pretty much all that happened.
    and in return, they created the new priviledged bunch

ones who underpay their star player
    ones who are gifted top picks
    ones who got the compensation top pick

all for everyone to stay quiet, just so Stern could get away with whatever else he'd like to do.

anyone seen that documentary movie about the financial crisis that's got a great cast to it and as to what happened behind closed door?

talk about making deals between bankers

Titled: Inside Job

Very good NBA starter

I'm not conspiracy theorist but the rigging couldn't have been any more blatant than that. Stern was such a complete crook, the whole veto was bullsh!t because the Hornets didn't get a shitty enough package. Not to mention they end up trading the Hornets to the Clippers which just reeks of big market appeasement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
    I agree with your last sentence but it is what it is and its understandable from my pov.

I dont even understand who the Hornets were in that situation? Did the owner sell the team to the league? Or was he suspended or something?
    The Hornets were in financial trouble so the league took ownership of the team until they found a buyer. I believe all other 29 owners took an ownership stake, but it was never explicitly stated that the GM needed approval from all 29 other owners to make any moves. Stern approved the move, there's no reason to believe that a GM wouldn't consult with the defacto owner of the team before pulling the trigger on such an important trade.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

I'm not conspiracy theorist but the rigging couldn't have been any more blatant than that. Stern was such a complete crook, the whole veto was bullsh!t because the Hornets didn't get a shitty enough package. Not to mention they end up trading the Hornets to the Clippers which just reeks of big market appeasement.

The Hornets were in financial trouble so the league took ownership of the team until they found a buyer. I believe all other 29 owners took an ownership stake, but it was never explicitly stated that the GM needed approval from all 29 other owners to make any moves. Stern approved the move, there's no reason to believe that a GM wouldn't consult with the defacto owner of the team before pulling the trigger on such an important trade.
    yup so absolutely blatant its revoltinhg

when kobe hangs it up. I'm gone with him

The league didn't make that trade because the GM of the Hornets/Pelicans made the deal and then the owner had to approve it. The league was the owner.

If anything, the deal shouldn't have been made public until it was approved and we never would have known about it. Nobody "Pulled the trigger" on that trade.

Worked out ok for the the Hornets/Pelicans considering they scored AD who will probably be the best big man for years to come
    Last edited by ralph_i_el; 07-12-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

Because the Clippers deal was better than the Lakers deal and as owner of the team, Stern decided to take the better deal.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Mostly because of Dan Gilbert bitching about superteams who now fell face first into possibly forming his own.
    This.

Plus, the NBA wants to boost its small market teams.

If you want to make yourself look like a moron in the NBA and lose respect from all its viewers, all you have to do is block a CP3 to Kobe Lakers trade and then allow a Bron, Wade, Bosh collaboration.

kobe was treated like the ugly middle child, league wanted to move on from him as soon as possible, tales of his demise were always greatly exaggerated and premature.

league robbed kobe of at least 2 rings
    the greatest tragedy of kobe's career is that he played for the lakers, all that unnecessary hate and scrutiny. the guy was guaranteed for 6+ rings anywehreelse he would have gone
    Most delusional thing anyone has ever said on this forum in the years I've been posting.

THE LAKERS WERE HOLDING KOBE BACK THE LEAGUE ROBBED HIM OF RINGS 2002 KINGS SHAQ WASN'T THE BEST PLAYER POOR LITTLE KOBE THE PUBLIC WAS SO MEAN TO HIM AFTER HE RAPED

If Kobe was in any other situation he would have ended up on the Wade/Barkley/KG tier

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    This.

Plus, the NBA wants to boost its small market teams.
    Boost that small market LOS ANGELES Clippers. That's a good one.