Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wilt's upper body is huge, his "average/thin body" in photos is an optical illusion

What optical illusion? Who says Wilt has an average/thin body?

It's pretty damn clear the man was really big/buff (as it gets) like since his mid/late 20's.

Default Re: Wilt's upper body is huge, his "average/thin body" in photos is an optical illusion

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    What optical illusion? Who says Wilt has an average/thin body?

It's pretty damn clear the man was really big/buff (as it gets) like since his mid/late 20's.
    I've honestly heard people say he "looks too thin" to be considered as strong as the stories surrounding him suggest, or as strong as modern strong-looking bigs like Shaq/Dwight. Maybe they were just trolling, but it's definitely been said and I think some of the people saying it at least, were being serious

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW

(Full Size)
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P...0/WiltShaq.jpg

lol, man you need to chill with the disrespectful comments like "made me laugh flat out lie!" . How bout we keep the discussion intelligent and not turn this into a flaming session?

You brought up a good point about showing peak strength Wilt vs peak strength Shaq and peak athleticism Wilt vs peak athleticism Shaq - I actually agree with you and didn't see it that way the first time, so pardon me, please.

Now, showing the images this way does close the gap so it's a good and fair idea to show them this way. Wilt particularly as a Sixer looks more or less (strictly speaking musculature) the "same size" (in upper body mass) as Orlando Shaq although even in that image to me it looks like his bone structure around his shoulders and lats look a little broader but that could also be due to their posture. If you look at Lakers Wilt - he still looks like he has the larger bone structure in his upper body particularly around his neck and shoulders and upper arms, than the Laker version of Shaq.

From what I've noticed comparing images, footage, etc the biggest physical differences between where Wilt and Shaq's mass lies is in how their limbs are proportioned - particularly the legs. Wilt has a very short compact torso, and also shorter hands/feet than Shaq (9.5" length hands vs Shaq's 11" long hands - 15 shoe vs 22 shoe). What that translates too (being that they are of similar height and similar wingspan), is that Wilt has significantly longer arm bones and longer leg bones than Shaq - it makes Wilt appear much thinner in photograph (thus, w/o a visual scale, he appears "skinnier") than he actually is if scaled up close next to someone for direct visual reference to size. Also, things like Shaq's shoulders when they transition to his arms for example have deeper more sinewy grooves in them which also lends to a more chiseled/muscled appearance in his arms, but side by side if we're looking at size alone his arms and shoulders actually look smaller than Wilt's.

Upper body scaled comparisons with a guy like Shaq IMO helps show why Wilt had such incredible upper body strength and I think it adds plausibility to the stories of his incredible feats of strength. If you guys think I'm being unfair with my assessment here and wanna talk legs or have more images shown to try and even the table because you think I'm "dissing Shaq" or something I will happily oblige. Wilt has the upper hand in upper body strength over Shaq IMO, but it's just as clear to me if not even clearer that Shaq has far more massive legs - also especially from Lakers years and on, a very large layer of blubber which even though it isn't muscle it still adds potential weight/stability in the post and would make his momentum hard to stop once he's moving. His legs look like massive tree stumps compared to Wilt's - they are not only slightly shorter in length (which might lend more torque/stability), they are also very visibly thicker. So I'm not saying Wilt strength > Shaq strength end of story, this topic strictly addressed their upper body - not their overall strength in the pivot/etc.

What the hell are you talking about? You don't make any good points. You don't even make points. You just bring up how big Wilt was in every other thread you create. You have nothing to say and you therefore add nothing to the discourse. Whenever you talk about the older players, I facepalm. And the reason is because your posts are stupid and it's like you're some super troll whose real aim is to subversively knock the old players, as every post you make about them reeks of a sad fistpump from an outdated snob who's hanging on.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    interesting... i hadn't factored that stuff in for some reason.

if someone could come up with as many body measurements for the group of them, that would be interesting. and why not russell, too... since he was wilt's greatest nemesis? maybe even create (infer) silhouettes of them without their duds.
    I can do that tonight maybe, I've got a Russell pic that would be perfect. I've got some measurements of Russell too:
    6-9.63" height w/o shoes
    7-4" wingspan
    10.5" hand length

Wilt:
    7-1.06" height w/o shoes
    7-8" wingspan
    9.5" hand length
    11.5" hand width (thumb to pinky spread)
    9-6" standing reach (Probably measured in Converse Chucks)
    9-5.75" est reach w/o shoes

Shaq
    7-0.88" height w/o shoes
    7-7" wingspan
    11" hand length
    9" hand width
    *9-5" measured standing reach (in 1" thick shoes)
    9-4" reach w/o shoes

Dwight:
    6-9 height w/o shoes
    7-4.5" wingspan
    *9-3.5" measured standing reach (in 1.25" thick shoes)
    9-2.25" reach w/o shoes
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoah10115
    What the hell are you talking about? You don't make any good points. You don't even make points. You just bring up how big Wilt was in every other thread you create. You have nothing to say and you therefore add nothing to the discourse. Whenever you talk about the older players, I facepalm. And the reason is because your posts are stupid and it's like you're some super troll whose real aim is to subversively knock the old players, as every post you make about them reeks of a sad fistpump from an outdated snob who's hanging on.
    Are you having a bad day today Whoah10115? Add me to your ignore list, avoid my threads, pretend I don't exist, problem solved

   

that's a very good start, but running with your earlier point, i wonder if we could get some thickness measurements for them, like waist, neck, chest, thighs, biceps, etc? i know, i know... probably wishful thinking...

but if someone could show that wilt's chest measurement was almost the same size as shaq's or dwight's, it could go a long way in these types of discussions.

shaker square, out until next post.
    actually i need to meet a buddy soon, so i'll prolly check in later tonight.

It's something that can be easily deduced from his level of domination. One could not put up those numbers without being tall and huge.

Are you having a bad day today Whoah10115? Add me to your ignore list, avoid my threads, pretend I don't exist, problem solved

Why should I do that when I can call out how dumb these threads are? Again, what are you adding to the discourse? You post about whether or not Dwight is even that strong and all that...for what, to fill an agenda?

You have the benefit of research and this is what you come up with? Sorry, that's wasteful.

Why should I do that when I can call out how dumb these threads are? Again, what are you adding to the discourse? You post about whether or not Dwight is even that strong and all that...for what, to fill an agenda?

You have the benefit of research and this is what you come up with? Sorry, that's wasteful.
    You are an angry angry person

You are an angry angry person

I guess. Tho it may just be that you have nothing to say.

I guess. Tho it may just be that you have nothing to say.
    What am I supposed to say to someone who says my threads are a wasteful? Stop bumping them if they are a waste, add me to ignore, etc. If my threads are so wasteful then you know what else is?, the people who bump them, particularly with only negative things to say - have a nice day Whoah10115

All 3 of the guys pictured in the first post, meet all the criteria of heavy steroid use.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    All 3 of the guys pictured in the first post, meet all the criteria of heavy steroid use.
    So your assuming they all took steroids then? What's the "criteria", gaining weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague

- Well considering that steroids were first developed in Europe in the 1930's....and most European Athletes have been using them ever since ( both screened and unscreened to go along with agents to mask the use)

- It would be much more likely that the majority of European athletes would use synthasized PED's...most likley to get a edge over the more dominant Western athletes....

- and as Basketball has proven 90% of the time Americans/Westerners are just far more superior to the flacid Euro's.....hence forth why they developed PED's in the first place.

- **** Nazi's and all the other ignorant Greasy Euro's.

What am I supposed to say to someone who says my threads are a wasteful? Stop bumping them if they are a waste, add me to ignore, etc. If my threads are so wasteful then you know what else is?, the people who bump them, particularly with only negative things to say - have a nice day Whoah10115

Missing the point.

Besides, I'm happy to bump.